Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#914602 by WPIL
21 Dec 2015, 17:07
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well finally the family holiday to Barbados arrived and I was hoping for a better holiday than Las Vegas in October when I was suffering with man flu.

I would start by saying that this review probably deserves an extra rating for Passengers, previous trips in Upper would have been rated from Average to Excellent in this category.

In total we were 4 adults, 2 toddlers and 2 lap infants so we had booked the first 3 rows in the nose, however we were on 2 separate bookings, myself, the Mrs and toddler and the in laws on another booking reference.

We had a very early start on the M25 which took a little over an hour to get us to Gatwick spending most of it in the 3rd and 4th lane in the rain whilst we dozed off.

We had all agreed to meet at around 6am and when we arrived we heard that the others were running late by nearly an hour. Went to the check in area which was a little subdued and were checked in efficiently but with none of the usual friendly interaction that normally happens. I then had to assist the others to get their luggage from kerbside to check in, which took 3 trips as they had decided to use their maximum allowances despite it only being a 3 week trip to Barbados (and we had shipped other supplies over via a company called JP Shipping, unfortunately this barrel was lost and JP Shipping have been most unhelpful and aggressive towards my attempts to sort, will have to get the insurance to sort on my return)

A quick visit to M&S for lunch supplies just in case there was a problem with the Gluten Free meals on board and through the family security line just before fast track. Previous trips security had been friendly but this time they were very abrupt, barking orders and instructions. Into the corridor, turned right and right again into the lounge.

As others have said, the Gatwick Lounge is excellent, same staff as usual, working in the same roles, providing an excellent, personal and friendly service. Exactly as the Virgin Brand should be. Breakfast was had along with a Redhead and lots of water for the flight ahead. Well done and this should be 5 star plus! Haven't had a good visit here, its always been excellent.

Finally off to boarding. There was a priority line but generally boarding was very busy and we got separated. Was greeted at the door by a member of the crew, I was with my little one, bags and her pushchair. The lady immediately said that would need to go in the hold. I told her that check in had said I could bring on board and that they would try and put it in one of the cupboards. She then told me that there where no cupboards on board and that the trolley would have to be put in the hold. The other member of crew greeting the passengers then suggested to her that she should check my ticket first and then when finding we were in Upper she said it would be possible to try, in the end the pushchairs were put in the hold as they were a little too big for the cupboards.

The flight was delayed for about 45 minutes but finally took off. Now it would be nice to say that this flight was without incident and enjoyable but alas no.

2 of the children in our party must have cried for about 70% of the flight and it does bring up the argument as to whether little ones should be allowed to fly in this cabin. I felt very frustrated by it all as it 100% spoilt the flight and I can only imagine what it was like for the rest of the other pax. There was one other family flying with 2 boys, one of which was also somewhat annoying by climbing over the seats, standing & looking at other passengers from the footstools and then eventually standing on the bar stools. Obviously complaints were made by the other passengers and at one stage a member of the crew (she was not seen before or after this incident so I guess she was just involved in the cooking) who came storming over to the mother of the children to say very loudly what is wrong with your children in an aggressive manner. A shouting match also started between one of the other passengers and a member of our party resulting in a tense atmosphere for the rest of the flight. Luckily the flight service manager got involved to calm everyone down, assisted by 2 other excellent crew members (apart from the one member of staff the crew were all excellent, it was also noted that this crew member was late for the flight and judging by the expressions of other crew members was not someone they enjoy working with, perhaps that is why she was not customer facing, which I felt was strange). For the remaining 2 to 3 hours our kids and the other 2 kids in the cabin were fairly well behaved apart from the usual crying on landing.

I guess this is what you should expect with 6 kids (4 of ours) in this cabin but it was definitely not a great experience. In reflection I would say that children are easier to control in Premium or Economy until they go to sleep when being in Upper is a great benefit.

All in all I can't fault the staff (apart from the cook who was overly aggressive), the food for Gluten Free was reasonable, clubhouse was excellent, I just don't think I could travel with the in laws ever again, this has been confirmed as they have been pretty much a nightmare to be with in the villa as well, luckily I am able to get out of the villa to enjoy the beaches, bars, restaurants and the sites (Harrison Caves, Feeding the Monkeys, Concorde experience etc) looking forward to returning with my IMMEDIATE family!

Luckily I am booked in Upper on the return with my wife and daughter - the rest being in Premium or so I thought, until I found out they had secretly upgraded to Upper. Luckily there is a lot of availability so will probably change my flight to the day before or if possible downgrade to Premium or an Economy exit row seat.

How would you rate the passengers on this trip!!!!!!
#914631 by marshy11
22 Dec 2015, 08:41
I too am relieved I wasn't on it.
#914633 by dickydotcom
22 Dec 2015, 09:06
Thanks for the TR.
I have mellowed as I have aged and so would be less bothered by toddlers.
The worst passenger I have had the misfortune to be in the cabin with was a gent who decided to talk quite loudly until about 1 am on the night flight home. Then when he finally shut up and decided to sleep his seat wouldn't convert. He didn't make a fuss just went into a drink fueled sleep and snored louder than he was talking.
The things are all part of life's rich pattern. Stand on one foot, close your eyes and chant a Buddhist mantra.
Dick D
#914640 by sungod
22 Dec 2015, 12:20
flight sounds bad enough without the actual holiday being marred by the others

you mention changing to fly back a day earlier, i think you deserve to enjoy some peace, extend time in the sun and return a week later!
Virgin Atlantic