Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#915026 by mitchja
29 Dec 2015, 21:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The time had come again for my annual New Years trip to the sun. South Florida is now my choice of destination for this.

With the VS117 departing LHR at 09:30, I flew down from MAN the day before and over-nighted in an airport hotel. With having IHG status, their properties are now my choice of hotels. Didn't get on with the Holiday Inn Arial last year and the Holiday Inn on Bath road I've used before no longer seems bookable now (?) so opted for the Crowne Plaza this time. I was very impressed I have to say. Nice hotel, nice room (upgraded courtesy of my IHG Platinum status) and great staff. This is now my LHR airport hotel of choice :)

Woke up nice and early the following morning (OK too early before my alarm went off, but you know how it is the night before a trip). Checked out and caught the hotel hopper bus back to LHR T3.

As this was a VHols fly-drive booking and I was flying Premium Economy, I'd added on a LHR Clubhouse visit (which has now increased in price. I think it's about £72 now, not really sure as VHols don't break down their holiday invoices anymore). Still worth it IMHO.

Premium Economy check-in was not too busy and I didn't have long to wait. The staff where very friendly, cheerful and professional as usual, even at 06:30 in the morning. No Upper Class Wing access but standard security was an absolute breeze at that time of the morning. I'd actually got though that quicker than I did on my last trip through the Upper Class Wing security back in July!!

Headed up to the Clubhouse, handed over my VHols entry voucher where I was warmly welcomed as usual. The VHols voucher does actually state you can only enter the Clubhouse a maximum of 3 hours before your flight. No idea how strictly this is enforced though as I was within the 3 hour window anyway with having a 09:30 departure.

The Clubhouse was not too busy at that time. Wasn't in the mood for a treatment this morning so just headed to the Brasserie for some breakfast. Service was good the whole time I was in the Clubhouse. Plenty of spare seats, though it was starting to get a little busier now. Whilst waiting, there where a couple of announcements regarding delayed departures. Most of this mornings VS departures where around 30 mins delayed, mine included.

The flight was called around 09:15 and we where departing from gate 1, ages since I'd departed on a VS flight from that end of the terminal! Said my Goodbyes and headed to the gate. By the time I got there general boarding had already commenced so I headed straight down the jetway. The aircraft was an A333 (G-VGBR Golden Girl). I was welcomed on-board and directed to my seat. I was in 19C which I had selected months ago. I did think about asking to move to the bulk-head row 18 but I didn't bother in the end. A family with 2 small children where already sat in the middle bulk-head row. Whilst the children where no trouble at all on the flight, I was getting slightly annoyed (as I think so where the crew) with this family - more on this later.

Pre-flight drinks where offered. The Premium Economy cabin was nearly full and just had 2 empty seats. I think there where something like 224 pax on-board this morning in total and something like 12 crew. It didn't take long for everyone to board and for the door to be closed. We ended up pushing back around 30 mins late and rotated around 10:15. This mornings flight time would be approx 9hrs 45 mins. My seat-belt was pretty much knackered as it wouldn't stay tight (I did report this). Whilst it did click together OK, the adjusting bit wouldn't stay in place. The seat itself was pretty battered as well as later during the flight I found out that the table didn't quite reach all the way across so wouldn't stay flat either.

VERA Touch was switched on before we took off and worked well the whole flight. Drinks where soon served after take-off and dinner was served around 2 hours later.

I have to say the crew working in the Premium Economy cabin worked very hard the entire flight. They never seemed to stop, yet they all maintained their professional and friendly manner the entire flight. Nothing was ever too much trouble for them. From what I saw they where all a credit to VS :-)

Dinner was very nice and for the first time in ages, I ate the lot!! I had the beef which was nice and tasty. Other than having to rest the table on my right knee, it was all good.

I watched a couple of films during the flight.

Right, back to the slightly annoying family sat across the aisle from me. They seem to be part of a larger group with the rest of the group sat in Upper. One of that group seemed to spend more time talking to said family sat across from me which of course blocked the aisle and anyone trying to get passed (including crew) ended up bumping into me. They also went the other way as well. Back and forwards to the bar bringing drinks back and talking to their group at the bar. During the flight the curtain was not closed between Upper and Premium. I did see crew asking them to go back a couple of times. This went of most of the flight when the seat belt sign wasn't on. I got the feeling the seat-belt sign was turned on for no real reason a few times as well. I could see the crew working in both Upper and Premium where getting annoyed at times.

My only guess was they where possibly staff? I don't know for sure but either way, they where well and truly taking the p!ss and walking round like they owned the place. None of them ever seems to sit still for longer than 10 minutes. I noticed they where all together in the Clubhouse before the flight as well.

It didn't spoil the flight or the service but it was annoying none the less.

Back to the flight. After dinner was cleared duty free was offered as usual. The afternoon snack was served about 90 mins before landing which was either a Fajita or something else which has escaped me for the minute. I had the Fajita which was very tasty and went down well.

One thing I did notice during the flight was the number of Upper Class pax using the Premium Economy Washrooms - use your own. HaHa the trend is reversed, only joking :cool: The configuration of the A333's and the lack of washrooms in the Upper cabin don't help this and at the end of the day I really have no issues with who is using which washrooms :)

Before long the cabin was secured and we were on final approach into MIA. We landed around 14:45 and where soon on stand. Said my Goodbyes to the crew and prepared myself for the long walk to immigration. If you have never landed at MIA, it's one of the longest walks to immigration.

Immigration was a total breeze. HaHa, had to laugh at everyone in front of me heading straight for the machines and queues that are immediately in front of you as you reach the immigration area. Don't use these, turn right go through the doors and go into the normal visitors immigration hall but then head left and at the far end of the hall there is a deserted area with I'd say 50+ ESTA machines for International pax to use. I think those machines in the outside bit are supposed to be for US passport holders only.

The staff inside the visitors immigration hall where even now directing everyone with an ESTA to these machines. Quick and easy to use as ever (I'd used these machines for the first time at SFO back in July). Mine came up with a cross on again though, but the queue to see an agent took less than a minute. Total time in immigration was less than 10 mins :cool:

Bags already starting to come of the carousel and before long mine appeared. Quick pit stop outside for a nicotine top-up before heading over to the car hire centre via the moving walkways and monorail. I'd already done Alamo online check-in so headed straight down to the garage. They tried to give me a free upgrade to a SUV but I didn't see the point of one of those with there only being me. Opted for my booked economy car. Only 3 of those left to choose from, hence why I'd probably been offered an upgrade. It was the same last year too here too as that time I got a free upgrade to an Mazda MX5. Nice car but unless for luggage space as my case had to sit on the front seat!

All in all another great VS flight with a fantastic hard working crew.

The VS117 has a much better earlier arrival time compared to the VS5 especially if you are driving anywhere with it still being daylight. Miami roads and traffic aren't the best especially in the dark. On the VS6 flying home.

Is the VS117/118 service running all the time or is it just seasonal? I can't remember what it said now. The VS117 would certainly be my first choice now though if flying to MIA again.

It's a very pleasant 29'C here today with wall to wall sunshine (just thought I'd get that one in) :cool: Whilst I'm here, I have my Global Entry Interview scheduled for the 31st at the FLL Global Entry Enrolment centre. Originally I selected an interview at MIA (plenty of interviews available there every day), though kept checking and eventually a spare interview came up at FLL (not quite at the airport there but not far off looking at the map) on Dec 31st which is nearer to where I'm staying as I'm in the Hollywood area.
#915027 by hiljil
29 Dec 2015, 22:06
Thank you for an enjoyable TR. Glad you had a good flight despite the annoying passengers. Thank you also for the tip about which machines to use at Immigration ... Anything that can help at MIA is a double bonus !

Enjoy the Sun ( said with slightly gritted teeth ! ) :cool:
#915029 by TimCrawley
29 Dec 2015, 22:10
Enjoyable read, thanks for posting.

Good to hear you got through immigration nice and quick - some friends had a very long wait there in the summer so will suggest your handy tip of watching for that other hall on their next trip over if the queues look bad.

Enjoy the (short) trip to the sun after all that lovely weather in Lancs (Calder came very close to breaking over the wall into my Mum's place in Barrowford but luckily just stopped short of the extra sandbags dropped off by the council).
#915057 by julmops
30 Dec 2015, 12:38
Great TR! I had been anxiously waiting for the first TR on this flight as I will be on it on Jan 7th, although in UC.
Very much looking forward to it so it was good to get a little insight.
Hope you're having a fantastic time in Florida.
#915058 by iforres1
30 Dec 2015, 13:02
Excellent TR James (as always). So MIA have got their act together as regards Immigration, shocked! Drive safely and good luck with the Global Entry Interview. Do they still use the rubber gloves :-P

Iain
#915076 by marshy11
30 Dec 2015, 16:42
Thanks for a great TR. Sounds like the pax/crew were similar to ones we had a year ago en route to Antigua (when we stopped in BGI the UC cabin was almost empty but 1 woman leapt back to PE to retrieve a string of people who then sat in the spare UC seats).

Enjoy the sunshine, we've got Frank to be thankful for, for this weather today.
Virgin Atlantic