Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#917721 by horburyflyer
21 Feb 2016, 15:32
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
With being already back in the U.S. I thought I better try and catch up with a TR or two if not I'll end up with a growing backlog like joeyc :D

So after a bells and whistles flight out on the VS325 a few days earlier it was time to head back to the UK again. So having booked on the renumbered VS326 which departed at 2155 (which was the VS20 until a few or two before!) I arrived at SFO around 1730.

The check-in experience was poor. Can't really say anymore but it was downright disappointing. The attitude and poor impression displayed by the agent was just not right and clearly she didn't want to be there and she was going to let everyone know it. It really does make you wonder sometimes and question when this happens why you invest so much in VS. It could only get better right??!!!

The SFO was on good form though and the service top-notch from the moment I arrived. The food (a new menu was in operation but forget to pick one up) though I enjoyed the Clubhouse burger (a solid favourite) and a lamb kofta which was tasty.

The vanilla ice-cream with chocolate chunks was devine and I demolished two portions..though they really are quite tiny!

The CH manager was doing his rounds and we chatted for a little while about my check in experience which he was clearly very embarrassed about. The earlier VS042 was leaving at 2105 and boarding began for this at 1950 which seemed early but security was crowded by all accounts. The CH manager could not hold back on his desire to see a post-security CH.....dream we can.

So with the CH empty (only a handful of people remained) I enjoyed another red-head and boarding was called at 2045 for the VS326. The CH chef was just before security directing us to the priority line. Security was busy but organised. I was through in 15mins.

I reached the gate and just as I sat down boarding began with UC and Gold card holders first. Sadly the gate experience was just as poor as the same agent was processing boarding passes and sadly since I left her at check-in her attitude had clearly got worse.

Boarding through L2 I turned left. The welcome at the door very underwhelming. That dreaded feeling that I do hope this isn't going to be one of those flights!!!

Settled in I was quickly offered a glass of champagne, followed by newspapers and sleep suits. The CC were very distant it must be said. Maybe the two night stay in SFO they had just enjoyed hadn't been a success and they too were sad to be leaving.... ;-)

With boarding complete at 2130 this was a very light flight. A total of 16 in UC and 74 on the entire aircraft. Menus were already on the ottoman and a bottle of water in its holder. The new return amenity kit was also provided and a welcome addition it was too.

By all accounts the VS042 had left completely full and they had taken some of our UC bedding as they were short so it's a good job we were so light in J tonight.

A refill of champagne was offered and the captain announced a flight time of 9hrs44mins. Push back came at 2155 and we were airborne at 2208.

Drinks and (dill pickle) crisps were offered and with most sent back to the bar, pretzels were offered instead. I mean who taste tests the crisps for the flights and who really thought dill pickle crisps would work. The CC mentioned it was like it on every flight and feedback had been provided.

Drink refills were offered at the same time as tables were laid for supper. The menu was underwhelming and I ordered only a main course, I wasn't overly hungry but nothing stood out to me on the menu either but here it is in the interests of you lovely people...

Roasted garlic and cauliflower soup
Tuna Nicoise
Artichoke and manchego salad

Beef tips with portobello gnocchi
Chicken and mushroom teriyaki
Mushroom and rocket risotto
Gravlax salad

Sticky toffee ginger pudding
Chocolate mocha mousse

Cheese and port

Wine, bread and water were offered once though top-ups were available on request! Noticed I haven't mentioned the CSS and FSM yet....we did have them on-board and maybe because of the very light load they were seen very little. The CSS marginally more than the FSM but both were seriously under the radar. The FSM looked like he couldn't care less.

With a few hours sleep needed I bedded down and enjoyed some good quality rest. Waking with a four hours to go I went to the bar and got speaking with one of the CC, the same guy who had been looking after me during the supper service. He was friendly and chatty and keen to please. I mentioned the underwhelming experience so far and was shocked to hear my feedback. He mentioned the the SFO station manager was actually on the flight and when I moved closer to home and mentioned the FSM and CSS he was desperately embarrassed. To be fair he has saved the crew receiving a poor rating.

That said he clearly didn't pass along my feedback at first as no-one came to see me or mentioned it again until I felt inclined it raise it again...

Breakfast for under way 1.5hrs out from LHR and was the usual affair of hot and cold items. The hot breakfast was welcomed like a close friend and I enjoyed every mouthful.

image.jpg
image.jpg (421.06 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

With breakfast out of the way it was time to look out of the window as it was now 3pm in the afternoon and what a sight..

image.jpg
image.jpg (207.71 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

As the CC who I had been chatting with earlier came along to say goodbye and that he had really enjoyed meeting me....I sensed some serious back-tracking was underway and I asked for the name of the CSS (I already had an email written about the FSM) and he confirmed it and within seconds she was at my seat, saying how sorry she was that she hadn't come across to meet me until now but she had been busy all flight long.....ok it had a total of 74 people onboard and you were looking after J and W only which probably had 26 tops and 9hrs30mins had passed until you had approached me......

To be fair she was pleasant enough and this wasn't me seeking anything different or extra but I was keen to point out the serious issue of consistency which really does plague VS (and I am sure other airlines) but as all my long-haul flying is exclusively VS I can only compare flight to flight.

She mentioned missing paperwork by the ground-team at SFO and things had seemed very disorganised for the crew too by them. She was less keen to discuss the issue of consistency and when I mentioned my superb outbound flight you really could feel that she just wanted the floor to open up and swallow her whole. Still the FSM didn't come close....

Once or twice around the loop and we touched down at 1555. Certainly no bells and whistles and a crew who just disappointed from FSM downwards. Saved slightly by the rather engaging CC member who opened up when I chatted with him, otherwise they just wanted to get home which I do understand but still...

'Surfer Girl' was in good shape though has had the recent refresh in UC, the IFE on these A346s is a poor relation to what else is on offer on other VS aircraft and the food was a disappointment too. I still love the A346s though which is a good thing as some flights booked that were on the A333s have recently switched to the A346s.

Thankfully I've just stepped off another transatlantic leg and the service was top-notch but that was from MAN where I certainly have better experiences than out of LHR.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
#917724 by David
21 Feb 2016, 16:07
Oh dear. Not good.

I had thought things were getting better as nobody's posted a bad TR in a wee while until now.

It will be interesting to hear about any feedback you receive which is hopefully not the boilerplate reply.

David
#917725 by hiljil
21 Feb 2016, 16:08
Thank you for the TR.

As David has said, a pity about the service as things had generally sounded better recently.
#917726 by marshy11
21 Feb 2016, 16:22
My face screwed up tight when I saw the TR, opened it and glanced at the star ratings.....then I read further....

I really don't think there is any excuse for poor service from anyone.
#917728 by joeyc
21 Feb 2016, 17:22
horburyflyer wrote:With being already back in the U.S. I thought I better try and catch up with a TR or two if not I'll end up with a growing backlog like joeyc :D

Guilty as charged, I'll get onto it... some day :-P

My 'desire' with SFO is for all of the domestic and international gates to actually be linked airside.. That would save a lot of time for those on tight transfers.

A real disappointment to read about the ground staffer and the cabin crew. The flight I have just taken was also low on pax compliment, but the crew were fantastic - FSM and CSS both came to say hello to me and all the crew took the time to speak with the pax. Talk about inconsistency between your experience and mine.

Cheers for the TR Jon :cool:
#917735 by Bretty
21 Feb 2016, 22:15
Oh dear indeed. I'm sorry to read of your experience here Jon, it really isn't good. My one experience with SFO ground crew wasn't good but at least the flight crew made up for it by delivering excellent friendly service. Of course the stalwart crew will insist they're main role is to ensure safety, which it is, but they have an awful lot of bleedin' training on service and hospitality, there's no excuse for it being bad. And not responding to direct feedback by coming to see you sooner is appalling I think, topped off by a lame excuse of "I've been busy all flight".

Do let us know what response you get from Crawley Towers.
#917786 by buns
22 Feb 2016, 16:56
Jon

Thanks for yet another engrossing TR.
That dreaded feeling that I do hope this isn't going to be one of those flights!!!

I certainly know that feeling and if a frequent flyer like yourself can see this, it makes you wonder why VS senior management have not picked up on this through 'secret shopper' type research >-(

Hope your next flight is considerably better

buns
#917792 by Hev60
22 Feb 2016, 18:15
Oh dear that is another unfortunate trip report about a SFO experience, more or less the same as I posted last year. At least our UC and the rest of the plance was virtually full. What a pathetic excuse to say "I've been busy all flight" - doing what .. chatting no doubt!

Shame that passengers, who pay an incredible amount of money for fares these days, have to suffer questionable service. No doubt a few thousand airmiles will pop into your account as a way of an apology. However some action to try to avoid similar situations is more appropraite. But then again, I guess we are a tad niave to expect good service all the time though, coz that's just not how life works :-(
#917795 by oldboy
22 Feb 2016, 18:55
What a poor experiance, as has been said on many occasions, VS really do have a problem with consistency. With only 74 pax on board I would have expected very attentive service.
Virgin Atlantic