Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919136 by dickydotcom
25 Mar 2016, 10:35
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Our month is South Carolina over it was time to head for home. We had great weather the whole time with up to 85F for the last two weeks, about 15 degrees above normal. It only rained at night. How lucky was that?
Although we had to leave the apartment on Saturday we have found in the past more availability for upgrades on Sunday so we had one night B&B in St Mary's Georgia on the way down to Orlando.
We stayed in a beautiful Victorian B&B and were greeted as we arrived.
Next day time to leave so preparing to load up the car.
The final drive to the airport was uneventful and the car handed back we got a porter to take the cases to the Virgin Upper desk. We are always early, but this time 20 minutes before the staff arrived!
Once we had done the bag drop we made our way through security where I had two TSA staff giving me conflicting instructions about taking off my shoes so in the end they came off. Other than that we were through in five minutes and off up to the Sky Lounge. It wasn't crowded and we changed seats a couple of times eventually ending up in these high backs.
We got lazy and stayed there browsing on the food which wasn't bad, but on reflection should have gone to Outback.
We walked to the gate before being called and were boarded straight away. We were in 6A and 6K so on early had no problems stowing my bag in an overhead above 8K.
Glass of champagne. But no offer of a second.
The cabin was full; 13 chaps and Mrs D. Next to us was a group who had been to Jacksonville for the golf.
We pushed away on time with 220 passengers in total and taxied straight out to a rolling start for take off.
Once settled around came the meal offering. 7K had already chosen to bed down.
Both Mrs D and myself chose the snow crab starter.
Followed by beef for Mrs D which she ate and said was OK
And an Indian chicken dish for me. Which I left half of it as the chicken was dry and tough. Not like the beautiful moist biryani on the outbound leg.
After the plates were cleared we had our beds converted and got our heads down. Sadly not every one did and after what felt like an hour to me 7A was having his seat put to bed mode but he and the CC were more interested in having a chat. After 20 mins and a couple of evil stares from Mrs D they were still chatting so she got up. 7A and CC were still chatting when another passenger further down the cabin came up to ask if she could spare the time to put his bed down.
We probably got three or four hours rest/sleep before they came round for breakfast.
Mrs D had a cooked breakfast and left it on the plate. I asked why she keeps picking it. The egg is always a congealed lump and she always leaves it. I had fruit and yogurt which was very refreshing and a blueberry muffin which was OK but a bit dry.
Plates away and the sun becomes visible as we come in over Lands End.
It was a straight run into Gatwick landing about 7.30. Border check area was empty and we greeted by a very pleasant lady who checked our passports and said we were the third flight of the day.
We go to the carrousel before the cases but they were soon up and our bright yellow babies were among the first.
Our taxi was waiting in the car park and we were on the road within half hour of touchdown, and home an hour later.
#919149 by hiljil
25 Mar 2016, 12:28
Thank you for the TR and some very interesting photos. Love the sunrise.

A shame the food wasn't up to much. Overall it sounded a below par flight, sadly.
#919152 by buns
25 Mar 2016, 14:09
Dicky

Thanks for the TR.

What a splendid place that B&B looks - like many a v flyer we have become used to the corporate offerings - especially in orlando - but we will not complain ;-)

Nice to see that the Delta Room was less crowded, many is the time that we have had to stand and swoop as soon as a seat becomes free.

The ways things are looking, getting UC from Orlando is becoming increasingly difficult, so seeing your pics was a lovely sight

Thanks once again

buns
#919157 by marshy11
25 Mar 2016, 14:38
Loving the photos, looks and sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thanks for the detailed TR.
#919160 by Maximus
25 Mar 2016, 15:21
Glad to hear you had a good holiday Dicky. You look very dapper in that sleep suit :cool:
Last edited by Maximus on 25 Mar 2016, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
#919167 by pjh
25 Mar 2016, 16:45
Thanks for the TR. How I envy you been able to take extended breaks away to somewhere slightly off the usual UK tourist track.

As the others have said, the b&b looked lovely. We've done the same a few times on US trips, and have never been let down by the properties or the owners. Never having been terribly at ease in social situations where I know no-one I'm not a great one for the communal breakfast, but the one where a guest told me we were close to the museum that housed Howard Hughes' flying boat was worth it.
#919174 by tomthumb
25 Mar 2016, 18:12
Many thanks for the TR and what a find that B&B
Virgin Atlantic