Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#914181 by marshy11
08 Dec 2015, 16:08
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
All too soon we were Gatwick bound after some lovely winter sun in Barbados.

We checked in online and having watched the VS29 start with a delay we knew we would have a short delay. We didn't change the taxi time as we were trying to hit the airport between the mass of flights either side and hoped to avoid a long queue.

Private taxi to the airport and a lovely lady took our cases and issued the lounge pass - she was without doubt the very best ground staff in a non UK airport that I've ever encountered. She was bubbly, professional and very good humoured.

Straight through a short queue (5 minutes no more) and upstairs into the lounge. Plan A had worked.

I can't now recall how late we were to board but we thought we had been called and all traipsed down to the gate to see a queue of UC and PE pax. Rather than return to the lounge we stood chatting to another couple. Eventually, after about 15 minutes the last of the crew appeared from the airport shops (laden with bags) and we were prepared for boarding.

Champagne on boarding, no refill and a little wait before we did eventually taxi. Full cabin for us including 2 tots, 1 right beside us and 1 at the front. The one beside us was a darling, the 1 at the front screamed the entire flight, even through the headphones and we didn't see much activity from the parents in trying to entertain/distract. Having flown with a young one I know it can be impossible, but you do have to make the effort. The couple near us with tot number 2 did make the effort and the little darling played, munched and then slept. Perfect.

It was VERY hot and we were told the aircon wasn't working. Blowers on full and naked legs/arms didn't make much of a difference - duvet was out of the question and it was folded into a bundle to act as a pillow.

A couple of drinks runs before the meal (I stayed on champagne).

Then for the meal. Food was ok, nothing special. The starter was a goats cheese salad. I think the caramelised onions had forgotten to caramelise and the chef decided to add a few spoons of sugar - it was very sweet and gritty. The beef was good though. Skipped pud and opted for the cheese. Mr M ordered the same (he was in 7A) but was asked to swap as they'd run out of the goats cheese salad. He had the shrimp something or other. That was ok, nothing special.

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.42.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.42.png (372.29 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.49.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.49.png (426.3 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.57.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-08 at 14.51.57.png (363.52 KiB) Viewed 2988 times

Straight after plates cleared we were prepped for sleep. Although I had my bed converted I wish I hadn't (heat and full stomach are not a good combo).

I watched a couple of movies - can't even remember which ones. Crew stayed out of the way but were there if needed. I tuned in and out of tot number 1 screaming her head off and if truth be known I probably felt as irritated as she was.

Before I knew it, breakfast was being prepared. I had the bacon butty - best one ever on a VS flight and a croissant. Uneventful landing, straight off and first through immigration. Two bags were already waiting and the third took it's time - came through with Y baggage.

Straight on the transit bus to the Long Stay and into the car for home.

Overall it's what I expect of the A330, crew were fine but the heat was unbearable.
#914183 by joeyc
08 Dec 2015, 16:19
marshy11 wrote:I can't now recall how late we were to board..

Ha ha ha, a good time had in the lounge I take it Marshy? ;-)

Did they serve the bottle of vinaigrette in the salad? That is very poor presentation if so..

Sorry to read the a/c wasn't working the whole flight, usually you get these problems on the ground but all is fixed when the engines start up. Never had a whole flight without a/c before - if UC was unpleasantly hot, imagine how Y must have felt >-(

Cheers for posting the TR
#914195 by hiljil
08 Dec 2015, 19:22
Thank you for the TR. Glad you had a good time in the sun. Just a shame the sun followed you on board !
#914203 by pjh
08 Dec 2015, 21:13
Thanks for the TR. Very envious of anyone able to travel to the Caribbean at this time of year.

Two things;

1. The bacon butty was good? I was with you until this statement of obvious untruth. :) I still gag just thinking about the last one I had on a UC flight....

2. In the face of a crying baby with no attempt being made by parents to do owt about it perhaps the new norm should be to start howling ourselves.
#914206 by Bretty
09 Dec 2015, 00:41
Thanks for TR Marshy and the pics too. Cabin temp must've been unbearable without aircon so I don't envy you that, but glad you had a good trip. And shame in the parent(s) who chose not to make any attempts to soothe the screaming baby. Different parenting styles no doubt but just inconsiderate of other people. If they'd at least tried, even if unsuccessful, you wouldn't mind.

Anyway rant over. Thanks again.
#914207 by ultreen1
09 Dec 2015, 00:50
Thanks for the TR...I just love reading what I'm missing...

I don't think I'd cope with a jam eater screaming around me! You must have the patience of a saint.
Was that bottle put in your salad by the crew? I hope not!

D
#914214 by marshy11
09 Dec 2015, 11:36
joeyc wrote:
marshy11 wrote:I can't now recall how late we were to board..

Ha ha ha, a good time had in the lounge I take it Marshy? ;-)

Did they serve the bottle of vinaigrette in the salad? That is very poor presentation if so..

Sorry to read the a/c wasn't working the whole flight, usually you get these problems on the ground but all is fixed when the engines start up. Never had a whole flight without a/c before - if UC was unpleasantly hot, imagine how Y must have felt >-(

Cheers for posting the TR

Thanks all for the replies.

The lounge was used to it's full potential, yes! :cool:

As for the bottle of balsamic in my salad, yes it was presented IN my salad. I thought at first it may be a sneaky miniature bottle of wine…..

PJH, yes the butty was REALLY good, the best I've had on board. Crispy bacon, not overcooked, lovely soft fluffy roll - no sauce (at my request).
#914217 by pjh
09 Dec 2015, 12:30
marshy11 wrote:.

PJH, yes the butty was REALLY good, the best I've had on board. Crispy bacon, not overcooked, lovely soft fluffy roll - no sauce (at my request).

Crispy is a key attribute of on board bacon. I may even be tempted to try one on New Years Day.
#914221 by oldboy
09 Dec 2015, 14:25
Thanks for the TR Marshy. With the Christmas build up pressure building from all angles how I wish we were
off to Barbados for Christmas, it will be a definite once retired.

oldboy
#914235 by Concorde RIP
09 Dec 2015, 21:01
I usually find the planes too hot for sleeping under normal circumstances, so having no AC must have been unbareable...

How was the beautiful island and the Sugar Cane club?

Do anything new?

Did you happen to go near the South coast at all and see whether the seaweed and sand erosion are easing?
#914254 by marshy11
10 Dec 2015, 08:39
The island was as beautiful as ever. We didn't venture south so can't comment on the seaweed or erosion. The Sugar Cane was fine for a short break, a little too claustrophobic in so much as you couldn't escape from the other guests, who were all from the North and nearly all over 65. - it felt like a private party with us southerners gatecrashing! That aside it was lovely to watch the green monkeys running wild, something we haven't seen before in Barbados. We did visit the beach and had a boat trip along the West coast - stopping to swim with two turtles who decided to tag along!
#914259 by pjh
10 Dec 2015, 10:35
marshy11 wrote:That aside it was lovely to watch the green monkeys running wild, something we haven't seen before in Barbados.

The last time we went to Barbados we ended up at a hotel a little away from the coast where we stayed in a cabin perched on a platform over a gully. In the morning we'd sit of the porch and watch the monkeys make their way down the gully, and in the late afternoon make their way back. Occasionally one or two of them would perch in the trees near the porch.

Paul

ps I'll ignore the comments about aged northerners..... :cool:
Virgin Atlantic