Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#920867 by mitchja
05 May 2016, 21:57
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
As the VS039 departs LHR at 09:20, I'd flown down from MAN on BA the previous day. Just as well really as when I woke up the previous day BA had sent me a text to say they had cancelled my original 13:30 flight so they moved me onto the 15:40 flight to LHR. Apart from that it was the usual bog-standard BA domestic flight.

Anyway back to the VS flight....I had booked the Crowne Plaza again so used the hoppa bus to get from/to LHR. I caught the 06:09 bus only takes about 10 mins to get to LHR.

Found the temporary VS check-in area with work still being done on the baggage belts in VS's usual A zone. Upper Class check-in just round the corner was not busy and they now actually have 5 or 6 desks for J (more than in their usual zone A!!) The agent laughed when I handed over my passport with my leather cover which is now plastered in VS security stickers. She was very friendly and professional and before long I was heading up to the Upper Class Wing.

I'd tried to check-in online the previous day and whilst VS did check me in, the system would not issues me a boarding pass. As soon as the agent handed me my proper boarding pass I knew why. I had SSSS (secondary / extra screening / gate baggage search) printed on it. First time I've ever had that actually, but I knew that if you get randomly selected for SSSS you cannot print / get boarding passes at home.

No queue at the Upper Class Wing security and I was through in no time at all. Headed up to the Clubhouse which wasn't very busy. Headed straight to the Spa desk as I was desperate for a hair cut where an appointment was made for me at 07:00 so just 10 minutes to wait.

Hair Cut done and dusted by 07:30 so the next stop was the Brasserie for my usual Eggs Benadict breakfast which was nice. After breakfast I had a quick nosey up in the patio area. It's always nice out there when the weather is nice.

I didn't have too long to wait and the VS039 was called around 08:45. I headed to the gate after the first call. Boarding had already commenced when I got there. The boarding pass scanner beeped and flashed red which I knew was for the gate baggage search. That didn't take long at all the the staff where very friendly during this process.

No other pax waiting in the gate room. Was welcomed on board and directed to my seat 6A. The aircraft was an A333. When I'd originally booked this flight (using miles) last year the A/C was showing as a B789 but that changed a few months ago.

Amenity kits and menus where already on the seat. Champagne was offered and accepted. Only had a few minutes before the door was closed a good 15 minutes ahead of schedule. Turns out there where only 95 pax and 10 crew on today's flight! The flight time today was 8hrs 14mins.

We where airborne by 09:30 and as soon as the seat belt sign went off, the cabin serve started. There where only about 14 pax in J. Drinks orders where taken and soon arrived. I carried on watching a film I'd started watching on my previous VS flight in January. As the A/C was G-VGEM as well as AeroMobile, on-board WiFi was also also available.

EE really do take the mick now with their on-board roaming AeroMobile data plan prices. Got the usual text from them and they wanted an absolute insane £30 for just 5Mb of data or £55 for 10Mb as well as £2.50 a minute for calls and £1.00 per text!!!! I passed on that and went for the £14.99 WiFi instead. It wasn't as fast as the WiFi on the B789's either. I did wonder if EE's WiFi Calling would work, but it didn't even with using a VPN.

Menu

Warm breads

Starters
Prosciutto ham with asparagus
Caesar salad
Carrot and coriander soup

Mains
Free range roast chicken
Fillet steak
Tomato and mozzarella gnocchi
Smoked trout salad

Pudding
Warm brioche and butter pudding
Passion fruit and coconut slice

Extra Bites
Classic gourmet beef burger

Afternoon Tea
A selection of sandwiches
Cakes
Scone

The cheese trolly offered after dinner.

I opted for the soup, chicken and the passion fruit slice. All of which where well presented, very nice and tasty.

I had a few trips to the bar during the flight which was never very busy. Chatted to the crew and a few of the other pax. Those A333 bar stools are so uncomfortable though!!

There where the usual sweet and savoury snacks as well as fruit available on the bar to help yourself to.

A few hours after dinner I ordered a burger as I was getting a bit peckish which I eat at the bar which was as good as ever.

I watched a couple of films and before long afternoon tea was served about 90 mins before landing was was good. Whilst the cake stand is no longer offered, it's still more or less the same as it was before.

The cabin was cleared and secured and we landed at ORD early at 11:33. Said my goodbyes to the great crew and it was only a very short 2minute walk to immigration. First time I'd entered the US using Global Entry which was very quick and painless and 2 minutes later I was at the baggage belt waiting for the bags. They soon started coming off. My bag was about the 3rd one off which is unusual for me. Headed to the Global Entry Customs exit point and I was soon outside. Aircraft to exit was approx. 15 minutes :-D

Another fantastic flight, even with the so-called 'cut backs' I didn't notice any difference in service at all. Al the crew where great and where all a credit to VS.

This was the second time I've flown in J on the A333's and for a day flight it's really not as bad as many people make it out to be. I guess the test though will be the over-night flight home next week.

Made my way to T1 and headed into the city using the Blue line followed by 1 stop on the Red line. 5 minute walk from the station to the hotel. I was settling into my (upgraded) suite at the Intercontinental on Magnificent Mile by 13:15.

It does feel a little strange arriving in the US before lunch time. I will have to see if the jet lag kicks in later this evening and see how long I can stay up for!
#920869 by mikethe3rd
05 May 2016, 23:07
Glad to hear you had a great flight, James.

Good luck with the time difference. The Chicago flight really screwed us up due to the early departure and maybe one too many drinks on board.
#920941 by tomthumb
08 May 2016, 13:21
Great TR and enjoy your stay in the US of A ...
Virgin Atlantic