Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919640 by Hev60
05 Apr 2016, 22:41
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Final part of my Florida trip report.

Having travelled up from Florida, we arrived at JFK quite stressed. By now we realised our planned transfer time was cut from 5hours to just over 2hours, so unfortunately lost time in the clubhouse! Catching the Airtrain from T5 to T4 was easy apart from carting lots of luggage on & off the train, along corridors and up elevators.

The UC check in desk was empty and the staff were friendly and informative directing us to the clubhouse. Then security was a nightmare with long queues. We were supposedly given a priority lane but even so this took another 10minutes before we got to the scanners. Two passengers were having an awful row about who pushed in. There was then usual scrum to get through to the other side, not helped by an airline crew member who was setting off alarms as she went through the body scanner. This resulted in all the hand luggage bags stacking up and it was manic trying to retrieve our stuff.

We walked to the clubhouse which was quite crowded. Apparently the VS 46 was delayed. We was shown around and introduced to someone who would assist with our drink & food. We just had enough time to have the salmon starter, followed by the Clubhouse burger and finally ice cream. Few glasses of Merlot was also enjoyed!

All too soon, boarding for our flight was announced. Warmly greeted by the crew members at the door and we was directed to our seats in the snooze zone area. However my seat had been occupied by a missing passenger who was getting changed but his belongings were strewn over the seat! Had a nice chat with the FSM while we waited for him to return. Not that it was her fault, she was full of apologies and came back twice before take off to ensure I was settled and relaxed.

There were a few empty seats in the forward zone area which surprised us because of the VS46 delay. We pushed back on time, slowly taxied to a runway but it was nearly 55minutes before we actually took. Once in the air and seatbelt sign off, the crew were magnificent and swift into action getting passengers sorted who want their seat converted to maximise the sleep time. The cabin was soon very quiet and as I had opted for no breakfast, I slept for a long while. Serving of breakie was actually over when I woke but our cabin crew member was more than happy to give me a glass of orange and mug of coffee.

The descent into Heathrow was immediate, not the usual holding pattern resulting in touring round and round over London! We taxied straight to the gate and disembarked very quickly. I found this to be a very positive flight with the crew being very friendly, attentative and efficient when needed. Tops marks and note Inhate to comment on food & entertainment but didn't actually experience them.

Immigration at Heathrow was absolutely horrendous with literally hundreds of people crammed into that claustrophobic area. Queues going up and down so many times. Finally after nearly 40minutes we were through passport control and on our way to the Revivals Lounge. Never used this facility before but we had planned not to have breakfast on the plane, opting to relax here for a bit while waiting for family to pick us up. We had a very nice freshly cooked breakfast, plus tea and toast. Shall use this again.

Our flight from JFK to Heathrow was a very pleasant travel experience and I'm already in the early stages for next year. Palm Springs & Scottsdale are top of my list ;-)
#919645 by buns
06 Apr 2016, 05:54
Thanks for the final chapter of your epic saga :D

I have to say the last time I used JFK with the new Delta Reception a few years back, "priority" was anything but.

Good to hear the crew were on top form, but not good to hear that T3 Immigration is still a nightmare >-( No doubt Teresa May will try and hide the lack of staff under the "additional security" banner

Thanks once again

buns
#919647 by hiljil
06 Apr 2016, 06:53
Thank you for the latest TR. The actual flight sounded like a welcome relief sandwiched between nightmares ! So pleased the VS staff came up to scratch again and that overall you had a good experience.

Not looking forward to arriving back at T3 after your description ! :-O
#919726 by tomthumb
07 Apr 2016, 11:47
Many thanks for the TR - never good to lose time in the CH
#919747 by Bretty
07 Apr 2016, 22:32
Thanks for the positive TR, nice to see VS crew on the ground and in the air were on form and made for a good experience. I haven't read your other TRs about the trip so must look them up, sounds like it's been eventful.
#919750 by oldboy
08 Apr 2016, 09:04
Thank you for your TR. When we arrived a Term 3 a couple of weeks ago there were long queues at immigration, fortunately I had got a couple of Fast Track vouchers from a member of Cabin Crew so we were soon through. These passes are actually for use by none EU passport holders but we were not challenged & were soon through.
Virgin Atlantic