Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920089 by vic110
16 Apr 2016, 22:54
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Well after a great 2 weeks travelling around Florida we had to return home. We had an internal flight from Fort Myers to Atlanta which went smoothly and we arrived early in Atlanta. We had 5hrs to wait until our flight to Manchester. After having some lunch we made our way to the Delta lounge. We had an issue getting in as our 2 teenage children were travelling in Premium economy so were not allowed into the lounge. We thought we they would be able to come in with us as a guest but they wouldn't allow it, we had to pay $59 each. We were quite disappointed with the lounge and wished we hadn't bothered to pay as it wasn't worth the money. It was very busy and not very much food on offer. We had a few drinks and the seats were probably better than by the gate but I wouldn't bother next time.
No announcements were made in the lounge so we made our way down to the gate about 45 minutes before departure and boarding was just starting. We went up when they called upper class boarding and they allowed us all to board together. We were offered some champagne as soon as we sat down and were offered sleep suits. The crew were lovely, very friendly and spent time chatting to everyone. As soon as we settled down I noticed someone familiar who walked past and said Hi, I realised it was Alex Ferguson. Most of the cabin and in fact most the plane was filled with lots of golfer's who had been at the masters.
We took off on time and it was a pretty smooth flight (much better than our outbound flight). This is our second time in Upper class and last time it was on a 747. I found the seat to be very comfy and was plenty big enough for me but my husband felt it was a bit claustrophobic, but then he is very tall and I am only 5ft 2 so that probably makes a difference. I think the cabin does feel cramped and I do prefer the spacious cabin on the 747. The cabin was also very warm but when we spoke to our kid's they said their cabin was really cold and some people were complaining about it being cold.
The drinks order was taken before take off and they were soon delivered followed by our meal. I had a red pepper soup to start followed by fillet of beef which was pretty tough compared to the nice steaks we'd had in Florida. I passed on the dessert but I think the choices were a chocolate orange pudding or cheesecake and then the usual cheese and biscuits. Most people had their beds made up quite soon after the meal but I waited a while watching some tv and listening to music. The crew were great and seemed to always be around if you needed them but not imposing. I managed to get some rest but not any sleep but then I don't sleep well in my bed at home so not much chance on a plane. I was up before they started the breakfast and while waiting for the toilet said Hi to Alex Fergurson again which was quite weird as we were both in our sleep suits.
Breakfast was served to those who wanted it, I had porridge which was lovely and a couple of nice mugs of tea. We had to circle Manchester a few times so ended up landing about 15 minutes late but we were very quick going through immigration, just in time as the 747 landed just behind us.
We discovered later that day while watching the news that the guy who won the golf masters was also sat opposite us but we had no idea who he was. ha ha.
All in all it was a good flight which passed quick. It makes flying much easier when sitting in upper class and it's going to be difficult to travel in any other class again. I need to get spending on my credit card to get more miles for our next flight.
#920129 by buns
17 Apr 2016, 20:22
dickydotcom wrote:Thanks for the TR.
We may be coming home via ATL next year.
Any tips on the best seats to choose?
Dick D

One sincerely hopes that the dire UC configuration on the A330 has been revamped across the fleet by next year.

If not, my advice is to stay away from the middle seats

buns
#920133 by vic110
17 Apr 2016, 21:57
dickydotcom wrote:Thanks for the TR.
We may be coming home via ATL next year.
Any tips on the best seats to choose?
Dick D

We sat in 4A and 5A and would recommend these seats as they were far enough away from the bar and not to near the galley.
#920210 by tomthumb
19 Apr 2016, 12:31
I agree - 3A, 4A and 5A - the best seats in the house or should I say plane
Virgin Atlantic