Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922000 by David
28 May 2016, 23:48
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Sitting here in the Hilton GV on I drive or Tuscany Village as its now called and having a wee think about the flight today.

I have come to the conclusion that most of what will be written next was tempered by the fact I was extremely tired and probably a little worn out before this trip.

The point being proved by the fact that even departure day - 1 felt like just another day at the coal face. The last 5 months of work has been incredibly tough so read the next few paragraphs with that thought in mind.

The end of May trip has become a bit of an annual pilgrimage to Orlando, more so before what's always a very busy summer, but also to take in the now legendary Memorial Day sales.

For the third trip in a row, I've now managed to secure G's with this one ex GLA and coming back via JFK / LHR then back up to Scotland.

Glasgow flights have always been 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 in the past.

A quick, but early run up from the Borders got us into Glasgow around quarter past seven for what was supposed to be a nine forty five departure, but was to end up around eleven

Check in was very quick and was told to proceed through the priority security channel and then onto the SkyLounge. The lounge is ok with quite a nice view of the gates and runway but even after a recent remodel, it's still more servisair than No1 kinda level.

With not much going on, it was decided to decamp to the gate which in hindsight was probably a bad idea. There's even less in that area than the lounge.

Anyway, boarding commenced. Welcome by name at the door, signs of a good start maybe ? And a glass of Gardet offered, which was actually quite refreshing.

Now seat 11K.

It's seen better days.

The seat itself looks ok but there is absolutely no padding whatsoever in either the back or the base. It really has been well and truly sat in.

However, a few cushions helped. A little.

Onto the meal, and I've got to say, in the last half dozen flights, the food has been really, really good.

This one, not so.

I had the Carrot and coriander soup. Usually virgins soup is really nice and does help line the stomach. This one was absolutely tasteless.

I let the crew decide on my main, whatever was spare between the steak and the chicken was fine and I felt after the Atlanta flight in Sept last year where I got a pile of miles for changing my main when they had run out ( and would infact have changed it for nothing) this would maybe be a little karma back.

The steak arrived and it was really nice

Passed on the desert and went straight to the cheese and the biscuits but even those disappointed when only 2 of the already small bundle of grapes where edable, the others being fit only really for the bucket.

Coffee was good and I noticed all were served in mugs althought they did try and put them on the saucers ??

The crew were fine ( not great, but fine ) but never seen the FSM. Don't even know if they were male or female.

Tried to watch a few films but ended up missing most of them by dozing through every single middle of them and it was soon time for afternoon tea

Had the burger, very nice and another cup, sorry mug, of tea which was well received and soon it was time to start the decent into a very warm Orlando.

Quickly through immigration, on to Hertz for the first time ( and usually a dollar guy ) and into the Hilton around 3pm so not too bad.

As I said, I was very tired (physically) before the flight so that has definitely effected my thoughts but, it was probably no more than a 6 out of 10 - could do better.

On the plus side, the weather here is beautiful, at a glance the sales look ok and I have 8 books loaded onto the kindle.

All will be well in the world in a few days.

Thanks for reading

David
#922001 by hiljil
29 May 2016, 02:37
So sorry that the flight didn't excite ! Hopefully, when you have rested in the sun ( oh how envious I am ) and made some purchases , you will be able to relish a good flight back to the UK. Except of course, flying home after a holiday is always a bitter sweet occasion .

:cool:
#922004 by buns
29 May 2016, 05:59
David

You have got to be up there with the fastest posted TR on V Flyer :-D Thanks for the read this morning!

I know where you are coming from - sometimes when a flight is just like "painting by numbers" you feel short changed, yet you have got precisely what it says on the tin. I do have to think that the recent crew changes are having an impact on service and the consistency issue is becoming more and more something VS has to address.

The Hilton GV is our favourite place, so know you will enjoy Premium Outlets and should you visit the bar at the Hotel in the evening, please give our regards to Mason ;-)

Enjoy the sun, shopping and relaxation in Florida.

buns
#922009 by iforres1
29 May 2016, 08:33
Enjoy the break mate and at least the flight got you there safely. Apart from the seat being "tired" it reads like an ok flight. Enjoy the sun and spend all your money.

Iain
#922022 by horburyflyer
29 May 2016, 12:45
A super quick posting! Sorry to hear the flight didn't really excite. The reduction in numbers does appear to be impacting the customer experience and though the FSM on the 744s does have to work primarily elsewhere, surely they should still make their presence known and come and say hello and highlight who'll be looking you on the flight etc..

Enjoy the rest, the sunshine and those sales. Have fun.

Jon
#922039 by tomthumb
29 May 2016, 19:15
Thanks for the TR and have a great break recharging those batteries
Virgin Atlantic