Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#914025 by marshy11
04 Dec 2015, 11:35
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Having left Cornwall on the Monday for our 5 ish hour trek up to LGW we arrived at the Hilton for our pre holiday stay. Executive room in the 'new' wing. Room ok, lounge busy and plentiful on drink.

Normally we use Twilight but this time decided to use check in desks in the morning. We did wonder over at Twilight and a small queue had formed at 4.30 (opens at 5pm). It was good to see two 6 foot signs out for UC and PE pax respectively. It seems at long last a more formal arrangement for premium pax queueing has been arranged.

Up at 5.30am on the Tuesday for the short journey across the terminal to UC check in at 6am. 1 desk open, no other UC pax. The agent was functional but not particularly welcoming or chatty. I know it's early, but it would have been nice for him to at least smile!

We had checked in online at T-22 (it was down at T-24 for maintenance). I did tweet VS who were very quick to tell me it would reopen soon. When I finally managed to get some 3G access around Bristol M5, my trusty iPhone let me check us both in. Seq 007 (for him - apt with only having recently watched Spectre) and 008 for me.

Back to LGW, we were quickly through Premium Security and into the haven of the CH at 6.15am. First through the doors. We took our seats looking across the tarmac and 3 VS aircraft. We did wave to you all from the lounge with pics of our breakfasts.

Boarding (and I can't recall the timings) was 10 minutes overdue so with no call we walked down to the gate. A splattering of people hunting out their boarding passes ahead but nothing in the premium line to board, which meant a walk straight through to our seats.

The cabin was looking airy and in fact we were the first onboard - I took a couple of shots (I do feel awkward taking photos on the plane :blush: ). I like the cabin on this configuration and with only 14 seats it feels very personal. I know the majority love 6A and 6K but we like to be a bit further back and 8A and 9A suited us fine. A party of 4 took the front four seats and they were mildly entertaining with one of them (the alpha female) being a DYKWIA pain the in rear.

Champagne offered, accepted but not refilled. Cabin filled, seat belts on and up (can't recall the numbers or times - too many bubbles by then). But I do know the FSM took time to introduce herself to each and everyone of us. She was a gem, 20 years in post and later at the bar we had a good chat with her about the cuts et al. The crew in our cabin were superb. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was served swiftly and with a very friendly yet professional manner. A letter to Crawley is next on my list.

Meals were so so. Not as nice as some I've had and not as bad as others.

Entertainment was ok, nothing I wanted to watch particularly but I did manage to see an indie film I wouldn't have otherwise seen - Me, Earl and the Dying Girl - which wasn't as depressing as it sounds, actually quite a lovely story.

I snatched an hour or so in sleep, had a trip to the bar and as previously detailed a chat with the FSM. You do feel for them and the demotions/pay cuts. Despite this, there wasn't any moaning, it was a positive attitude and one which sounded like she embraces change with no issue at all.

Eventually time for seat belts and landing into BGI on time.

Overall it was a great flight, with due thanks to the fantastic crew and exclusive feel to the cabin on the 747.

Photos to follow.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.04.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.04.png (468.32 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.33.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.33.png (475.36 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.39.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 10.39.39.png (471.5 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
#914030 by hiljil
04 Dec 2015, 12:09
Thank you for the positive TR. Glad the crew were on form and that you enjoyed the flight. Yes, for me, the exclusive feel of the 747 can't be beaten in UC.

Hope you had a good holiday.
#914038 by ultreen1
04 Dec 2015, 15:09
I love a LGW 747! but don't like flying out of Gatwick...

Great TR, that salad looks lovely!!!

When's the next trip?
#914061 by marshy11
05 Dec 2015, 08:03
ultreen1 wrote:I love a LGW 747! but don't like flying out of Gatwick...

Great TR, that salad looks lovely!!!

When's the next trip?

I love the LGW CH, much more intimate and personal that LHR. The salad was very tasty., as was the beef - even if it looked a little Sunday roast.

As for the next trip, we are in negotiations with our teenage son, it all depends on him. We've plenty of miles so a couple of trips with VS are in the offing, either with or without him.
#914069 by jfenney
05 Dec 2015, 12:02
Thanks for the TR marshy , I have to admit going out on the A330 in Upper is nothing like the 747 cabin so with all this bad weather recently I had to go back to Barbados for Christmas and new year. Managed to get economy seats from Manchester but Upeer seats are available so fingers crossed for upgrades at the desk :-D and the bonus of the 747 is even better love this aircraft :-D
#914079 by Bretty
05 Dec 2015, 19:01
Thanks for posting Marshy, sounds like a great experience with a great FSM leading the crew. How much of a pain in the derrière was the DYKWIA? Let's all have a titter.

Hope the rest of the holiday was just fab and look forward to reading about the return.
Virgin Atlantic