Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#915186 by Katcool
02 Jan 2016, 16:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was the return leg from our Christmas trip to Orlando. The flight was booked on a miles and money deal (the outward trip was excellent) and we were looking forward to a good return flight back to Manchester. We normally try for UC seats but unfortunately left the booking too late and the cabin was full.

We managed to grab our prefered row on both legs (19) and arrived at MCO in plenty of time for the scheduled departure. Checkin was a breeze and we were taken to the UC desk in order to speed up the process. The line at security wasn't too bad and we were soon in the terminal and waiting to board. The flight was due to depart at 6.45pm and boarding began at 5.55pm. We were called at 6.10pm and by 6.20pm the PE cabin was full.

The first signs of something amiss began to occur as a couple of engineers boarded the plane and the captain announced that we had paperwork problems but he'd update as and when. As the departure time passed it was obvious that there was an additional problem and the captain then informed us that the problem was in fact due to refuelling and that the fuel had been deposited in the wrong engine and we were now waiting for this to be rectified. This continued for the next two hours during which time the crew came around with water for the passengers. Credit to the captain for keeping us informed throughout with constant updates. We finally departed at 8.30pm!

Drinks were immediately served followed by dinner. Unfortunately when the crew reached us in row 19 only one choice was left which was a fish dish (which I can't eat) They offered the economy alternative which I didn't like but the FSM came to speak to me and said he'd look at the UC menu and see what was available. He offered the curry which was great although no starter, dessert or wine was offered. I fully appreciate that not all choices will be available but this appears to be a constant problem with PE on this route when sitting in row 19.

After the meal I decided to watch a movie however the earphone socket was broken on the armrest! Sleep beckoned instead and on wakening we were just about to begin the descent into Manchester.

We've travelled in PE many times on this route but over the years unfortunately have seen a decline in the service - on occasion an individual flight is superb (as on our outward journey) and individual crew are excellent. I've emailed Crawley to complement the FSM on this flight.

The flight landed approximatley 55 minutes late and the luggage was on the belt within 10 minutes!
#915187 by buns
02 Jan 2016, 16:30
Thank for the TR.

Obviously the delay was unfortunate, but good on the FSM for looking after you - always worth writing to Crawley towers as good work by crew is often overlooked.

From what i have been hearing, the Theme parks in orlando have been a little crowded recently ;-)

Thanks once again

buns
#915200 by Katcool
02 Jan 2016, 20:32
The theme parks were extremely crowded over Christmas as usual but we still had a great time!

Yes, I did inform the crew about the socket for future reference but opted for sleep rather than an iPad.
#915231 by dickydotcom
03 Jan 2016, 09:37
Thanks for the TR.
Row 19 would be my choice too. When I last sat there outbound to MCO we were absolutely first off the plane and into immigration ahead of the queue.
I hope you have been given a few miles for the lack of food choice.
A couple of years ago we were up the pointy end and Mrs D was told they had run out of the crab starter.
She immediately volunteered me to have soup. I did give up my starter for her and the crew awarded me 4000 miles there and then.
Dick D
#915278 by Derby Flyer
03 Jan 2016, 18:16
Not sure if this problem had been ongoing, but sister-in-law was travelling back to USA on Man-MCO on VS75 on 2nd January.
Only 9 adults and one child in Upper Class, but meal choices were very limited with only 2 fish and 2 beef dishes available, which had already been taken, so S-I-L only had curry option, and she doesn't like curry. Her only option was the burger sliders, which she had to have. She had mentioned that her first choice was also unavailable on outbound from MCO on 20th December, but she had second choice then.
Seems strange that meal choices were very limited for a not full cabin.
#916650 by Katcool
31 Jan 2016, 21:16
I received an email from VS with an apology for the lack of meals available. They stated that they load meals dependent on feedback from previous flights. They did give 8000 miles each which have helped to purchase 3 UC reward seats to Atlanta.
Virgin Atlantic