Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919271 by roadrunner
28 Mar 2016, 15:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Only realized that morning that we had misjudged times as 7 am was the new 8 am (Daylight Savings) making that twice in two weeks we lost an hour between flights. Also did not check to see that departure time had shifted as well from what we thought was a 15:30 flight to 13:30 and we hotfooted it to Heathrow from Glos to return our hire car, hoping we'd have no traffic. All went smoothly until we wandered in to T3 to a hubbub of confusion. Not sure if the Virgin Delta set up is in the process of transformation and therefore a mess or if this is what it is, but it was difficult to determine which line was ours until we asked and were directed to PE check in off to the right side of the swarm of students doing bag drop.
Told it was full down back and up front and that we were too late for bulkheads but very pleasant check in and bag tag (that nervous moment where you watch the scale ominously lean towards the 23K cut off) and still had time for some duty free single malt shopping before gate was announced (20). I can't even imagine how slowly you would have to walk if the signs were accurate re how long it takes to get to gate 30 (30 minutes?) but we managed to be directly behind two large school groups which happily kept going past gate 20 and were able to jump right into dedicated PE and UC check-in and seen right on board at Cabin Door A while EC were held at checkin. Very,very nice, especially as it clearly became evident the school groups had mistaken their gate and all trooped back to 20 to join us.

Onboard Miss Sunshine (GVray A33-343X) with Vera Touch overhead lockers were assigned by seat number. Despite being told it was a very full load, PE was relatively light, making the larger overhead storage in central seats available. Sparkling wine offered (and MUCH nicer) immediately and settled in, a bit worried that the couple in front of looked the sort to want to sleep with their seats all the way back (just a guess) and thinking we would move back a row once airborne. Winds had picked up as we were loading and Katie was moving in but skies were still light, so not at all worried despite the blow, we were second in line to take off into what immediately appeared to be a stormy Armageddon that I think surprised everyone. While still mid cloud storm and looking out with interest as we were untroubled, a brilliant bolt of lightening struck/grazed (can you be grazed by lightning?) us just under where we sat--in front of the wing. The plane shuddered a little but kept on while some of us said--did you see that? and wondered what next. Shortly afterwards the Captain got on the tannoy and said that he supposed some of us had noticed we had been struck by lightening but we were fine, it happens all the time, and they were happy. Happy? I sat there as I imagine others of us did, wondering if they were dead sure all the working parts of this nice shiny aircraft were going to continue functioning as expected for the next seven and a half hours . No coincidence I think that drinks were quickly served! This wine was MUCH nicer than the outbound flight (the white a very light and crisp Italian Sav Blanc and the red a French Shiraz). Dinner was airplane food (nothing to get excited about), my beef stew and green beans brought back memories of school lunches but another wine and mid-flight a cognac and any worries about lightening bolt after effects were history.
Vera Touch is great but I did clearly annoy the person seated in front of me by what I thought were gentle taps and while I could have used the handset, it was just nicer to use the screen, even when they retaliated by reclining there was still plenty of room. Two windows and a beautiful day, i read the paper and looked out as we flew over the Severn, then across Ireland and headed out over a clearly visible white-capped sea. We made food time and I slept for a bit, watched a movie and looked out the window at what is always a thrill - land and sea from 37,000 feet.
Tea was veggie or chicken and bacon wraps which were okay if you discarded wrap portion. Cabin crew were again stellar with the exception of one member who got hysterically loud laughing over a bathroom joke. They couldn't have had it easy as a walk or two round the back showed the school groups (Hounslow to Jay Peak--skiing in Maine in April?) stood in huddles talking the entire trip which can't as well have been very pleasant for anyone in EC not in their group. Crew had to chase a few of them out of UC!
Landfall was very eastern Canada, right down over Miramichi bay where it was still locked in by snow and ice and down the coast to Boston where we circled for a bit before coming in to seats favorite runway that requires flying very low over Chelsea Pier cranes you hope stay where they are and landing all the way out just on the edge of the harbor with a very long taxi to the gate. My one concern from the lightening strike was, will the wheels open down--and yes they did.
Having been worried that the PE experience would be so-so after loss of dedicated flight staff, no worries. Used miles to book during the miles sale and before the miles increase and very happy with the result which is a good thing as was thinking that really accruing miles was just not good value for money given the increase needed to use them but will now have to re think that. Good flight, highly recommend.
#919273 by tomthumb
28 Mar 2016, 15:38
The dreaded weigh in - worse than going to Weight Watchers sometimes..... Glad the flight was good even though you had the lightening strike. Great TR
Last edited by tomthumb on 28 Mar 2016, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
#919275 by mitchja
28 Mar 2016, 16:02
Thanks for the TR :)

Yes VS check-in is apparently chaos at the minute as Heathrow airport are in the process of replacing / upgrading baggage belts in T3 and it's the turn of VS for the next couple of weeks, hence why some of VS check-in has temporarily moved from zone A to zone B. Once complete VS check-in will be fully operational again in their usual zone A.