Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#913894 by buns
01 Dec 2015, 18:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a thoroughly enjoyable two weeks in Orlando (where I discovered the benefits of using Uber in the Greater Orlando area, allowing us to visit Resturants and both enjoy the evening ;-) ) it was time to return back to blighty.

As I mentioned in the outbound TR, the choice of utilising ATL was predicated by the availability of G fares and based on this trip and the outbound, going via Atlanta will be a serious contender in the future.

Anyway, back to the TR. With a 12:30 departure, but with news reports saying there would added security at airports on the run up to Thanksgiving, we left out hotel in plenty of time and used the 417 to get to MCO. The new turn off (17A) is nearly complete and this will allow direct access onto the airport road, rather that going through two sets of lights and a single lane road as at present.

Arriving at a realtively quiet B side, bags were quickly unloaded and I returned the hire car before checking in with Delta. Unlike the experience at Heathrow, there was no problem with interlining the bags all the way to Heathrow, but as we were on separate PNRs, she could not check us in for the VS flight.

Our MCO - ATL leg on Delta was in First Class and we were pleasantly informed that we were TSA Prechecked, allowing us to go through the "Clear" Channel and keep our shoes on and leave laptops in the bags :-D The TSA Security line at this time in the morning was an absolute dream compared to the evening rush with all the european flights and we were through in no time - allowing a breif respite in the Delta Sky Club (courtesy of our Amex Cards).

A very pleasnt flight up to Atlanta got us to Terminal A of the Airport and after dismbarking we made our way to the inter terminal train and were at the international Terminal F within 15 minutes of leaving the aircraft.

The real bonus here is this brings you to the post security side of the Terminal. This is where we made our mistake. Without a boarding card forthe VS portion of our journey, we could not make full use of the very extensive shopping opportunities available - far batter than MCO - of not only the usual Duty Free Shop, but also dedicated concession shops such as Coach, Michael Kors Tommy Hillfiger etc. For future reference, aticket desk does open airside about two hours before the flight, but in the absence of boarding cards, we went landside and formally checked in where our luggage tags from Orlando were linked to our booking.

Back airside, we discovered Jeckyll Island returant on the lower level to have a bite to eat (which of course included our tradition of a final US Hamburger). Whilst not as good as the Ouback Steakhouse, it was a good alternative and provided an opportunity to people watch ;-)

After visiting the Duty Free Shop, we took advantage of the Delta Sky Lounge - very busy at this time of the afternoon. What i did notice is there is now a "drinks menu" which allows you to pay for premuim drinks (such as Hendricks and T10 for thise of you who are lovers of gin) whilst the regualr drinks (such as JD and Bombay) remain complementary.

We went to Gate F5 before it was called in the Lounge and it seemed this was a good move as when we boarded the cabin was already quite full. Escounced in our usual seats of 8 & 9A, a drink was soon offered, but as I spied the prosecco being opened at the bar, I asked if I have a glass of that instead and they hapily obliged.

Maybe it was because it was a full flight, or it was a returning journey, but the crew was not as sparky as the outbound. Nevertheless, the crew was attentive and friendly and whilst there was not outward sign of status, it would sem that we got our drinks first once airborne.

I covered the Trial Menu that was offered on the flight here so i will not add to this further. After the meal I reclined the seat (which needed some manual assistance from me) and settled down to watch "Spy" before grabbing some shut eye. During my sleep, it would appear my pillow - which I had not used- disappeared :-O

As I awoke, I was offdered breakfast and after hearing the choices, opted for the full english - which was surprising good.

During the flight the flight tracker was suggesting an early arrival, but the usal Heathrow delays put paid to this. To add insult to injury, once we had landed, it took up to 5 minutes for the navigation lights at the Gate to be switched on and if this was not enough, the air bridge was still not manned >-(

The usual long walk to Immigration and when we arrived, the queue for the automatic gates was horrendous, so we opted for a human and were through in no time. As we reached the carousel, our priority tagged bags had made it all the way from Orlando and were off with other priority bags.

Met by the Tristar driver, we opted to get home rather than visit Revivals. Just over an hour later (which is good for that time of the morning) we were home to a veryu cold house. It was not just the temperature differnce between Florida and the UK - our boiler had broken down, so shivered for the rest of the day as the Gas Man came to call!!

Thanks for reading
#913897 by Concorde RIP
01 Dec 2015, 19:36
Nice one Buns. I know you really enjoyed your outbound flight, but this one lookd to be reasonable enough.

Thanks for your observations on via ATL as well - very useful to know from a firsthand experience.

Ah, the Outback - as we're in Florida over xmas this year, I'm sure we'll do our usual visit on the way home!
#913898 by sungod
01 Dec 2015, 19:39
sounds like a good trip overall, aside from the pillow thief!

i've not tried that restaurant at ATL (i've used the italian one upstairs), were the chips/fries good? if so i might give it a go next time
#913899 by buns
01 Dec 2015, 19:47
sungod wrote:
i've not tried that restaurant at ATL (i've used the italian one upstairs), were the chips/fries good? if so i might give it a go next time

The place is billed as a fish resturant and has a broad menu. For us the burgers (we will always avoid fish before a flight) were quite good, although the fries were not up to Outback standards. We looked at the upstaris place, but Jekyyll's is much more reasonable.

For those who have not been through ATL, I would add that, unlike MCO, you get to use metal knives and forks.

buns
#913922 by hiljil
02 Dec 2015, 08:29
Thank you for the TR. Glad that overall all went well.

I had exactly the same thing happen with my boiler this October on my return from Florida. Hope all is settled with yours !
#913924 by David
02 Dec 2015, 09:31
Buns,

Nice TR and nice to see that returning via ATL is pretty much as easy as landing there and transferring to MCO.

I seemed to have been lucky ex LHR that everything was booked through and boarding cards issued for both parts even being on 2 separate PNR's - must have been luck of the draw but never ceases to amaze me how procedures are different depending on who or the mood of the person that checks you in.

Its just a pity now that its easy to go to MCO via LHR that Little Red is finished for transfers up to Edinburgh

Anyway, glad you had another great trip to the sunshine state and are probably in planning for the next one ;)

thanks again

David
#913937 by buns
02 Dec 2015, 14:22
hiljil

Thanks - Boiler all fine now

David

Thanks
Yes, the ATL route to MCO was far easier than I had expected and indeed is a better connection than travelling via JFK.

Whilst I was disappointed about not being able to interline at DTCI like yourself, in fact it did not present a problem as on arrival at the Delta Desk at ATL, it was easy peasy - so much so that if we do travel that route again, I will not push the interlining.

buns
#914106 by Hev60
06 Dec 2015, 17:07
Hi Buns enjoyed reading both your trip reports. Flying into Atlanta is an option we will certainly consider for the future. Glad you had enjoyable flights and also good holiday in Orlando. Shame about the boiler, at least it's not been too cold yet.

It's two years since we drove from MCO along the 417, so I found it interesting to read about the planned new entry/exit junction 17a thanks for sharing that Asti sounds as though it will be open by our visit in March.
#924892 by keldanz
13 Aug 2016, 00:24
Lovely to read your TR. We are travelling to MCO via ATL so good to read. Am interested in the delta lounge courtesy of your Amex cards, if you have these are you allowed to use the lounge? Many thanks
Virgin Atlantic