Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920715 by Amo
02 May 2016, 12:17
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
It has been almost a year to the day that I last flew with Virgin to Orlando. So a good opportuninty to see how things have changed, if at all.

This TR is from the Premium cabin - seat 19C, carefully selected so I could make the dash to immigration without unnecessarily having to trample children and the elderly.

OLCI was done as ever promptly at T+24. This was actually my first time using the "new improved" website design. It worked!

I headed up to Gatwick the night before as is now my ritual to enjoy a very pleasant stay in the Premier Inn at Gatwick North. When VS move to the North Terminal later this year, this hotel really will be one of the closest! As it was, I still made it from my room to the South Terminal check area in under 10min without even breaking into a trot (you know the one reserved for tight flight connections, the bus and, if no-one is watching, the entrance to the Virgin Clubhouse!)

Bag drop was very efficient, I was seen quickly in the Premium Economy area, handed a customs card and wished a good trip.

Alas there would be no clubhouse this visit so into the main terminal I went. I perused the duty free, was tempted by the 2-pack bottles of Tattinger that were on offer. Fortunately the ache in my shoulders that was already emerging from my carry on back pack persuaded me that this would not be a wise idea!

I was expecting the gate to be announced at 1036, the information screen told me thus. However as it was 1040, then 1050 came and went with no gate info, I had a feeling something was amiss. Flightstats confirmed a delay of 30min...probably still awaiting the late aircraft. By 1055 it seemed like half the Orlando flight were gathered by the screens willing them to change. It was rather like a flashmob! Obviously our group effort worked and we were told to report to gate 17. The flashmob was now on the move!

At the gate area I went through the Priority line and managed to grab a seat near the other end before we were soon told we could board. We were handed our bottles of water as we went through the airbridge, I thought this was a very efficient way of handing them out. Probably saved a bit of time in the turnaround too as they didn't put them on every persons seat.

I was not welcomed on board, I certainly didn't get a "welcome back". I did however get a smile and a vague indication of where my seat was located - better than nothing!

My seat for the next 9 hours looked fairly clean, just a few crumbs from the previous occupant, I thought it best not to look too much deeper.....

It was clear looking a my watch that the 30min delay was wishful thinking. Whilst everyone was doing their best to board as quickly as possible, there was something else going on. Captain informed us that some luggage containers were wrongly loaded so we needed to change them to get the correct ones. A delay of about an hour all told. I knew Glasgow and Manchester had already departed so a small shudder went through me at this point as I thought about immigration at the other end.

No matter, the prosecco soon appeared to make all my worries disappear. Very tasty it was too. Because of the delay, I actually had time to enjoy it, having to chug drinks like that just makes me burpy, then I get all embarrassed, people think I'm weird.....it's just not worth it.

We were actually at a good gate for the runway so once we did push back it was only a few mins before we got to hurtle down the runway with all 444 passengers and 16 crew on board.

The crew were soon released from their seats and started with the drinks round quite promptly (I am assuming this is because they now have to do economy as well??). The hot towels worked their way round after the drinks service which have me the opportunity to wipe around my tray table and seat a little bit.

I had pre ordered the veggie meal so was served first for lunch. I think it was originally supposed to be gnocci, however it tasted very nice whatever it was! I'm sure I remember getting warm rolls wit dinner the last time I flew in premium, however these were the pre packaged cold ones. The cheese and biscuits was a bit of a let down as they serve a garlic cream cheese rather than cheddar which I think is a shame.

On a side note, I was extremely glad I had pre booked the veggie meal. There were lots of people who didn't get their first choice. I head the CC saying they had only loaded 10 lasagnes so they had all gone. 10 - seriously?! It has always been my observation that the beef dishes are the most popular by far. I think there was a lot of poaching from economy going on as the chap next to me had a spaghetti meatball dish that came from the back I think.

After dinner I felt like a brandy so went up to ask for one. Unfortunately the CC I asked was plating up the UC desserts and said she would bring it round when she was done. I waited an hour......nothing. Fortunately the crew did do the brandy and amarilo run after this time so I did get my brandy. The same CC was doing the serving...she did remember that I had asked earlier and apologised for forgetting, that's something! I did notice the CC seemed awfully rushed through the flight, lots of people had to ask several times for things as they kept forgetting.

We had the usual Fab ice lolly in the afternoon and I believe there was two juice/water runs. There was a try of snack items at the front, but I was quite full from dinner so didn't partake this time.

The flight itself was extremely smooth and I really enjoyed the entertainment. There were quite a few good movies to watch so I found the time went pretty quickly.

A couple of hours before landing they started with the afternoon tea. It's interesting to see that aspects of the Upper Class service have been added to premium here. I thought the warm scone was a lovely touch. The three finger sandwiches were also very nice. Once again lots of people didn't get their first choice, the meat sandwiches had long gone a couple of rows in front. I noticed the CC had found some chicken wraps for the people in front. This is really rather a shame, I never noticed so many people being let down by the food options before. Ooh as another aside hot drinks are now served in proper mugs now - lovely!

We landed to the south around 1615, so a short taxi to the main terminal and I was stood by the door in the starting blocks! Unfortunately this is why my master plan failed......those three other 747s had beaten us...along with the BA flight and a recently arrived other flight. We walked towards immigration but were held in a white room (in an orderly queue of course). The welcome hosts explained they were trying to clear around 900 people in immigration ahead of us so the hall was full. Now although I could hear much muttering behind me. I could see the logic in this new system. You could use your phones in this room if you wanted (although NOT in the main hall ahead as usual), there were facilities if you required plus I found it less stressful than being squished at the back of the main hall looking at a queue of close to 1000 people!

Anyway after about 45mins we were allowed through, I queued for about 10min before being directed off to the machines at the appropriate point in the queue. This really are quite quick and I was though and done no problem. The bags had been well and truly unloaded by the time we got through so I joined another queue for customs and was on my way soon afterwards. Now to enjoy two weeks in the sun!!

This was my first flight in a couple of years in PE. Overall I didn't leave thinking "wow". Some aspects of the new service are great - mugs, the "afternoon tea" but I feel the rather obvious cutbacks in other areas are not. The service certainly didn't feel premium, more like normal economy. I also think VS need to rethink how they do the meals...I understand the need not to waste portions but I didn't like to see as many people as I did being disappointed.

I really do think VS are at a bit of a crossroads, and I am questioning whether I want to keep collecting the miles to use in the future (especially as they have now drastically upped the cost needed to upgrade). Maybe BA are now worth considering again (please talk me down fellow V-Flyers!!). I shall reserve judgement until after my return flight though...no need to make any hasty decisions just yet ;-)

Thanks for reading!
#920719 by dickydotcom
02 May 2016, 13:56
Thanks for the TR
I have previously parked my bum on 19C and was also first off the plane.
I have also had thoughts about the hike in cost of upgrading so for next year I've blown most of my miles on a full reward fare at 50k out to Orlando and 40k back from ATL in Upper. It would have been 80k for the an upgrade from economy so it seems like a no brainer.
I will continue collecting this year and see how I go.
I think BA already increased their reward fare before VA did.

Dick D
#920724 by pjh
02 May 2016, 14:53
Thanks for the detailed TR.

Amo wrote:This TR is from the Premium cabin - seat 19C, carefully selected so I could make the dash to immigration without unnecessarily having to trample children and the elderly.

They knew the risks when they signed up for the assignment.

Amo wrote:I really do think VS are at a bit of a crossroads, and I am questioning whether I want to keep collecting the miles to use in the future (especially as they have now drastically upped the cost needed to upgrade). Maybe BA are now worth considering again (please talk me down fellow V-Flyers!!). I shall reserve judgement until after my return flight though...no need to make any hasty decisions just yet ;-)

As DickyDotCom has said, I think BA devalued its scheme a fair while ago and whilst there is generally agreed to be more availability and better use of two for one vouchers and the like, there's less flexibility about the miles upgrade path (no Y to J).
#920727 by buns
02 May 2016, 15:33
Amo

Tha nks for the entertaining TR and for your prompt posting!!

I am off to MCO next weekend, so read with interest the queue situation at MCO and also (with some alarm) the shortage of meals - best I visit the Outback Steakhouse before boarding when I return ;-)

Hope you enjoy the florida sunshine

Thanks once again

buns
#920780 by tomthumb
03 May 2016, 18:46
Great TR report and it is always a gamble re Immigration
Enjoy your break
Virgin Atlantic