Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919151 by oldboy
25 Mar 2016, 13:20
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Following 2 days in Fort Lauderdale & a 10 day Caribbean cruise we were ready to set off for home.

Unfortunately the taxi driver who picked us up at the Fort Lauderdale cruise port had no idea of how to navigate around the Miami area, the only destination he seemed to know was Miami International airport & with no sat nav he got lost trying to find the hotel we had booked to use prior to our evening flight home. To cut a very long story short we eventually got the driver to drop us at a taxi rank where we changed to another taxi & offered him $70 against the $117 on the meter (the meet & greet service from Miami International to Fort Lauderdale cost $90 in a rather swish SUV)

Finally arrived at our hotel, given the extended journey from Fort Lauderdale & the fact that during our holiday we managed to change from the VS006 (22.30) to the VS118 (18.50) we only had around 3 hours at the hotel but at least long enough for a spot of lunch & a freshen up.

Arrived at Miami International, reviews on v flyer had told us not to expect much but we we still surprised at just how basic the facilities are, amazing for such a major airport. We arrived with a few hundred $ burning a hole in our pockets & didn't manage to spend one of them. The Americas lounge is pretty poor as well but I guess more comfortable that the main departure area. Fortunately our learnings from v flyer meant that we didn't arrive at the airport early so out time in the lounge was fairly short.

We were straight on to the flight when called & had no delay as priority boarding was operational. Once on board & a rarity for us we declined the bubbly offered & settled down for what I think was an on time departure on board Diamond Girl.

I had the curry for main course & my wife a fish dish, we both enjoyed our meals more than on the out bound journey, we again declined wine with our meals which must be a first but did enjoy a couple of glasses of port with the cheese.

The journey was fine, nothing special but nothing to complain about, maybe we have been spoilt by so many UC flights but certainly the buzz seems to have gone a little.

As I said though, no complaints.

oldboy
Last edited by oldboy on 27 Mar 2016, 09:36, edited 4 times in total.
#919154 by buns
25 Mar 2016, 14:18
Thanks for the TR

MIA does not appear to have changed since I first flew out of there in 1980 :-D

A few years back, we got there early and had a final burger in the MIA Hotel, which again seems not to have changed since the 80's!!

Thanks once again

buns
#919155 by marshy11
25 Mar 2016, 14:37
Thank you for the TR. What a palaver with the taxi driver, still, all's well that end's well and you got there in plenty of time.

Sounds like an average flight home.
#919166 by pjh
25 Mar 2016, 16:39
Thanks for the TRs. How as the cruise itself?

oldboy wrote:The journey was fine, nothing special but nothing to complain about, maybe we have been spoilt by so many UC flights but certainly the buzz seems to have gone a little.

As a Doctor I would recommend a course of long haul (11 hr +) flights in the BA WT cabin. The buzz of being in VS UC will soon return.
#919175 by tomthumb
25 Mar 2016, 18:15
Its been a long time since I was last at MIA - clearly a place to avoid if at all possible
#919177 by Hamster
25 Mar 2016, 19:29
Thanks for the TR, sounds like concourse F at MIA is still bad! I think that concourse D is quite nice (where AA(and soon BA) goes from), and is accessible from E.
#919206 by oldboy
26 Mar 2016, 11:15
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TRs. How as the cruise itself?

oldboy wrote:The journey was fine, nothing special but nothing to complain about, maybe we have been spoilt by so many UC flights but certainly the buzz seems to have gone a little.

As a Doctor I would recommend a course of long haul (11 hr +) flights in the BA WT cabin. The buzz of being in VS UC will soon return.

Thanks Doc, I will consider
#919207 by oldboy
26 Mar 2016, 11:17
pjh wrote:Thanks for the TRs. How as the cruise itself?

The cruise was great, thank you pjh. Ten lovely days around various Caribbean Islands on Board the Royal Princess.
Virgin Atlantic