Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#916288 by buns
23 Jan 2016, 16:30
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
After the shortest of breaks in Dubai, where we changed our usual routine of staying at the Hilton Dubai Creek as we have done for many years following a super recommendation from HoneyLamb and stayed at the Conrad Dubai it was time for us to return home.

I should perhaps add that my Godson kindly invited us to lunch at the Palm Atlantis and i was immediately reminded of the shopping malls in Las Vegas hotels as we made our way across the property from the aquarium side to the residential side. My godson's wife had put the amenity kit bag on the outbound flight to good use becoming a storage bag for mobile phones as they say by the pool ;-)

I had arranged transportation through the hotel and after a swift breakfast, the car was waiting to take us the 15 minute journey back to the airport. Check in was quiet and thus the formalities completed quickly before the long trek to the departure area.

Some prior examination of the VS prices had directed Mrs buns to the Gordons Gin in the Duty free which was marginally cheaper than would be on board. Once purchased, we made our way to the Dubai Business Lounge in Terminal 1 armed with the VS issued invitation. This was scrutinised carefully on arrival and our boarding passes stamped (I presume so as to prevent mass entry) and we grabbed a couple of seats for the hour we had before the Gate opened at 9:05.

I have to admit that the place ranks alongside the Miami offering and allowed a seat (ripped mind you) to sit and catch up with V Flyer and stuff and a selection of drinks - I was of course glad to have eaten in the Exec Lounge in the Conrad earlier :-D

We got to the Gate soon after it opened and did some people watching before being allowed to board. We always try to get next to the Airbridge entrance as I do like to be one of the first to board. After the call for assisted passengers UC were called forward and quickly we were down the airbridge and through the UC entrance at L1.

We were welcomed aboard by the FSM, who remembered mrs buns from a previous flight, so she got the "welcome back" :D Settled this time into our favourite seats of 8 & 9 A, our coats were taken from us and drinks followed soon after.

The new amenity kit was on offer as portrayed in the recent thread and this will come in handy in the future as a great wash bag for overnight trips.

The flight was only about 60% full - across all the cabins - so the usual announcement about keeping to seats for take off and avoiding the extra charge seats was made before we departed.

After take off, drinks orders were taken and from the outset, the FSM was leading from the front by being fully involved with the service.

The Menu for the flight was as follows:

Starters
Chickpea soup
Feta salad
Peking duck

Mains
Beef steak
Chicken with back bean sauce
Scottish salmon
Three cheese ravioli

Pudding
Chocolate almond torte
Banoffi tart

Cheeses
Camembert
Gouda
Cambozola

Both Mrs Buns and I declined the started and opted for the beff steak (Mrs buns had no problem in asking for the steak without the accompanying mushroom sauce) and I went for the banoffi tart and Mrs buns the cheese. I have to say the food was excellent and a far better offering than the trial menu we had coming back from Atlanta in November!!

After the dinner service, the FSM came and spoke to us both - recognising we are fairly frequent travellers - and I did mention how consistency was getting better, but that was some way to go. At my instigation, we spoke about the upcoming changes to crew status and complements and to be fair, he acknowledged it would be hard, but that many of the crew are extremely dedicated (something both Mrs buns readily agree with) and they would make it work. I was extremely impressed with the FSM and have written to Crawley Towers. Surprisingly I have already had a reply!! So I hope our thanks have been passed on as my reply stated.

Anyways, back to the flight. It being a flight from Dubai, there were some young children in the UC cabin but they were nothing but a pleasure as parents did their upmost to keep them occupied. At one stage they took over the bar area, but as it was so quiet, no passengers were inconvenienced .

I settled back to watch the Bridge of Spies movie which I found totally captivating. Throughout the flight, crew were going through the cabin to make sure we were all well fed and watered.

All too quickly this excellent flight stated to come to an end and the afternoon tea service at 90 minutes prior to landing signalled that we would soon be leaving the company of a great crew. We flew in over Southend and a direct approach into London Heathrow.

Touchdown was to a sunny, but very cold London in comparison to Dubai and we were at the baggage carousel in no time (opting to avoid the automatic gates). There was not the usual indian flight in Terminal 3 ahead of us, so the place was a lot quieter than normal - perhaps that is why we got stopped by customs, but with nothing to declare apart from the gin, we were flagged on our way :-D

The Tristar driver was waiting for us and we were home within an hour!

All in all an excellent flight, made memorable by such a good FSM and crew - long may such experiences continue.

Thanks for reading.

buns
#916289 by hiljil
23 Jan 2016, 17:35
Thank you for a most enjoyable TR. How lovely to read that it was such a good flight.

Is your Godson's wife traveling home in UC ? Or have you spoilt her for life now !!
#916299 by Daffodil
23 Jan 2016, 19:20
Thanks for the TR. Pleased to hear it was such an enjoyable flight.
Please ignore my question about the Conrad I can see now that you did stay there.
I would also highly recommend it.
#916304 by buns
23 Jan 2016, 20:05
Daffodil wrote:Thanks for the TR. Pleased to hear it was such an enjoyable flight.
Please ignore my question about the Conrad I can see now that you did stay there.
I would also highly recommend it.

Thanks

no problem about mentioning the Conrad. We were very impressed and will possibly make it our base in future stays (being Hilton types :-) )

We did not see it on a Friday, so can imagine the pool is a little boisterous

buns
#916306 by Bretty
23 Jan 2016, 23:03
Thanks buns for a great TR buns and ditto "long may such experiences continue", sounds like a fab experience.
Last edited by Bretty on 24 Jan 2016, 12:39, edited 1 time in total.
#916464 by pjh
27 Jan 2016, 22:37
Thanks for both the TRs. Re: the outbound, a noble sacrifice!

Still not convinced by DXB as a destination though...
#916550 by ColOrd
29 Jan 2016, 21:47
Enjoyable read as always buns, I am sure that the crews themselves are going to try and make the best of what they are to work with under the changes, so fingers crossed its not a disaster!

Glad to hear the news amenity kits are going down well!!
Virgin Atlantic