Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919593 by Hev60
04 Apr 2016, 18:34
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So finally our holiday to Florida has arrived. We were travelling to Orlando to spend a week there without the grandkids, so had no intention of visiting a theme park (bliss) and then travel onto the gulf coast to relax in the sun on Longboat Key. Having read comments from Dickydotcom, we were pleased to hear that the temperatures were “above normal” and they really were - hot hot hot.

We took a taxi from home to Gatwick and stayed at the Hilton Hotel overnight. Enormous queue at the check-in but we went straight to a Hilton Honours agent. We were given a very nice upgraded room and vouchers for the Garden Restaurant where we had a very enjoyable meal.

Up early and walked over to the terminal. I’m sure the walk used to be different in the old days as I cannot remember having to cross a road into the departure terminal but perhaps we took a wrong turning from the Hilton. Check-in desk was empty and we warmly greeted by the agent who then wished us a good holiday. Security was very busy but the priority line took us to the front, however you then you join everyone else for the scrum to get through the scanning process. This is such a different experience from the DTCI at Heathrow. Calm was quickly restored as we turned into the corridor leading to the Clubhouse, which at 8am was very empty. Pleasantly greeted and then shown around after explaining it was our first visit to the Clubhouse at Gatwick.

We enjoyed a very relaxing couple of hours. Both of us had the full English breakfast. My friend then went off as she had booked a hand and nail treatment. The peace of the clubhouse was actually temporarily interrupted by a party of five gents who in my opinion had already consumed a considerable amount of alcohol by 10am! Their behaviour actually gave me the opportunity to strike up a very nice conversation for the next 30 minutes with an American lady, waiting for her Delta flight. Once the Las Vegas flight was announced, peace was restored!!! I am sure those of us remaining in the clubhouse were relieved not to be on that flight.

Once our flight was announced we made our way to the gate, which is quite a walk. Straight through via a priority lane but then I was stopped for a last security search. Actually it was quite hilarious because my friend had decided to take control of my wheeled carry-on, coz her own bag was heavy, which left me with no bag to search through. Once on board we was warmly greeted by the VS staff. Our seats on the 747 worked well as we had opted for 8 A & K so we could have some interaction during the flight.

The flight was very enjoyable, there was a little bit of turbulence over Canada and I had some good views of the whole east coast, especially New York as we flew down to Orlando. The crew worked hard and were busy but friendly throughout the flight. My first choice of meal was not available, no big deal, but then the FSM came along, called me by my first name and apologised saying she would compensate the meal issue by requesting some flying club miles be allocated to me. Nice gesture and I enjoyed the second choice anyway.

Afternoon tea, with a good choice of sandwiches and cakes was served about hour and half before landing. Touch down into Orlando about 15 minutes early. Empty immigration hall and luggage came through quickly. We then made our way over to the garage where we collected our brand new Dollar (upgraded) car. Dollar Express membership always works. There were long checkouts at the Alamo kiosk, so glad we chose Dollar

As reported by someone else in their TR, the new road layout from the airport leading to the 417 has changed considerably and once the new ramp is finished, it will be even better. At present there is still lot of construction and I would hate to drive it at night. That Boggy Creek Road no longer crosses a set of traffic lights or requires that right turn up onto the 417, somehow we just filtered onto the 417. We arrived at our rental villa on the Emerald Island Resort just about 90 minutes after landing at MCO.

Orlando was very busy & crowded, even though it was not yet the Easter school holidays. For interest to those who know the area, the revamping of old Downtown Disney (now renamed Disney Springs) is still a nightmare but nearly finished. The roadworks around there are horrid and confusing, even to us and we’ve been visiting the area for the past 25years!!!!

Finally I can report we had a very positive and enjoyable Virgin Atlantic experience.
Thanks to all VS staff - keep up the good work.
#919594 by hiljil
04 Apr 2016, 18:46
Thank you for such an enjoyable TR. I am so pleased you were able to issue five stars all round ! Well done VS !
Your remarks about the drive out of MCO brought back many happy memories .

I hope you had a pleasant stay & that your return flight was as good as the outward bound.
#919595 by hazban
04 Apr 2016, 18:57
Good to read a positive report, you sound to have had a good time.
Agree about the heat, I was there at the same time! Like you I avoided the theme parks this time mainly because of the heat but also the crowds, it was the start of "Spring Break" which is a time to avoid if you are able to work out the US holidays.
A visit to Downtown Disney, or whatever it is called now, was a surprise. All the construction and new multi storey car parks caught me off guard, think I will give it a miss till the work is completed!
Still like you I am drawn back time and time again.
#919598 by tomthumb
04 Apr 2016, 19:51
Great trip report and nice about saying you'll get some miles as your first choice of meal not available :D
#919606 by dickydotcom
05 Apr 2016, 07:26
Thanks for the TR. Good to hear it went well.
Make sure you get the miles for lack of meal choice. I got 4000 a couple of years ago when they ran out of the starter I had ordered. Now I always choose whatever looks most popular in the hope they'll run out and give a few miles. :D
Dick D
#919608 by buns
05 Apr 2016, 07:58
Thanks for such an engaging TR and for the update on the 417 :D

Shame about the noisy loutds in the Clubhouse, as I have nver had such an experience like that at Gatwick (that said, some might have said that about me in the past :blush: )

Glad everything else went smoothly

buns
#919609 by Snora
05 Apr 2016, 08:23
Good to read your TR . Oh bliss..... the heat of Florida ! It is at this time of year when I find it hard to imagine such warmth and that it is even though we spent the month of January in the Caribbean and FL ! But FL was chilly and we had a two day storm then.

Lovely to hear your flight was so good. The roadworks around MCO really caught us out coming across from St Pete's in January, we missed the 'new' (?) airport exit and ended up going out of our way and into standing traffic. Not good when you are heading to Departures, but when finished it should all be a breeze . Also we have only been to FL twice before... so unlike the multi returners didn't really know where we were going !

Can't wait for our next UC experience., hoping to return to South Africa.... keep searching that darn calendar for JAN 17 but VS are playing hardball !
#919611 by Jedimum
05 Apr 2016, 10:33
great TR .. thanks .. fab to hear you had a good time !!

weve got 177 days until our florida trip but sadly flying from Man so no CH but hey ho ..

how long have the road works been going .. we were over in October and didn't notice them ?

Lisa x
#919612 by oldboy
05 Apr 2016, 11:18
Many thanks for the TR, very enjoyable read.

I think you may be right regarding the Gatwick Hilton, I seem to remember that up until a few years ago
you could walk straight from the hotel in to the terminal without going outside/crossing road.
Virgin Atlantic