Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#916374 by julmops
26 Jan 2016, 12:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
With Christmas celebrations out of the way, I knew it was time to start packing for our annual long-haul trip …
We had booked a 2-week Caribbean Cruise on Celebrity Cruises with a few extra days in Miami to start with.
We were both very excited about this trip and it would be our second time together flying Virgin Upper Class after Los Angeles in 2015.
We had decided that we would spend the night before in Heathrow to make full use of the DTCI.
We managed to get a good deal at Sofitel T5 so we were off to a good start!
I had ordered a car for the next morning to take us to the DTCI.
Transfer was quick and efficient and we arrived at the UC Wing a little bit early but we were expected.
Luggage was taken away and boarding handed with a smile.
Security was quick and efficient.
All in all, we were through in less than 10 minutes …
So early actually that the Clubhouse wasn’t even open yet ... ;)
We had a quick wait before heading in.
We picked a nice seat in the side gallery close to the windows and enjoyed a light breakfast.
After a few minutes, I went and book ourselves a complimentary head massage for 8am as our flight would leave at 9.30.
Needless to say, the massage was absolutely lovely.
Too early, our flight was called to gate 21 so a bit of a walk for us in that occasion.
We went at the first call and actually had to wait about 5 minutes to board but no biggie.
Once at the door, we were warmly welcomed and turned left to our seats (1A and 2A).
Gardet champagne was offered and kindly accepted ;) No refills though.
Flight was delayed due to some technical fault but it was sorted quite quickly and we were on our way.
G-VLUV would do the honours on the day and she was as lovely as I remembered her.
A very chatty FSM came round to introduce herself and we had a very pleasant conversation.
The load was very light was only 109 passengers all in all.
There were about 20 passengers in UC, a much lighter load in PE and an impressively empty Economy cabin. It was to the point where most passengers had 3 seats and a virtual bed to themselves ;)
Never seen that in 30+ years of flying.
But it was for the best and the cabin crew was happy and jolly about it.
We took off about an hour late and once airborne, service started quite quickly with the usual drinks service, followed by lunch order.
Gardet champagne is no Lanson for sure and I mentioned it to the FSM who told me that there seems to be quite a bit of a brainstorming internally to find a better replacement. Funnily enough, on the flight back from Miami, it was a Dreamliner and the Gardet was still there but the FSM there told me the exact same thing so there should be some changes soon.
Food was great and went down with a few films.
I then decided to go to the bar, which was very quiet but had a lovely chat with a great male Senior Cabin Crew for about an hour ;)
Afternoon tea was served about 2 hours before landing.
Sandwiches and cakes were good.
We finally landed in Miami only about 35 minutes late so all in all not too bad.
It definitely was a great flight with a great crew and I still like the A333, unlike most here.
However, our return flight was the Maiden Marion (G-VOWS) and it’s a completely different story that you shall read in my next TR.
Thanks for reading ;)
#916376 by hiljil
26 Jan 2016, 12:53
Thank you for the TR. So pleased you had such a good flight and I hope you enjoyed the cruise. Oh dear, the return trip sounds worrying !

How were the queues in immigration , please ?
#916381 by julmops
26 Jan 2016, 13:46
Immigration queues were quite long but the walk to immigration from the gate is a joke ... And the facts that you need to queue for the ESTA machines, then for having your passport stamped and then for customs isn't helping for sure ...
I didn't want to sound negative for the flight back, the plane was lovely, as was the food and the cabin crew ... But it was the Dreamliner and it was so much better than the A333 ;)
#916393 by Snora
26 Jan 2016, 15:55
julmops - we were on Celebrity leaving Miami on Sunday 10th for the S Caribbean. is this the Cruise you went on ? WE also stayed at the Sofitel the night before but we took the afternoon flight LHR to MIA on Jan 8th and our flight was on Tubular Belle, also low in passenger numbers. Loved our 12A and 12K seats in UC - a great way to say goodbye to the 747. hope you enjoyed the Cruise !
#916396 by julmops
26 Jan 2016, 16:14
Hi Snora, we indeed were on the 10th Jan cruise on the Eclipse ! Funny that !
We had a great time aboard, so much that we are booked on the Solstice to New Zealand in January 2018 ! ;)
#916418 by oldboy
26 Jan 2016, 19:56
Thanks for the TR Julmops, pleased to hear it was a good one. We are on the 117 on 11th March (Caribbean cruise for us as well) so looking forward to that, unfortunately though not currently scheduled to be a 787 for our return.
#916427 by Bretty
26 Jan 2016, 22:53
Thanks for the TR Julmops, it's been a long time planning and I hope your cruise was fab. I was a bit worried about the return TR until you said it was a 787. Look forward to it, thanks for sharing.
#916432 by TimCrawley
27 Jan 2016, 00:18
Enjoyed the TR, thanks for posting.

I guess a few on the forum will be waiting with bated breath and aching throats for the possible champers replacement :-)
#916447 by Snora
27 Jan 2016, 15:12
julmops wrote:Hi Snora, we indeed were on the 10th Jan cruise on the Eclipse ! Funny that !
We had a great time aboard, so much that we are booked on the Solstice to New Zealand in January 2018 ! ;)

pooh that sounds amazing. ! on our list to do. We booked the Valparaiso to Buenos Aires cruise for JAN 18. we like a cruise every couple of years to places that aren't that easy to get to by plane/car. Will look forward to your feedback.
#916462 by pjh
27 Jan 2016, 22:27
Thanks for the TR. Sounds like a great experience, even if you did have a "quick wait" :) for the CH to open. (I used to be sent to the stores at a factory for "A long weight" which I inevitably got).
#916463 by Blacky1
27 Jan 2016, 22:33
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TR. Sounds like a great experience, even if you did have a "quick wait" :) for the CH to open. (I used to be sent to the stores at a factory for "A long weight" which I inevitably got).

Did you pick up some tartan paint while you were down there ? :-D
Virgin Atlantic