Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#914834 by pblondon
26 Dec 2015, 17:03
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was my first time flying on Christmas Day, I had wondered how different it would be to a normal day, it turned out very little!

I was on the VS111 to JFK, a flight I like as it gets you into New York early afternoon and there is still time plenty of time for the LHR clubhouse before leaving too. Although departure wasn't until 11:30 I still arrived at LHR at 7:15 to maximise my clubhouse time. I live in the centre of London and my taxi journey was very quick as you'd expect on Christmas morning. The Upper Class wing / security channel were quiet so I was quickly through security, the terminal didn't seem any different to usual, lots of people around and all the shops open. I didn't waste any time there though and headed straight to the clubhouse!

The clubhouse was quieter than usual but there were still quite a few people there, plenty of staff (no reduced service) and everything open as usual, I headed straight to the spa reception, booked a massage and facial for later and then settled down on one of the window sodas for breakfast. The service was excellent, the staff were in good spirits, I had my breakfast, a few brambles and some champagne (rude not to as they were walking round with a tray handing them out!). After a great spa treatment and one more cocktail I headed to the gate, timing it perfectly so they started boarding just as I arrived and I was first onboard!

I was flying on an A346, it must be one of the newly refurbished upper class cabins as it was in great condition, I had an A row seat opposite the divider which I consider one of the best possible. Most of the crew were dressed in Christmas jumpers, tinsel and even bells! again all in good spirits. I settled in with another champagne before take off (feeling great by now). Once airborne they did the first drinks round, the crew hadn't handed the menus out by this point, I asked for one as I wanted to see the cocktail list (which they seemed surprised about). There was a Christmas cocktail on the list which I ordered, I can't remember what it was but it was good! I only use the IFE for the skymap and use my iPad and laptop to watch movies / TV and to read so can't comment on the IFE. The dinner menu was a special Christmas one (photo uploaded), I skipped the starter and had the Roast Turkey (photo uploaded) which was pleasant enough but nothing special, the Christmas Pud for desert was great though! Service throughout the flight was great, the crew were regularly checking if drinks were needed and kept me supplied with water. It seemed like there were quite a few crew / friends / family on board but they were discreet. Afternoon tea was served close to landing, again it was a Christmas menu (photo uploaded). The cakes looked great but I had plans for food later so just had a mince pie and coffee, it was a really good mince pie though!

We landed a few minutes early but there was some issue connecting the jet bridge so had a short wait before getting off. The gate was very close to the immigration hall which was very quiet, I used one of the ESTA machines, queued to see a CBP officer (with no Christmas spirit), headed to the baggage hall, I'd travelled with hand luggage only so was then straight out (no queue for the customs officer) and joined a short taxi queue for my journey into Manhattan ready for five nights in my favourite city! Hopefully next time I'm here I'll be using Global Entry as I have my interview scheduled for the way home.

Overall a great flight and I'd recommend flying on Christmas Day!

Dinner Menu Web.jpg
Dinner Menu Web.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

Roast Turkey Web.jpg
Roast Turkey Web.jpg (170.11 KiB) Viewed 2057 times

Afternoon Tea Menu Web.jpg
Afternoon Tea Menu Web.jpg (71.55 KiB) Viewed 2057 times
Last edited by pblondon on 28 Dec 2015, 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
#914868 by marshy11
27 Dec 2015, 12:51
Sounds like a great flight. I must be blind but I can't see where to look at your photos...
#914959 by Maximus
28 Dec 2015, 20:22
Glad you had a good flight.

I think the "generous serving of gravy" is a bit of an overstatement judging by your photograph!
Virgin Atlantic