Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920372 by horburyflyer
23 Apr 2016, 11:59
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
A short and sweet review mainly due to the lack of photos but I'll try and cover off the main experience.

Arrived at T3 around 1615 from Yorkshire thanks to Virgin Trains and Heathrow Express. A really seamless journey including a ride across London in a black cab. Five of us were travelling so after (finally) locating the UC check in area (the normal area is closed whilst the baggage belts are refurbished) we were checked in functionally. No bells or whistles though were wished a good flight and told how to find the private security channel now the lift is closed for refurbishment too.

Security was a breeze and we were quickly walking up the CH. Warmly welcomed and we settled in for a few hours of grazing!

The CH was very quiet which isn't unusual between 4pm-6pm but it remained calm and lots of free tables until we left at 2130. With spa appointments pre-booked we settled in for something to eat. Service was ok but seemed to lack the flair that the CH is traditionally known for. Nothing at all to complain about - just noteworthy.

We left before the first boarding call having enjoyed a few drinks, the food, had a shower and enjoyed the spa.

On reaching gate 19 at 2130 we entered the 'gate pen' to find it crowded and the CC still seated waiting to board. It later was explained on board that the aircraft 'Varga Girl' had arrived from JFK late and a medical emergency had occurred whilst taxiing from the runway which had delayed the turnaround.

Boarding commenced just after 2200 and entered through L1. The FSM was at the door and it was great to see this would be a flight that would be noteworthy for the right reasons :D

As we settled in champagne, OJ and water were offered though refills were not proactively offered (likely due to keep any further delay to a minimum) followed by sleep suits ( I love the lavender spray that comes with these now to aid sleep) and finally newspapers.

The amenity kit was on the seat and just before push-back a small bottle of water was offered. Pushback was delayed until 2245 as we had to be de-iced which considering this was mid-April was a little surprising but still fun to watch from the aircraft.

With all 230 passengers on board - UC and PE were full. We took to the skies at 2301. A flight time of 6hrs18mins was promised. Scented hot towels were eventually offered after take-off though this was slightly delayed as the crew member offering them got distracted talking to an off-duty crew member travelling in UC though these were re-done when the CSS spotted the delay and moved her along.

Drinks were offered with crisps and refills offered proactively. Half the cabin converted their beds and settled down for the night.

Sadly the IFE was not playing ball at all though the FSM kept everyone informed. The guy was a 'grafter' for sure, he was heavily involved in the UC service from start to finish. He came and spoke to everyone personally and welcomed me back warmly. A real gem to be honest. The IFE did work after a full reboot about an hour into the flight but even when it was back the screen was scratchy and the sound quality poor. The A340-600 do feel entertainment wise like you are in a time-wrap compared to Vera Touch etc.

That said the aircraft was a refreshed one so had the brownish seat covers, side panels and it was comfortable.

Dinner was served using the new service standard. So a trolley to set up the table with wine, water and bread came down the aisle. This didn't take too long but is a real faff for the crew who all said they much prefer the way they did this before. I didn't mind the trolley on this flight as it didn't take too long to set up but on a daytime flight with everyone eating it takes a long time (I'll save that though for the return TR)

So tables laid for dinner and the menu was:

Fresh seasonal asparagus with hollandaise sauce, cherry tomatoes and pea shoots
Ceasar salad
Carrot and coriander soup
Free range roast chicken
Fillet steak
Tomato and mozzarella gnocchi
Salmon salad
Warm brioche and butter pudding
Passion fruit and coconut slice
Cheese and port

I enjoyed a main course of roast chicken which was nice but the potato cake that came with it was very salty indeed. The warm brioche and butter pudding was good when it arrived though had to be cooked again as it was served cold first time around.

With tables cleared away the lights were finally turned out at 0045. They were switched back on 0345 for the breakfast service. Sadly no breakfast cards were loaded but it included chicken sausage sandwiches, the full works, Danish pastries, muffins, cereals, fruit and so on.....coffee came hot and strong and the CC mentioned she had prepared a filter coffee for me which was a nice of her.

The service throughout was friendly and professional. The CSS looked after the bar which was busy during the flight and the FSM well he worked his socks off, a real credit to VS. The CC looking after us was friendly though struggled with her voice as she had been shouting at her daughters martial arts class earlier that afternoon. Through her service and that of the FSM I have given them a 5.

The fruit basket came around just before landing along with another round of hot towels and lovehearts.

We did a long approach into DXB landing at 0815 local. It was hot. We parked at D21 which is the longest walk to the train that takes you to the terminal. It took about 20mins to walk which wasn't helped by one platform that was closed, so we had to go and up down several escalators before reaching the train. It felt a long drawn experience and reminded me of my trips through MIA.

Once in the terminal our fast-track vouchers worked well and we were through at the baggage belt quickly where our cases and those of everyone in UC had been removed and were waiting at the side.

Overall a good flight with a very good FSM.

Sadly the return was far from perfect so await that in the next day or so :-O

Jon
#920381 by buns
23 Apr 2016, 17:43
Jon

Thanks for the TR. Your TR, mirrors my recent experience as far as the Clubhouse goes - getting there early just helps the settleing process ;-)

As far as the fight, "Textbook" is the word that comes to mind. It is very comforting to get that feeling when you board that it is going to be a good one - if regular travellers get the vibe, why is it that Crawley towers seem to remain oblivious on how to retain custom????

Thanks once again and I look forward to what went on on the return leg

buns
#920386 by enjoyingit
23 Apr 2016, 18:22
buns wrote:
As far as the fight, "Textbook" is the word that comes to mind. It is very comforting to get that feeling when you board that it is going to be a good one - if regular travellers get the vibe, why is it that Crawley towers seem to remain oblivious on how to retain custom????

This certainly isn't just a VS problem, all the airlines are suffering the same inconsistencies. Its such a shame that in years gone by VS were the leader in innovation of service and experience, and now they are just another corporate entity. And the real problem, the airlines are making money again so don't need to change a thing. Lets hope the current levels of profit may entice a newcomer to the market, to take up the baton that VS, like others, have completely dropped.
#920437 by horburyflyer
25 Apr 2016, 19:57
buns wrote:

Thanks once again and I look forward to what went on on the return leg

buns

Indeed Buns, that is a fair reflection of the outbound flight. Sadly on the return (TR on its way) we had a very lazy FSM, an off the boil CSS and other than one CC member, the rest of the team in UC really weren't memorable....not to mention the lack of IFE due to a system failure affecting some seats (mine included and a badly handled attempt at recovery of the situation)

Thankfully the new lounge offer at DXB (as you know!) is much improved and the food onboard was pretty good actually.

Jon
#920638 by tomthumb
29 Apr 2016, 21:28
Great trip report and agree the chicken is a good choice
Virgin Atlantic