Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920257 by TheHarps
20 Apr 2016, 11:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was our Ex Dublin trip. Our excursion started from Exeter (near where we lived) to Dublin with Flybe. We had a 5 hour wait at the Dublin terminal until our flight from Dublin to Gatwick with Aer Lingus. Both these flights were functional therefore nothing particular to report. We stayed overnight at the Gatwick North Premier Inn.

On the day of our Vegas flight we got up nice and early to make the most of the Lounge. I was with a group of friends who had never flown Upper before. They too, were keen to experience the lounge. One of our group was economy so I got him in as a guest.

Most of us travelled with hand baggage only. Only one of our group of 6 had checked baggage. So once finished at check-in we arrived in the lounge at about 0715am.
The English breakfast was ordered and as is customary, a few red heads too. The group were pleased with the look, feel and quality of food and drinks in the lounge.
Three of the group booked a treatment each. We busied ourselves working through the cocktail list. Either due to the alcohol or the good vibe of the place the lady going around signing up new credit card customers hit the jackpot…. 4 signed up, 3 for the white card and 1 for the black. I should have got commission.

Our flight was due to take off at 10:10am. At 09:00am we received a message stating due to our aircraft sustaining damage there would be a 2hr 50min delay. To be fair, none of our group were too fussed as they were having a thoroughly good time in the lounge.
We boarded and took off and the re scheduled time. There were announcements from the captain and FSM apologising for the delay. The captain was confident in making up some of the time due to the tail wind. The aircraft was Ruby Tuesday, all cabins were full and had 15 crew on board.

Due to the change of aircraft the CSS came round stating no menus were loaded. She read out the menu list. Luckily the Upper cabin is small as she did this with all 14 of us.
Our group of 5 took up seats 6A & K, 7A & K and 8A. I haven’t flown upper on the 747 before. I had 6K. I am glad I was friends with the person in 6A as our feet were nearly touching. I’m not sure I would choose to sit there as a single. These are great seats for a couple though.

We had an excellent crew working the Upper cabin and to be honest it was the CSS that pretty much worked the cabin on her own with the occasional help from another crew member. As this was a day flight I chatted a bit with the CSS at the bar. We talked about the new on board service as discussed on another thread and the effect a reduction of crew on aircraft will affect service and crew workload. I think it was mentioned that the crew reductions were not in place yet at Gatwick or at least not on the 747’s.
Some of the crew on this flight were mainly Heathrow based and were working this as their ‘check’ flight to keep them licensed to work on a B747.

Service was very friendly and efficient. The new service with the trolley being loaded at the galley was evident. I cannot recall the menu so I have posted pictures of what I ate.

Beef main course.jpg
Beef main course.jpg (174.19 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

Desert.jpg
Desert.jpg (153.98 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

After the meal service and the crew were all cleared down I asked if our friend in economy could visit. This request was granted and he came into the cabin. We ordered some food from the graze menu (2 burgers and 2 of the snack selection). The six of us shared the small feast.

The CSS chatted with us for a while discussing our Vegas plans.

None of us watched the in flight entertainment much as we sat chatting and getting a great drinks service.
About 1.5hrs from landing afternoon tea was offered. This was a plate service with mugs of tea or coffee. The scone was warm and nice to see Cornish clotted cream too.

Afternoon Tea.jpg
Afternoon Tea.jpg (159.27 KiB) Viewed 2500 times

We landed just 2hrs late as almost an hour was made up as we flew at 38,000 feet and obviously very fast.
This was a great flight thanks to a lovely crew and a group of us enjoying what Upper Class offers.
#920260 by julmops
20 Apr 2016, 12:58
Great TR, thanks for posting !
My UC days are behind me for the time being as I don't fly Biz for work anymore and I need to rebuild a nice stack of miles before I can upgrade again ...
Good to see you had a great time in the lounge and on the flight.
#920264 by marshy11
20 Apr 2016, 13:55
Lovely photos and a great TR, thank you for posting.

We have one last UC reward booked for this November to ANU and are concentrating on our first First with BA and the 2-4-1. We've got the voucher, now just need to boost the points.

Sounds like your pal in Y was welcomed into the cabin with open arms. Hope you had a great time and I look forward to the return TR.
#920287 by buns
21 Apr 2016, 08:09
Thanks for the TR.

I want to make sure I read this right - you say the majority of you only took hand luggage for the transatlaic leg to Vegas? :-O

Sounds like the Gatwick Clubhouse staff were on their usual top form ;-)

buns
Virgin Atlantic