Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#916263 by buns
22 Jan 2016, 18:19
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Now you are going to have to follow this TR very closely, otherwise you will be confused - very confused :-D

Family circumstances still dictate a degree of flexibility in our travel plans, so whilst i had booked this trip back in November, it was not until the Thursday prior to travelling that we could describe ourselves as "good to go".

I had booked a M fare and upgraded to a G using miles (hope you are still paying attention!) and once we had the go-ahead, I was on the phone to FC to use some more miles for a car to pick us up from home.

At the appointed hour (3:30 to be precise ;-) ) the Tristar Car arrived and it turned out the driver was one we had experienced before and lived locally!! On our very quick journey (45 minutes) we discussed the number of drivers now using DTCI and he was surprised that VS do not give instructions on how to negotiate the "air lock" entry process and he recounted how he had had to get out of his car and tell drivers ahead what to do!!

We arrived to a deserted DTCI and were quickly checked in. However the agent did not mention my seat had been moved from the originally booked 8A to 9K, whilst Mrs Buns remained in 9A >-( No line at security and it was whilst I was making a duty free purchase that i noticed the seat change.

We arrived at the Clubhouse within an hour of leaving home and (remember you got to keep up with this) it took the next 15 minutes to sort out entry for my Godson, wife and his two kids to gain entry to the Clubhouse. They of course were travelling on the same flight, but in economy and it would seem there is a sliding scale of charges for kids and it only cost us £15 for each of the two boys - who are both under 12. The seat situation could not be resolved as 8A was blocked as it was defective, so as a consequence the only two seats together were in the middle.

Anyways, we settled down to a redhead and bramble in the eames seats right by the entrance and awaited the arrival of the family. Two drinks later and they arrived and they were warmly welcomed - I opted to give them the tour :-D After they had settled and had something from the deli, we retired to the Brasserie for a proper meal. Mrs Buns and my Godson's wife booked treatments and after the meal, i took the boys to explore the Clubhouse and then the Duty Free shops.

By the time we returned, my Godson and his wife had sat by the large TV screens - a hit with the boys I can tell you - and before too long the flight was called.

Making our way to Gate16, I then did the dutiful thing and swapped my ticket with my godson's wife - so the rest of this TR relates to the Economy experience.

Row 50 is behind the exit row and we settled down the boys who constantly looked at the empty row in front. After take off, my Godson arranged for us to move to the exit row (it was a fairly empty flight) as a birthday treat from him. I have to say, the seats behind were just that larger and the tray table a definite plus point.

The menu choice was chicken or chicken with a veggie option - cabin service was excellent with a FSM working as senior crew in the economy cabin. Meanwhile mrs buns had noticed that 8A was occupied and reported back to me. I had words with the FSM who apologised that the seat had been re-allocated after being repaired and the upshot was that this reported to Crawley Towers and on our return to the UK, Mrs buns and i received 10,000 miles each.

Not much to report for the rest of the flight, the boys had enough space between the two rows to spread out and have a sleep.

On landing, one of the boys had lost his apple product, so a new experience for me was being the last to leave the aircraft whilst we searched around the seats and finally found it under the seat cushion!!

All in all an adventure that lifted the spirits of mrs buns and with the exception of the lack of information at DTCI, it proved to me that the economy product can be just as good as premium if the flight is not full.

Thanks for reading

buns
#916264 by dickydotcom
22 Jan 2016, 18:57
buns wrote:Now you are going to have to follow this TR very closely, otherwise you will be confused - very confused :-D

Thanks for reading

buns

Thanks for writing, and very noble of you to give up your seat.
Dick D
#916265 by hiljil
22 Jan 2016, 19:28
Thank you for an interesting TR. I think the words " if the flight is not full" are very important , but I am pleased you enjoyed your economy adventure. You certainly deserved to after giving up your UC seat.
#916266 by ScoobySu
22 Jan 2016, 19:36
Thanks Buns for a lovely review - glad to hear that the flight wasn't full and you and the boys were able to take advantage of the space!
#916274 by David
23 Jan 2016, 08:25
Well Done Sir (Buns) Galahad :D Nice to see that after your good deed, economy was fine.

This must be the year I get round to trying out Dubai for a wee break.

Thanks for a great read

David
#916280 by RyanJW
23 Jan 2016, 12:10
Excellent read Buns.

I did this trip in October and was in Economy on the way out and PE home. I actually found the Extra Legroom Seats very comfy and I had loads of AU recognition like a thank you glass of champers, first choice of meals and being served first before the main economy meal service. In PE, there was nothing what so ever coming back to LHR and the seats were not a massive improvement on the legroom front (tall and wide here!). So I'm not sure what I prefer on VS's shortest flight, Economy with Extra legroom might cinch it. Still the bed would have been nice so well done for giving it up! :-D
#916287 by buns
23 Jan 2016, 15:06
Thank you all for your kind comments :blush:

As my godson's wife is a nervous flyer, the time in the clubhouse beforehand and the UC bed did go some way to relax her, but a very minor bout of turbulence did upset her before she made full use of the bed. I suspect I may have made a rod for my own back and that I may well feature in their future travel plans ;-)

I know exactly where you are coming from Ryan, the lack of consistency in FSMs remains an Achilles heel for VS and our return trip (TR to follow later today) had a super FSM and I have already written to Crawley Towers.

buns
#916295 by Daffodil
23 Jan 2016, 19:09
Thanks for the TR.
We are on the DXB flight tonight in the same row 50 emergency exit in economy.
We are travelling PE back, but generally find the service in economy much better than PE.
We had such a dreadful flight back in PE from Dubai last October, Mr D and I were award 15,000 flying club miles each.
How kind of you to give up your Upper Class seat.
Did you stay at the Conrad Dubai on this stay?
We stayed there just over a year ago and had a very enjoyable stay.
#916303 by buns
23 Jan 2016, 20:02
Daffodil wrote:Thanks for the TR.
We are on the DXB flight tonight in the same row 50 emergency exit in economy.

Did you stay at the Conrad Dubai on this stay?
We stayed there just over a year ago and had a very enjoyable stay.

Many Thanks
Hope you get some extra space on your flight tonight - and a good crew to look after you

buns
#916305 by Bretty
23 Jan 2016, 22:49
Gosh I like to think I would give up my UC seat if I was travelling with loved ones on the same flight, but I'm not sure if I actually would! A very nice gesture for the "nervous flyer" (I remember a comedy sketch about that).

Glad all was well with the flight and service at the back of the bus though buns and that you had a good trip.
#916326 by Maximus
24 Jan 2016, 15:40
Bretty wrote:Gosh I like to think I would give up my UC seat if I was travelling with loved ones on the same flight, but I'm not sure if I actually would!

Nor me!! In fact I have flown in Business whilst the OH was in Economy. I did send back some goodies from the snack bar as compensation though (I am all heart!).
#916338 by Bretty
24 Jan 2016, 23:23
Maximus wrote:
Bretty wrote:Gosh I like to think I would give up my UC seat if I was travelling with loved ones on the same flight, but I'm not sure if I actually would!

Nor me!! In fact I have flown in Business whilst the OH was in Economy. I did send back some goodies from the snack bar as compensation though (I am all heart!).

(Sharp intake of breath) I'm not sure I'd get away with that with my OH. If it was other people, apart from me mam, and my OH.
Virgin Atlantic