Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#916096 by David
19 Jan 2016, 10:33
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After a lovely, if a little surprising 5 nights in Orlando, it was soon time to think about departing for MCO from the Hilton GV on iDrive (which is now Hilton GV Tuscany, as they are about to open another Grand Vacation resort in the middle of iDrive) which is only a 11 or 12 minute drive to the airport.

The new massive flyover leading to the airport south entrance is nearly finished and will eventually link up to the completed road that has remained coned off for the past few years.

I always get a little confused about checkin times for US domestic flights and don't know if its 1, 2 or 3 hours before but arrived at a quiet MCO around 12 for the 3 o'clock departure on Delta up to JFK, thinking I will have a last meal in the Outback.

Checkin was a breeze but when asked for my final destination, gave JFK - this was nearly to be a mistake.

Flight was on-time (at checkin) and I was soon through security and onto the tram to take us to a very familiar part of the airport. Just as I got of the train, my phoned beeped with a message from Delta that the flight was running late by an hour - no issues as I had given myself 3 hours between landing and leaving at JFK - plenty ;-)

Had a nice steak at the Outback and took the time to check out the new lounge, The Club @ MCO, some pictures here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=292031 and then decided to go to the Delta lounge when another message came through saying flight now an hour and a half late.

Delta assured me everything would be ok and so sat down for a last beer courtesy of Delta before leaving for the gate.

We eventually departed at 16.10, pencilled in to land in T4 around 18.31 - this was going to be a little tight :-O

The flight eventually got to the gate around 18.50 but it was T2 :-O :-O

Run off the plane, downstairs where luckily my bag was one of the first off, run across the road up to the skytrain and was in T4 by 19.10 - checkin closes 19.30 !!

Checked in very quickly, the Virgin / Delta Upper class checkin is kinda hidden away in the corner but very quick, unlike security. Got to the gate just as they started boarding so unfortunately, no Clubhouse time this trip.

Upper seemed quite full and has been mentioned in the "crisp" thread, most if the disgusting crisps were returned when the first drinks were handed out.

This was to be quite a quite a short flight of just over 7 hours but just seemed to fly past.

The menu was a little strange with just one starter ( I think a salad of sorts) and 3 mains. I, again went for the Chicken curry (can't remember its exact name) which again was very hot, very spicy and very delicious :D and then drifted off to sleep along with most of the Upper cabin.

Breakfast was a very welcome bacon roll with copious amounts of tea and we were soon on decent into a cold, London Heathrow.

The crew had worked their socks off in a very full Upper cabin and seemed to be ever present anytime anyone wanted anything.

The upper cabin seemed to be refreshed (had the cloth facing to the side of the pod rather than leather) although compared to the LGW fleet and some of the newer LHR fleet, the screens are a little less defined and not touch screen (which took a few prods to realise :D )

My first flight on a A340-600 completed my full house having now flown on every type of aircraft that Virgin have had viewtopic.php?f=4&t=292042 up to now.

Revivals and a lovely shower completed a great, if very last minute trip to Orlando bar the BA shuttle back to Edinburgh.

Was it worth it ? Absolutely ! A little bit stressful at the time, but great to be able to use some miles at the last minute and surprise my friends, after they surprised us :D

Roll on the next adventure :D

thanks for reading

David
#916099 by pjh
19 Jan 2016, 11:24
Almost, but not quite, an HL style adventure there.

It took me a little while on our flights over Christmas to realise it was a non touch IFE. Funny how you get used to things.

I think the things they serve at first on the flight are not crisps as we know them, but one of those hi-falutin' concept snacks that seem to be based on some form of vegetable that used to be solely consumed by cattle.

Glad the surprise worked out and you had a great time.

Paul
#916105 by hiljil
19 Jan 2016, 15:55
Thank you for the TR. So pleased everything worked out though I'd have been very stressed for the whole of the Delta flight !

Look forward to your next adventure. :-D
Virgin Atlantic