Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920410 by 15isto2
24 Apr 2016, 18:25
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I had booked this flight through expedia some time ago to attend a course in Pittsburgh, VS were cheapest with economy MAN to ATL and a Delta connection to Pittsburgh.
Checked in on line but ha to collect my tickets form the bag drop area in Pittsburgh, interestingly I could not do check in on the VS website as my first flight was Delta and it would not allow me to change me seat assignment for the VS flight. When collecting my tickets I enquired about any upgrade availability (paid) on the VS flight portion I was told a resounding NO unless I had status with Delta!
Thanks to TSA Pre Check I was quickly through security and at the gate where I endured about an hour of the desk staff telling people they would need to volunteer to check bags as there was not enough space on the flight. Not enough people volunteered so by the time I was boarding people were being forced to check luggage to their final destination, thankfully I was allowed to keep my small carry on with me.
Arrived at my seat to find an American mother and her teenage monster in my row with the mother in my (isle) seat, she was insistent that is was hers and I had the window seat… not wanting to make a scene I attempted to get to the window but the teenage monster did not move, her mother had to ask her to do it. Finally in my seat which I soon discovered was wet I wonder if that’s why “mom” preferred mine). Drinks served in flight but only by the glass, not a full can, otherwise uneventful.
Arrived at ATL to concourse C, quick shuttle to F. Feeling bit frazzled by this point so headed to the Delta “help” area and found some agents with “Virgin” on the screen. After some sight confusion with them thinking I was asking for a PE upgrade and my explaining that upper class was business class and parting with $1117 (my need for a lie flat bed got the better of me) I had a new boarding card and was heading to the Delta sky club.
Much more impressed with the ATL club than the MCO one. Bigger food choice with salads, 2 hot (vegi) Indian dishes, nan breads along with the cookies, nuts etc etc. Lounge quite busy but had some food and a drink then discovered the sun lounge.. was so nice to get some sun an heat as I had not been outside since arriving at MAN on Monday (the joys of a course in an airport hotel connected to the airport) and then a shower, nice and refreshing but quite low water pressure.
Headed to the gate 40 mins before scheduled take off to find a line at priority boarding, waited a few minutes and then they called for any UC or PE ticket holders and it appeared that I was the only one.. not sure why the others has lined up.
Quickly onto the plane and directed to my seat 1G, Not flown this configuration before so the newbie mistake of the seat next to the galley! Quickly offered and accepted champagne, no refill offered newspapers and sleep suits distributed.
After take off drink orders taken and distributed along with diner, I had the goats cheese salad, chicken with mushroom and garlic mash (and the ubiquitous cherry tomatoes) followed by cheesecake. Passed on cheese/biscuits.
Crew member offered to make my bed up for me which was useful as I had not been in that suite type before (as they may have noticed b my attempts to find the USB and power sockets!) breakfast order place but declined wake up call.
Managed some broken sleep and wakened fully to an announcement of 45 mins to landing.. got up to change out of my sleep suit and was asked if I would like my breakfast which was gratefully accepted as I thought I would not have time.
Had the muesli (managed one mouthful) Bacon Roll, Sausage and mushrooms with coffee, all very nice except the cereal.
Uneventful landing and listened to the crew chatting till I disembarked.
Overall, crew friendly and very hard working, enjoyed the flight.
Two niggles re the flight, no crew member introduced themselves to me or called me by name (not so fussed on the latter), secondly and my big concern was the conversation I overheard between the crew while waiting to disembark, the point of which was “are we defib trained now” I would bloody well hope they know if they are trained and the bit about how during their tempus training that it did not work so they were unsure of using it (this being the telemedicine equipment they use in a medical emergency), I assume this is due to the phasing out of senior cabin crew but I am rather concerned if this money saving may potentially be risking lives with crew unsure if or how to use equipment.
#920418 by buns
24 Apr 2016, 20:34
Thanks for the TR - the transit down to ATL sounds postively horrid!!

ATL Terminal F is a super place - the Sky Lounge is streets ahead of MCO and the entire Terminal such an atmoshpere of tranquility that I am more than happy to use that route in th future - so no need to worry Dicky :-D

The passing commentas you left the aircraft may be a signpost for the future, but I reamin hopeful that many of us will not notice any differnce in service standards

buns