Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920532 by HWVlover
27 Apr 2016, 17:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This is actually for LGW-UVF, flight details do not allow me to change that from TAB to which our plane continued.

Back to St Lucia and back to East Winds for the third time in eight months. we are obviously addicted. I book direct with the hotel and arrange my own flights. This time there was little financial advantage in us doing ex-EU with Expedia as I was buying tickets during the VS sale. I opted for a miles and money fare.

As usual the girlies were delivered to their hotel on the Saturday. This time one of them decided she would much rather come home..EEK. Numerous phone calls/texts/e-mails occurred over the next few hours/days to make sure had settled OK. She had.

Then to Gatwick, parked up in the long stay South, did twilight check-in and bought our provisions at M&S and then checked in to the Hilton for our picnic. The Hilton is fine, it is convenient and £126 for a one night stay for us and 16 days car parking was good value. If this sounds samey it is because it was, apart from twilight check, exactly as November!

The clubhouse opens at 6.15 and we were there shortly thereafter, security being a breeze. A full English was scoffed and I was pleased to report back at the time that the food, specifically the bacon, was better than on our previous visits in July and November. I would still prefer it to be hotter. The staff are pretty good so we had a relaxing couple of hours before our 9am departure. We wandered down to our gate (15) at the second call and straight onto the plane, other passengers were already onboard. The plane was full.

I am not a big fan of the herringbone layout on the A330, I prefer a proper window seat. However seats 5A and 6A were fine allowing for the issue shown in my photographs, the dusty and hairy tv screen and surround did not give an impression of cleanliness. Pity.

IMG_1521 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1521 [vflyer size].JPG (125.76 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

IMG_1522 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1522 [vflyer size].JPG (104.46 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

174 [vflyer size].jpg
174 [vflyer size].jpg (57.01 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

Anyway Gardet was soon being drunk and loading was so efficient that the captain endeavoured to get permission to leave early. That didn’t work out but we at least left on time. We circled Gatwick a couple of times, I guess because of incoming traffic, and then set off for St Lucia.

The flight was great, no issues with turbulence at all. The crew looking after us were also great, in particular the excellent Brian and the lovely Karen (permission given to name them) who were both proactive, fun and interested and interesting. We spent a fair amount of time at the bar chatting to them and other passengers.

Back at my seat I started to watch The Revenant and nodded off, I am uncertain whether that was a reaction to the dreariness of the film or simply because I was tired.

When I compare VS to other carriers' business class flights the food quality always means VS loses. This time things were a bit better mainly because I avoided the steak. Seeing the struggle others were having with it meant that was a good decision on my part; I have said elsewhere it felt at one stage that I had dropped in to a Uri Geller convention as cutlery seemed to be bending all around me. There was a lot of wastage. I really don't know where VS get this beef from but it really is consistently poor.

Fortuitously, based on my previous experience, I opted for the "Free Range Roast Chicken on a fresh potato cake with pea puree, baby carrots and sage jus”. It was very good. Sadly that meant I was over confident and ordered the chicken salad on the return VS98 and it was awful...a lump of chicken on top of some leaves, far to dry and far too cold. It was also as tough as old boots or even as tough as a VS steak. I am not sure which is worse.

Back to the 97. I opted out of a pudding and went for the cheese which was fine but once again served far too cold. Later I had afternoon tea at the bar and the sandwiches were stale. The cakes were yummy however. The wines served onboard were nice; the Vondeling chardonnay and the Bodegas Cuarto Dominio Malbec were both very much to my taste.

The flight continued smoothly and we landed half an hour early. Priority disembarkation was in place, we were third to immigration, our luggage came off quickly and we were soon outside, meeting our driver and then we were East Winds bound.

And that is it.

Thanks for reading
David.
Last edited by HWVlover on 27 Apr 2016, 18:38, edited 3 times in total.
#920533 by HWVlover
27 Apr 2016, 17:47
Chardonnay with prosciutto ham with asparagus

IMG_1527 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1527 [vflyer size].JPG (105.87 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

Malbec with the chicken

IMG_1528 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1528 [vflyer size].JPG (100.53 KiB) Viewed 3419 times

Malbec with the cheese too

IMG_1529 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1529 [vflyer size].JPG (105.38 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
Last edited by HWVlover on 27 Apr 2016, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
#920534 by HWVlover
Afternoon tea

IMG_1530 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1530 [vflyer size].JPG (109.44 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

And I always wondered what the lump was. An airbag apparently.

IMG_1525 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1525 [vflyer size].JPG (92.92 KiB) Viewed 3411 times

And the Pitons as we came in to land

IMG_1545 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1545 [vflyer size].JPG (65.22 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
Last edited by HWVlover on 27 Apr 2016, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
#920535 by HWVlover
And some photographs from my stay at the wonderful East Winds.

A beach view.

IMG_2004 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_2004 [vflyer size].JPG (132.64 KiB) Viewed 3409 times

A sunset.

IMG_1593 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1593 [vflyer size].JPG (91.5 KiB) Viewed 2801 times

A hummer.

IMG_1711 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_1711 [vflyer size].JPG (74.56 KiB) Viewed 2801 times

Roll on November.
Last edited by HWVlover on 04 May 2016, 14:42, edited 6 times in total.
#920537 by marshy11
27 Apr 2016, 18:20
Oh, I have SO waited for this. "And that is it". I know only too well that is just the start of an amazing time, I don't really want to read those words....'"and then we were East Winds bound". So very envious but I really want to hear every detail. Hashtag jealous.

Sounds like you picked not only the right meal but a quirky pair of socks! I do agree, the cheese is always too cold on VS flights.

I'm sure you will have had another wonderful time in the most fantastic place. Thank you for the TR, photos and reminder!
#920539 by HWVlover
27 Apr 2016, 18:40
marshy11 wrote: Sounds like you picked not only the right meal but a quirky pair of socks! I do agree, the cheese is always too cold on VS flights.

I'm sure you will have had another wonderful time in the most fantastic place. Thank you for the TR, photos and reminder!

Yes I have another pair of socks like those!!

And East Winds was, as always, simply brilliant. Time for you to book, you know you want to.
#920541 by marshy11
27 Apr 2016, 18:46
HWVlover wrote:
marshy11 wrote: Sounds like you picked not only the right meal but a quirky pair of socks! I do agree, the cheese is always too cold on VS flights.

Yes I have another pair of socks like those!!

And East Winds was, as always, simply brilliant. Time for you to book, you know you want to.

SSshh keep it a secret, we don't want the rabble turning up. :-D

The photos look stunning.
#920545 by honey lamb
27 Apr 2016, 20:12
pjh wrote:Going back in November too? You lucky, lucky man.... :)

More pictures of Malbec next time....

Mmmmm, Malbec! Brings back happy memories of my trip to Mendoza.
#920635 by tomthumb
29 Apr 2016, 20:18
Great trip report and thanks for sharing
#920781 by HWVlover
03 May 2016, 18:57
I found a photograph of the chicken salad served on the return. Not the most elegantly presented meal and it was awful, too cold, tough and dry. And I would not like to meet the chicken that produced that slab on a dark night.

IMG_2048 [vflyer size].JPG
IMG_2048 [vflyer size].JPG (112.28 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
Virgin Atlantic