Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#921667 by Bombardier
21 May 2016, 15:01
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Where do I start?
I would dearly love to post a trip report that paints what was my favorite airline as the greatest airline in the world, before this flight I would've been delighted to.
Indeed 14 days before this flight I spent a few hours in the greatest lounge in any airport I've ever flow from at Gatwick, the Clubhouse and it's staff were faultless (as always), I then had the pleasure of a flight on VS065 that was as always an absolute pleasure, an attentive FSM and cabin crew that ensured my flight was what we have come to expect from my favorite airline.
So here goes.
I travel this route twice a year and have done for many years, I always choose 8K on the way out and 8A on the way home, 8A on the way home as it was always the seat my wife (who sadly passed away) 2 years ago always chose, it was her favorite seat and always insisted we book early so we could be one of the first to request seats as soon as they were available.
I realise that no member of VS staff could possibly know why I choose this seat and I've flown enough times over the years to know that a seat "request" is just that a "request" but I've pondered over the past few days as to whether I should post a trip report detailing the atrocious way the FSM on the flight treated me and although I've calmed down some what since returning home and had an apology from VS I've decided to post it anyway.
I entered the cabin and took my seat 8A, after a short while as the cabin filled the FSM entered before introducing herself asked a family of 4 that were seated in 7K,8K, 10K and 11K if they would like to all sit together, she then "asked" the man in 9K if he would mind moving to 7K and allowing the family to take 4 seats next to each other, he quite rightly informed her that he had selected his seat as his wife was opposite him in 9A and would prefer to stay where he was.
The lady of the family of 4 said at this point that they were happy in the seats that they were currently sat in, but the FSM who appeared to be on some sort of crusade to stamp her authority then rudely pointed at me and said "are you traveling alone sir?" to which I replied yes, she then instructed (not requested) that I move to 7K, the man in 9K move into my seat 8A and the family of 4 would take up 8,9,10 and 11K.
I did move to 7K and as I sat down I told the FSM the reason that I always choose 8A , the rest of the cabin heard me and it was my fellow passengers that insisted I return to my chosen seat, the FSM left the cabin and as far as I am aware never returned, I can only assume through embarrassment, if she did return she certainly never came anywhere near me.
Later in the flight a member of the cabin crew who had witnessed the whole episode apologised for the way I had been (mis)treated.
I won't post all of the apology I've received from VS but I will quote part of it "In an effort to assist our passengers with their seating arrangements, the crew will sometimes ask passengers if they would be happy to swap. However, they shouldn’t put pressure on anyone to move from their allocate seat.
I was most concerned to read about the way that you were treated by the flight service manager. This really was most unacceptable and we would never want our valued customers to feel this way and I cannot apologise enough for the way this was handled."
I accept the apology from VS but it has left an extremely sour taste in my mouth and I will take time out to decide whether I choose a different airline.
I'm sorry I couldn't have posted a better review, I'll take some time out to consider where to go next as far as flying goes.
#921669 by tomthumb
21 May 2016, 15:39
Wow - it is amazing what one person can do to ruin a company reputation just by some thoughtless actions.
Really lost for words here as it should never have happened.
#921676 by marshy11
21 May 2016, 17:34
It is one thing requesting a seat, quite another being allocated it. I feel for you and for the other pax, including the family who didn't want to move seats. It makes for an uncomfortable situation for all of you.

Don't let that one person taint your memories of the trip or the memories of past journeys with your wife.
#921690 by whiterose
21 May 2016, 23:06
I am so sad to read this. A good reputation takes years to build up and a few thoughtless and heedless seconds to destroy. Your trust in VS has been so stupidly demolished. This behaviour is appalling and so out of step with what one hopes they aim to achieve.

I too hope very much that you can major on the lovely happy memories of flights and holidays with your wife.
#921691 by honey lamb
21 May 2016, 23:50
Oh dear! Not only did The FSM upset you but she also upset other passengers in the cabin as they, on hearing of your reasons for choosing that seat, wanted you to retain it - obviously not to the extent that you felt. And in a cabin with 14 seats, it really wasn't an issue as everyone is in close proximity to the others. The sad thing is, that unless you have known such loss, you don't realise how important these seemingly little things are to people - and they are.

When you are a lone traveller (as I am) people don't know or even think about the story behind your reason for travel or the history behind it. It is very easy to pick on you for reasons to move and take it for granted that you will. I have been asked to move to accommodate families and have done so if the seat offered is as good as or better than the one requested. On one occasion on BA they tried to force me to move to another seat which I had paid for in advance and when I refused, tried to strong-arm me into moving. It was only when I said I had paid to select the seat and demanded an immediate refund that they backed down!

I just hope that one person's lack of sensitivity will not turn you away from an airline which has been good to you in the past.
#921701 by Bombardier
22 May 2016, 10:39
Thank you all for your kind words.
As honey lamb rightly points out the vast majority of travelers don't give a second thought to why someone chooses to travel alone or why, to be fair though why should they?
It wasn't a good flight, it was indeed the quietest flight I've ever taken, nobody spoke to each other and certainly not to me, they probably thought it better to leave me alone as they weren't sure what to say.
I hope the FSM has taken something from this flight, I assume from the wording of the reply I had from VS that they had already asked her for her thoughts on the incident and perhaps some retraining may be beneficial to her.
Will I use VS again, of course I will they were my wifes favorite airline and still are mine despite one bad flight, I have memories of many outstanding flights with them.
#921710 by jfenney
22 May 2016, 12:10
So sad to hear about your experience and glad VS acknowledged.your complaint Although many a family member want to sit together it's hardly a big cabin to be away from each other.

Hope this will not deter you away from some wonderful staff certainly I have met and work tirelessly to uphold the values and what makes us fly VS :-D . Keep in touch Ubqiue.
#921740 by pjh
23 May 2016, 11:43
Bombardier wrote:I hope the FSM has taken something from this flight, I assume from the wording of the reply I had from VS that they had already asked her for her thoughts on the incident and perhaps some retraining may be beneficial to her.

I hope so. It was clearly very upsetting for you.
Virgin Atlantic