Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#921278 by Luke12
13 May 2016, 21:15
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
We arrived at Gatwick to find huge queues everywhere and bottled water being handed out. We quickly found out that the computers had been down for about 3 hours with no one able to check in. The Virgin economy lines stretched from the check in area almost as far back as the arrivals area.

The virgin staff were flustered but doing as well as they could given the situation. Trying to prioritise passengers for the earlier flights.

We were quickly checked in as the upper class check in was only 10 or so people back, the check in agent was surprisingly pleasant. One of the best we've had at Gatwick, normally they're not great, but she felt genuine. We timed it well when the systems had come up about 15 minutes prior to our arrival so we were seen within 15-20 minutes.

On up to security, the private security channel was quiet and straight through within a couple of minutes. On to the Clubhouse. It was the busiest i've ever seen it. As the systems went live at once, there was a surge of passengers to the clubhouse, but they managed it very well. The staff were extremely friendly as always and we enjoyed a relaxing stay here.

We proceeded to the gate on the first call, it was busy but boarding was immediately underway. Welcomed on board and settled in our seats. The crew member looking after our area was very nice and helpful. This couldn't be said for the rest of the crew. A real difference in the service. It felt like some of the crew working upper hadn't worked it for long or were new e.g. not knowing how to resolve a bed conversion issue that's pretty basic. More interested in hanging out in the galley and chatting.

As we started to taxi, there was clearly an issue. The captain explained there was a technical issue and an engineer would be along within 10 minutes. Issue was resolved within around 30 minutes and off we went. We weren't told what the issue was, but looking out the window, I think it was an issue with disconnecting the tug.

The flight itself was fine. I was trying to drift off by woken up by a couple of loud guys at the bar. To be expected, but what was frustrating was the fact that they were PE passengers at the bar. The crew had obviously let them there as they were talking to them, but I felt the level of noise was unacceptable. They were there a good few hours and prevented other passengers in the UC cabin from sitting there. A few of the UC passengers weren't impressed and I expect someone must have said something. This is the first time i've seen this happen and it was very frustrating, especially as they weren't just occupying the bar but making a lot of noise.

Lots of drunk passengers. A lady in PE came flying out of the toilet and hit her head, clearly quite drunk but the crew still served her. Economy had a pub feel to it, a few groups of lads standing around the galley areas drinking. A real eye opener to other flights I have been on.

We were really lucky to have such a nice crew member looking after us, she really made the service for us but I felt she was a lone voice amongst the rest of the crew in the area. Many of whom spent very little time in the cabin.

We landed and after a quick taxi got to the gate. It was really nice to use L1 to get off, much faster! An almost empty immigration hall, they only have 6 of the automated machines and it was definitely faster to queue for an agent that use the machines.

No priority luggage, I expect linked to the issues at LGW, but luggage collected and out to our car.

Overall, if it hadn't been for the 1 lovely crew member it would have been a poor flight. I hope the nice crew like this can keep it up, despite their colleagues and FSM not leading the way!
#921280 by MoJoJo
13 May 2016, 21:20
Thanks for the report. I had the same last month with non UC passengers hogging the bar albeit they were not loud. It's not on though particularly on the LGW 747 UC cabin when it's so noticeable
#921281 by buns
13 May 2016, 21:23
Thanks for the TR.

As you say, parties are to be expected on flights to Vegas, but hitherto crew levels have been such to control when necessary - only a matter of time that something goes pear shaped and VS having to re-think crew levels.

Thanks once again

buns