Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#921509 by spacedog
17 May 2016, 23:52
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This will be a little shorter than my last mammoth post! I'll do a write up of my connecting flight first.

JFK > ATL (VS 4827/DL 423)

On the morning of the 15th it was time to get up to head home. My flight wasn't until 1:35pm, so I had a fairly leisurely start. My room at the Sheraton had been very pleasant and spacious and was a really nice space to freshen up and repack my bag. At 9:50am I was downstairs in the lobby to wait for the courtesy shuttle to the airport. Like the Radisson, these run every thirty minutes, on the hour and at half past. There were two buses outside, but one was for the Hilton Garden Inn. We were eventually ushered into that one and set off a little late, just after 10:05. We were at the airport in no time. I was flying out of T4 and this time figured out where the priority line was for Delta (as my first flight was a Delta one). As you enter the terminal and see the Virgin desks, turn to the right and go to the far wall (it's actually very close) and there is a separate line for priority passengers for both Delta and Virgin customers. I was greeted by a very friendly Delta agent who liked my handbag and so we talked about that and fashion in general while she checked my documents and tagged my bags. I was then directed to the priority security line. The line was long for regular security, which caused a bit of a hold up for the priority line (much to the chagrin of the gentleman behind me), but all told it took 20 minutes to get through security. The staff were all pretty friendly.

I then made a beeline for the Delta Sky Club that I'd enjoyed so much on my outbound trip. There was plenty of space, so I set up in a different location to last time. I got a green tea and a slice of fruit and nut bread (really tasty), plus a couple of hard boiled eggs. They were just preparing for lunch when I arrived, so I caught them between offerings, but I wasn't super hungry so it was fine. It was interesting to overhear regular DL flyers commenting on how much they liked the new lounge; in particular they seem flabbergasted at the offerings of hot food dishes like chicken pasta etc. at the buffet. I had a couple more cups of tea and guiltily ate two cookies. Soon it was time to board, so I made my way to the gate. Boarding was reasonably on time. I'd booked a seat in the front row after my experience on the way out in the back row, but realised prior to boarding this would mean being separated from my bag and that it might get damaged in the overhead locker. So, I hid it tucked behind my coat/legs on the floor and it was never spotted by CC ;-)

The flight was very quick an unlike the flight on the way out, we weren't offered a "real" meal, just the same snacks as I got on the flight from JFK to ORD in Economy Comfort a couple of days preciously. CC were OK, but I was frequently ignored. The CC serving us seemed to only care to give drinks to certain people and I was overlooked twice, so eventually had to ask another member of CC for some water. It was really weird and I was glad when the flight was over as I was starting to get irritated. I was first off the plane...

On to the Virgin leg!

I walked all the way from my gate at terminal B to the international terminal (F) at ATL, as I was feeling rather guilty for being so sedentary for the last few days. It took about 20 minutes or so in total. I got a very warm greeting from the gentleman at the desk in the Sky Lounge, he seemed to be quite a character and was very jolly with everyone. It was packed in the lounge and I had to hunt for a seat. I ended up sitting across from an older couple who seemed not to be very happy with me sitting there as they proceeded to have a conversation about me in Spanish. My Spanish isn't great so it was hard to figure out exactly what their problem was, but in the end I decided my best course of action was to ignore them! They left for their flight after about 20 minutes, as did many other people, and the lounge emptied out. I had more green tea and a small portion of chickpea curry (not great) with some pitta bread. I also type up most of my mammoth TR to post!

Boarding time snuck up on me, so I left in a bit of a rush, although I needn't have as boarding started about 25 minutes late. I was second into UC and went for my seat, 9K. I had to pick 9K as it was the only A/K seat remaining when I booked. I know a lot of people don't like the UCDS, but it's OK for me as I'm not very tall. YMMV, but I did not enjoy 9K. It's right at the back, has no window and a wall behind it, so it feels a bit coffin-like and claustrophobic. Some may consider this private, but as there's always the possibility of noise from the bar, I feel like overall, this seat is a clunker. Also, when made up into a bed, it was a bit lumpy!

Once I'd settled in to my seat, I was immediately offered champagne by a very friendly member of CC. I was then greeted warmly by the FSM who said she knew I was AU and really appreciated my custom, and to let her know if there was anything she could help with. She was in the UC cabin throughout the flight, which I thought was interesting. I was offered more champagne (which I declined!) and then a further member of CC, who was admittedly a bit dour, came around offering first newspapers and then sleep suits. I didn't hear how many PAX were on board, but the UC cabin was really packed.

I didn't make a full note of the menu, but I had:

Red pepper and sweetcorn chowder (very tasty; I opted for this after reading a good review on here and am glad I did!)
Nicoise salad with searched tuna (the tuna was actually seared earlier and kept cold, so was very nice. The salad in general was really nice)
Melt in the middle chocolate orange sponge (great!)

I did note that on this overnight menu there was no light bites menu at all, just a note to say that snacks were available at the bar. Service took a little while to get going, but once it was under way it was all very efficient. As on my outbound flight, drinks were served on a trolley, whereas food was brought out individually. I kept the salt and pepper pots (with permission from CC and a recommendation to keep them in the paper bag in the seat pocket) as a friend of mine really wanted a set :)

The cabin got very busy immediately after the meal service, and so to speed things up I made up my own bed. All the CC worked really hard on this flight which had such a busy cabin. The FSM was absolutely charming and chatted to me a couple of times. I was definitely made to feel quite special. The girl working in CC who was the most engaging was absolutely lovely and we talked quite a bit during quieter periods. At the end of the flight I thanked her for all her hard work, as she really was super. The other member of cabin crew was efficient but humourless and never smiled once. I even overheard him getting angry with CC at one point because he couldn't find something. It didn't affect the service at all, though. I wanted for nothing and all drinks I requested were brought very quickly.

I tried to sleep but struggled as people kept bumping my feet as the walked past to use the loo throughout the night. I got maybe a couple of hours of sleep, and decided to reconvert my bed a couple of hours before landing. Our friendly member of CC appeared immediately to offer help, but I'm pretty self sufficient and had already finished! She then left me with a breakfast card to choose from. I opted for porridge, which was quite good but VERY sweet. It was brought to me very quickly. I do feel like the breakfast menu is a bit dull... wish they'd add some protein pancakes or something to the list (my current breakfast of choice). Breakfast was then cleared away swiftly and we all started to prepare for landing. Our coats were brought out and returned to us before we landed, which was quite unusual, as previously I've always had to wait until we land for this. I definitely prefer them being returned early as it makes getting ready a bit easier, and means CC don't have to battle their way through to get it to you.

We landed 40 minutes early and I was off the plane really quickly. Immigration was almost deserted and I was through in about five minutes! However, Delta's "priority baggage handling" had once again let me down, and I waited for about half an hour for my bag to be delivered. Oh well, a small complaint for an otherwise great flight.

Next month we're off to Beijing flying via HKG with VS :)
#921558 by tomthumb
18 May 2016, 18:47
So, I hid it tucked behind my coat/legs on the floor and it was never spotted by CC ;-)

Tut Tut Tut :-D

I kept the salt and pepper pots (with permission from CC and a recommendation to keep them in the paper bag in the seat pocket) as a friend of mine really wanted a set :)

I learnt long along that it never hurts to ask, and most of the time if your nice about it you shall be rewarded. :D

Great trip report but shame about the seat - as you say a clunker
#921570 by whiterose
18 May 2016, 21:43
Brilliant TR, was it on your phone again, if so I shall go into a decline through not being patient enough to do that. I have the Wilbur and Orville S & P and also two of the new(ish) mugs all (she says proudly) with permission from CC.

Thanks for taking the time to produce such good reading but do tell, what was/is the handbag?
#921665 by horburyflyer
21 May 2016, 14:04
Thanks Spacedog for a great TR.

I too like the Delta Sky Club at JFK T4. Ok it's not quite on the scale or has the vibe as the JFK CH which I really like but it's one of the better Sky Clubs and rightly so at a Delta hub.

it was good to read as I'm also on the DL423 in a couple of weeks so interesting to read your experience...joy of joys for another pass around of the Delta snack basket which I'm very tired of though do like the Chilli and lime corn if they had that!

Oh yes the dreaded 9K. I know others like it but I think you sit in it once and realise you won't again....I actually prefer 7K as I find it far enough away from the bar (though not too far) and close enough for the washrooms and when leaving through L2 which we do at ATL and MAN.

I love the deeper recline of the 'dream-suite' but agree in bed mode it isn't the most comfortable or practical but I know colleagues who love it!

Thanks again for sharing your experience and great feedback to the CC who seem to have looked after you very well.

Jon
#921779 by David1946
24 May 2016, 13:52
Thanks for a useful TR and your comments on the menu as we return on VS110 early next month. My wife is also very proud of her S&P sets (black & silver)and is carefully safeguarding her mug which she was presented with on our outbound trip. No doubt that will be proudly displayed at home as well.
#921783 by jfenney
24 May 2016, 16:06
Thanks so much for your TR Spacedog lots of information and glad the crew acknowledged you as a AU passenger.

You are a jets enter and off via Hong Kong to Beijing hope you have a great time I am having to wait until December before my next jaunt ;-(
Virgin Atlantic