Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920267 by sungod
20 Apr 2016, 14:35
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
back to dubai for a business trip (with a nice free weekend in the middle :) ), still struggling on longer flights after my injury so it's another UC flight on the company

went for lowest cost UC this time as it's way cheaper than flexible, no limo/DTCI, but with travel during the rush hour there's no way it'd be faster than taxi and the heathrow express

having said that, i sauntered from the taxi in full knowledge i'd miss the train, and confirmed that by about twenty seconds, but that meant i could do a bit of last minute re-distribution of baggage and check i'd packed my shades - things have been a bit chaotic last few days

arrived at T3 an hour after leaving home, to find the VS check-in area closed for refurbishment!

i was redirected to the temporary desks but couldn't find UC, i was rescued by a VS agent and checked in at the bag drop, turns out there was no UC check-in open :-O

there's no UC lift either, instead go up the escalator and look for the VS signage to the right, swipe boarding pass at the automatic door

joined the security queue behind some confused ladies, but my mellow mood prevailed and i assisted one then took my time for a hassle free scan - unlike my last few trips which've often seen bags/me diverted for swabbing and much additional scanning and patting down

quick dash through duty free for a bottle of tawny port and some chocs, then into the CH

straight in, had a shower, i flew in the face of convention and chose the cheeky cheek to cheek shower gel, instead of the cowdshed bullock, which i find redolent of cigarette smoke

emerged and snaffled the only remaining sofa in the gallery, instant service to order bubbly, then dropped off my shoes for a shine and picked some meat, pickles and bread from the dei counter

set up my mac to do emails and, more importantly, begin my TR!

bubbly tasted different, i have a cold so i initially put it down to that, however it turned out to be jacquart, which seems to have displaced lanson as official CH bubbly, it's ok, certainly better than the english sparkling upstart, but i prefer the acidity of the lanson

had some refills, then a CH burger as the sun set over LHR, quite scenic, though i suppose the rich orangey orb was largely due to the engine fumes

one last bubbly and time to tidy up for boarding

no queue at the gate, straight on, grabbed a sleep suit and was changed before most people had boarded

had a glass of bubbly, then relaxed until takeoff, 195 pax, i think just two or three empty seats in UC

took of bang on-time, captain announced we were expecting to arrive about 30 minutes early at DXB

as soon as we were up and the seat belt light was off, it was convert to bed time and i donned mask and earplugs for about four hours sleep

woke up and had a light breakfast while most were still snoozing, then changed out of the sleepsuit before the rush

we were indeed early, no ATC delays

first time arriving at the new terminal...

i walked fast and reached the train with what looked like a planefull of people just ahead of me - the other VS pax were far behind, i don't think any made the same train

i was in the last carriage, which i soon realised would translate to back of the queue at immigration, but my fast walk allowed me to overtake everyone by the second escalator and i reached the empty immigration hall in the old terminal

i showed my boarding pass at the fast track and they waved me on, the agent at the desk looked grumpy but i forgave him

through to the baggage hall, saw VS400 on the belt 1 indicator, so i waited there, and waited, and waited, after about ten minutes i went searching and found VS400 was also showing on belt 8, which was where the bags actually were :blush:

overall the new terminal seemed a bit faster to get through than the old one, but if i'd had to wait for the train i think it would have been about the same

the CC all seemed friendly and efficient, as usual no AU welcome, the amenity kit was the herschel one, the 346 UC seat much more comfy than the 333

best of all, dubai is warm and sunny
#920280 by Bretty
21 Apr 2016, 00:53
Sounds like you're ready for a break over the weekend sungod so try not work too hard now will you!
Thanks for posting the TR hope you have a wonderful time, I'm in countdown mode for my next trip to SFO.

What are the Herschel amenity kits like, any improvement on the others?
#920282 by sungod
21 Apr 2016, 03:28
the bag has a strap to close it, unfolded there are a couple of zipped compartments, one is mesh; it might be useful to stash things in when travelling with hand baggage only

the contents are pretty much the same...

eye shades
    earplugs - these weren't in a solid holder, so they were squished flat and didn't spring back, i had to use the 'wrong' end to make them stay put
    some hand/face creams and lip balm, in a little white cloth bag with a string neck
    purple plastic biro
    toothbrush and relatively large tube of toothpaste, probably enough for a few days
    plain black socks
#920283 by buns
21 Apr 2016, 06:12
Thanks for the TR.

I have to admit , the trip to Dubai is becoming a favoured way for Mrs Buns to quickly grab some sun and get back to work with the minimum of jet lag ;-)

Coupled with a usually empty Clubhouse late afternoon / early evening, it provides a great opportunity to chill.

Hope you manage to get some good down time this weekend

buns
#920298 by Bretty
21 Apr 2016, 13:31
sungod wrote:the bag has a strap to close it, unfolded there are a couple of zipped compartments, one is mesh; it might be useful to stash things in when travelling with hand baggage only

the contents are pretty much the same...

eye shades
    earplugs - these weren't in a solid holder, so they were squished flat and didn't spring back, i had to use the 'wrong' end to make them stay put
    some hand/face creams and lip balm, in a little white cloth bag with a string neck
    purple plastic biro
    toothbrush and relatively large tube of toothpaste, probably enough for a few days
    plain black socks

Thanks. So bag, reasonable (ish), contents = meh. Sounds about right!
Virgin Atlantic