Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#919784 by Gavin
08 Apr 2016, 23:25
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This flight was booked with a little bit of hassle, my card was charged and the pre auth taken then 2 days later the money was taken from my account, only the pre auth remained on my account for 2 weeks before it was dropped, it seemed Virgin America had no idea what I was on about and my bank said it will either drop off or Virgin will claim the money again! so I had a worried 10 days waiting to see if I was double charged... I was not :D

I am not normally a person to pay for first class.... hover it somehow was only £70 more and as you get 2 free bags, I thought it was a bargain!
So,After a long drive from San Francisco with many stops along the pacific highway 1 taking in Monterey Pismo and Big Sur etc I arrived on the lovely free way to the Hertz car drop off centre. In fairness Hertz was slick which is more than can be said for the LA roads!

Check in was slightly different, as I had not checked in online I had to check in on a screen which was demanding $50 for my bags! Thinking maybe I was mistaken about first getting free bags in first I paid.
I then dealt with a delightful lady on check in who on mentioning the charge was shocked said that aint right and refunded the bag fees on the spot, to say sorry she gave us free access to the Loft - VX equivalent of the clubhouse, and after seeing the zoo that is LAX terminal 2 I was very glad.

The Loft id no clubhouse, there are free beer wine (non specific wine!) and snacks such as nuts, everything else is chargeable and not exactly cheap - A turkey sandwich was $12 and a pack of chips $2! however it was a welcome relief after seeing the Zoo near the gate.

Boarding was 30 mins before departure, and was bang on time. Being in first class we were called first and were seated in 2AC swiftly, the couple in 2EG sat down after us with full sized cases, way to big to fit in the bins i thought, A G&T was ordered and we settled back in the big white seat and legroom. Couple opp ordered 2 beers and water and asked for some snacks, all were given.....at their point their got up and walked up the cabin to their seats!!! cheeky or what.... we say the bags being off loaded shortly after but the cheeky passengers were not!

The (handsome) co pilot came out to thank all of us for boarding introduced the crew and said the flight was just 50 mins.
I was disappointed we did not get to see the safety video - Upper only have a manual demo and this was very poor, Que a girl in high heels leather jacked and chewing gum going through the motions as we listened to the video but could not see it - it was funny but poor, I am sure if she was serving us the flight would have been quite different!

Flight was short- no Drama- another G&T served in flight this time in a glass (is there a rule regarding glass on the ground) and flight landed on time! Co pilot came out again to shake hands and say goodbye- all rather impressive really.

All in all was very impressed with virgin America reminded me a bit of what VS was,,, and thinks it still is.... shame they will be toast in a few years >-( >-( >-( >-( >-( >-(
#919789 by stevebrass
09 Apr 2016, 10:02
We are doing the same route in October (but in economy). Glad it went well.