Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#915574 by David
08 Jan 2016, 15:28
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Indeed this was a lastminute (.com) trip,mhaving been booked on Tuesday for travel on Wednesday :D

The short story being friends of mine who were in Orlando for their winter break had secretly planned to get married out there on Monday and had posted pictures on Facebook on Monday evening and being one for a challenge, it was a manic Tuesday morning booking flights, hotels, cars and shuttles for the next again day.

We had looked at going out over the new year period but couldn't get anything to work time wise or cost wise .

This however, was to be a solo trip (being so last minute) and so was more than a little apprehensive wondering if I might get stranded somewhere due to an incorrect booking.

The route being Manchester Orlando JFK Heathrow Edinburgh with the Virgin flights being on a G

Everything was loaded into Tripit.com and looked in the correct order, so all the remained was to get a lift arranged for the Scottish Borders down to Manchester airport at stupid o'clock in the morning.

After leaving at 5am we arrived at Man around 8.30 which wasn't too bad given the commuter traffic.

Check in was a little busy with both agents checking in what seemed like a mountain of bags, buggies and people but it wasn't long before I had my boarding pass (only to use at security as I had checked in online) and an invitation to the "lounge"

Strangely, I had received an email telling me the lounge would be closed for refurbishment the evening before, but that's all covered in a recent thread.

Priority security was really quick despite an old couple that seemed to be travelling for the first time and a couple of "business" men that seemed intent on pushing everyone to the side to get through first :-(

The lounge, well I don't think anyone can disagree that it is indeed in very much need of a refurb. There was some food on offer, I think bacon or sausage rolls, some cereal and a few bits of fruit but it was all very tired.

It's just a pity the Virgin haven't taken the opportunity to do something re a clubhouse with the extra flights they and delta now have from Manchester.

After getting a bit board, it was time to take a walk down the gates before returning to get ready for boarding - I didn't hear the usual pre boarding call but think they went straight to upper / premium so after half the gate were sent back to sit down, I was on and sampling the first Gardet of the day. All the supermarkets have Lanson at £20, I'm sure Virgin could get a better deal !

There was 4 empty seats in Upper, premium was nearly full and economy made up the 340 odd rest of the passengers so not too bad a load for early January.

The crew were very visible and drinks, lunch orders were quickly being taken.

Think the recent menu has been posted a few times, so I won't bother unless anyone wants it, but I had the tomato and basil soup (very nice and very hot ), the chicken biryani ( again very nice, very hot and had a nice kick to it) and finished with the chocolate brownie with raspberry coulis.

Didn't partake in the cheese and biscuits but I have say, this was one of the best meals I've had of late on Virgin. It does really seem to have moved up a notch or two (if you disregard the beef)

I have marked the entertainment slightly down as what I hadn't seen in Sept/Oct, I had got on bluray at Christmas and it seemed my screen had a mind of its own. I've noticed this in the past and think it wouldn't be a bad idea if the touch screens got a recalibration some time.

Light bites were proactively offered and the mini burger was going down a treat

Afternoon tea soon appeared just as everyone was starting to get hungry again but that also meant landing was getting near.

Some really nice views out the window, including, altogether now, sing up, "The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia" and all too soon we were making our decent into Orlando.

The gate nearest the ramp into immigration made us quickly into the empty hall, straight up to the new machines and through to the belts before the 1st bag had come off.

I did think I might get a few more questions with the booking only have been made 24 hours ago, but nothing more than "what's the purpose of your trip?" And "have a nice stay"

Into the terminal to collect my car, a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe for only $195 and so on my way to the Hilton GV on Idrive.

Phoned my friends from the airport and we were all sitting in the Outback across the road around half five all a little stunned :)

So far, so good, although the weathers a bit dampish.

thanks for reading

David
#915575 by hiljil
08 Jan 2016, 15:40
Wow - congratulations on getting everything sorted so quickly & smoothly !

Thank you for an enjoyable TR. Great to hear the flight was up to standard. Hope you have lovely time in the sunshine. :cool:

Really, really wish I was there rather than lying here recovering from pneumonia !!!! :-(
#915576 by pjh
08 Jan 2016, 15:43
I greatly admire and salute the chutzpah of booking one day and flying the next for reasons related to friendship. A fine thing to do.

I agree - let's disregard the beef....
#915623 by Maximus
09 Jan 2016, 08:32
Well done for getting that all arranged in record time. I tend to book 9-12 months ahead so that would be a real challenge for me!
#915638 by Daffodil
09 Jan 2016, 12:38
Thanks for the TR. You're really brave to organise a last minute trip like that , I'd be in a mad panic.
I hope you friends had a lovely wedding and you have a great time in Orlando.
#915654 by Snora
09 Jan 2016, 18:37
wish I had read about the beef before ordering it yesterday - too late - and that may be why they ran out of the cod - word must be getting around about the beef - I must pay more attention to posts ! Overcooked and dry, what a shame
:-(
#916084 by horburyflyer
18 Jan 2016, 21:26
Not sure how I missed this David. WOW! Superb effort in getting all this arranged in the time you did.

And you made it back to the sunshine state. Sounds like a great flight with a really engaged crew. I bet the countdown has begun to your next adventure.....

Thanks again for sharing. Gets me in the mood for my flight next week!

Jon
#916094 by David
19 Jan 2016, 09:56
horburyflyer wrote: I bet the countdown has begun to your next adventure.....

Thanks again for sharing. Gets me in the mood for my flight next week!

Jon

Lol, Hi Jon,

Yes, planning last week in March - prices out of DUB to JFK via LHR are seriously cheap - unfortunately, being Easter weekend, accommodation not so.

This time will be a little longer than 5 nights :D

It's quite depressing to think that a week ago I was sitting in the sun instead of freezing my butt of here.

David
Virgin Atlantic