Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#915072 by WPIL
30 Dec 2015, 16:22
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So after nearly 3 weeks in Barbados, time to go home. I changed my flight from Tuesday to Monday, so I would be coming back 1 day earlier from the rest of the family/in-laws see previous report. This meant a change of plane from a 747 to the more "cosy" but bigger Upper cabin on the A330. Taxi booked and was at BGI with 2 hours until departure.

Arrived at the Airport at 3.45 for my 5.45 flight to find a line at Upper Class and no staff. Eventually someone reappeared and then a second Upper class check in agent. I waited for around 15 minutes and finally was ready to check in until an American couple flying in Premium decided to jump in front of me. I questioned the agent as this did not seem fair as I had been waiting for 15 minutes (she was there for 10 minutes of this wait)but she just looked at me and said "check in with that woman" which I found to be rude. If you fly from Barbados you will know that it can get hot and I felt a little annoyed (as annoyed as you can be after 20 days in BIM). American couple kept their heads down! Virgin please sort out return flight/outside UK check ins.

I sometimes think that Virgin is/becoming a one way service airline as there always seems to be a poor attitude with staff on the sector returning to the UK. I also don't know what they seem to long out the check in process as well. Most people check in online so why not just check their passes/passports and tag their bags. If I was in charge of Virgin that would be one area I would target for cost savings in conjunction with the other airlines operating out of these airports. Automated kiosks for all the Virgin/BA/American/Air Canada/West Jet passengers and retain the staff who actually want to work there to provide assistance for passengers when needed. Interacting with a kiosk will probably leave to with more of a positive feeling. On my wife's return flight had another issue at check in where they used 2 taxis to get to the airport and she carried the bulk of the luggage (with one kid) and arranged all the bags by the Upper sign ready for everyone in the 2nd taxi to arrive and check in. She was told to move her bags over there by the Virgin agent (pointing at the Economy line) and they will deal, which my wife replied why would I want to move my bags over there when I am checking in for Upper. Come on Virgin so making assumptions on the way people look (colour of skin, way people dress, people with children etc). The lady was super helpful after she realised her mistake.

Finally got to check in and through the various checkpoint at BGI. Very quick this time. Duty free bought RUM, some RUM and some RUM miniatures plus a cricket top. Very efficient in the shops/security and quick so well done BGI for that part. (I guess that part is going to be hit and miss)

Lounge is the usual school canteen lounge. One day I will access the VIP lounge at BIM (has anyone experienced this and how to get it?). Only cooked food was some rice, selection of sandwiches and nuts, plus plenty of drinks. The Sav Blanc was actually quiet nice! For the plane buffs I also got to see (hear!) an old school 727 take off, haven't seen those for a while. Did look on my Air Radar app but the plane was not showing so not sure who was operating it and where it was going. In my opinion they should replace the current windows which are frosted with normal glass. I guess it might make the lounge hot but it would improve the view and they would just need to boost the Air Con.

Quick boarding via the stairs and last bit of heat for a while.

Was on the plane early for once (nobody calling my name on a tanoy.) and that part of the airport is pretty pleasant as it is a short walk and up the stairs.

I have to say for the first part of the flight the CSM/FSM (Lady wearing the Black, not sure what the official title was) was a little annoying. There must have been some confusion as some staff/family were apparently moved from Upper to Economy (not to Premium as that was full although there appeared to be a spare front row seat whenever I went to the toilet) and she was having an argument with a member of the ground staff called the TCO (not sure what a TCO is) and I actually felt a little embarrassed for him. This carried on whilst boarding and for the first hour of the flight (obviously not with the TCO) and appeared the Passenger in 7D who I don’t think was staff had taken their seat and was getting daggers from her. I can only guess that she was upgraded at the Airport for some reason as 2 members of her group came to see her and were saying she was lucky to be in Upper and enjoy. TheCSM/FSM (name noted as I thought she was poor) did not interact at all with any paying passengers but did spend time talking to 2 passengers one of which was in front of me in 7A and actually turing round and glaring at the old lady who had taken her friends seat. I have to say the rest of the crew were spot on, including the down graded staff/family not complaining, telling the CSM/FSM not to worry and getting on with the flight. However the CMS/FSM was poor and in my opinion the other crew members provided a good service despite her. At times they looked like they were getting annoyed with her as she kept going on about her friend getting downgraded.

As per usual gluten free meal (confirmed online and checked before the flight) was not on board although just before the meal service they found it. Virgin you need to have the food allergy info cards on both sectors not just outbound, as a gluten free traveller (medical not fad) I need this to happen) and again gives me the impression you are a one way service airline. My GF meal was very poor and I think I would much prefer to order from the menu just as long as I can see the allergy cards, so please Virgin make them accessible for both legs.

Did not sleep as by the time the meal was done and after being told breakfast was at 3.30AM there would have only been about 3 hours so decided to kill time with a movie. The seat is nice and modern but lacks ledges to rest your elbows on (I am sure the other suite does not have the problem as I can't remember it being an issue) and less private due to the glass. On a positive note you are more likely to strike up a conversation with your seat mates due to the glass.

Breakfast which was served at 3.30am was really bad. Had egg (I think it was egg but could have been egg mixed with porridge with wallpaper paste) with mushrooms which had a mind of their own, trying to escape from my fork and hide in the suite with bacon. Had to have some cornflakes instead.

Coming in to land there was a few bumps between Southampton and where the plane makes that big turn into finals at Gatwick. My wife reported a smoother flight despite it being a lot more windy today. I guess that is because the 747 is a lot bigger.

So overall flight did the job. Staff on plane were good with the exception of the lady in charge but I guess she was not working for Virgin on that flight but looking after family/friends and also felt the need to get angry with a member of the Virgin team.
The other 2 staff who worked in Upper (a man who looked like Freddy Roach and a lady) were excellent.
Ground staff - Poor
Food - Poor but could be so much better.
Plane - Good condition, everything worked ok.
I have only done 8 flights with Virgin in the last 18 months/24 months but would say my experience is consistent and you know what will be good and what will not be good.

Oh Barbados is great as well, will hopefully return next year with my immediate family (as the in laws were a nightmare, at one stage they complained the beach was too sandy) but may need to be with BA (BA Amex card has arrived) so likely Virgin in 2017.

Landed at 5.31AM and was in a taxi by 6.10AM despite a long walk from the stand.
#915074 by marshy11
30 Dec 2015, 16:33
Oh dear. I am saddened to hear it was such a bad experience, particularly after my return a few weeks ago. Yes, with me the crew weren't as great as the outbound and we did have a faulty aircon, but it was a good flight nonetheless. My bacon butty was akin to the best I've cooked at home.

Your experience seems completely opposite to mine, which shows a lack of consistency at the very least. Our check-in girl was without doubt the best we had ever experienced (in UK or otherwise) and I made a note of it on my TR. We had a similar short transit through security etc to the lounge. Again for us, the lounge was as good as it's ever been, with the Roti being superb.

What a difference a few weeks makes. Sorry you had such a dreadful CSM/FSM…..perhaps a note to Crawley Towers will balance out the glowing one I sent them.
#915075 by hiljil
30 Dec 2015, 16:39
Thank you for your interesting TR and for making me laugh out loud ...the beach was too sandy ! I expect the sea was too wet for them as well.

Glad that overall the flight was ok but VS really need to sort out the food on the return leg generally.
#915077 by hiljil
30 Dec 2015, 16:44
Marshy, if you read this - I wanted to tell you that for months I've always thought you had a microphone in your photo - you looked like you were doing a TV interview to me ! Now I've actually been on my large screen PC ,as opposed to my iPad , and I've just discovered that you are actually holding a glass !!!! So you are not a TV presenter ....... :blush:
#915078 by buns
30 Dec 2015, 17:36
Thanks for the TR

As has already been said, a strong missive should be sent to Crawley towers about the shabby crew and the preference shown to some passengers >-(

buns
#915079 by WPIL
30 Dec 2015, 17:52
Just to stress the crew were perfect for a night flight, kept out of the way when people were sleeping and came around to the ones who were not, I will give them a positive thumbs up when I email Crawley. It was just the CSM/FSM who was very poor as well as the ground staff but I expect that from the ground staff now on the way back (didn't expect it from the senior member of the crew though). The sea being too wet was also mentioned when I brought the kids back from the beach one day as well as other gems such as the villa being too far from the shops, the sun was too hot etc! It might sound that I had a bad time but apart from the flights (and the outbound problems were not of Virgins doing) it was a really great break. Best part of it was having a Rum Punch and Catch of the Day at Ju, Ju's just North of Holetown as the sun went down after spending the day on the sandy beach next to the wet sea! Will be arranging next years soon!
#915080 by marshy11
30 Dec 2015, 18:32
hiljil wrote:Marshy, if you read this - I wanted to tell you that for months I've always thought you had a microphone in your photo - you looked like you were doing a TV interview to me ! Now I've actually been on my large screen PC ,as opposed to my iPad , and I've just discovered that you are actually holding a glass !!!! So you are not a TV presenter ....... :blush:

Now that made me laugh out loud.

Always a glass in my hand hiljil, always!

It was Christmas Day on the beach in Antigua (not this year) and Santa arrived by speedboat. Perched on a catamaran with a chilled glass of wine is always a good pose!
#915098 by oldboy
31 Dec 2015, 10:24
WPIL's TR highlights what is often said about VS ie inconsistency, when they are good they are very good but when they are bad they are bad. I have taken 2 VS trips during 2015 & both were good, when I was flying more frequently I did though used to find a lot of inconsistency in service provided.
#915124 by pjh
01 Jan 2016, 00:26
marshy11 wrote:
hiljil wrote:Marshy, if you read this - I wanted to tell you that for months I've always thought you had a microphone in your photo - you looked like you were doing a TV interview to me ! Now I've actually been on my large screen PC ,as opposed to my iPad , and I've just discovered that you are actually holding a glass !!!! So you are not a TV presenter ....... :blush:

Now that made me laugh out loud.

Always a glass in my hand hiljil, always!

It was Christmas Day on the beach in Antigua (not this year) and Santa arrived by speedboat. Perched on a catamaran with a chilled glass of wine is always a good pose!

Slightly off topic, but I has a similar misconception about Dickydotcom's picture, as for a long time I thought he was crooning into an old fashioned singer's microphone...
Virgin Atlantic