Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922318 by LucyLu
03 Jun 2016, 10:39
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
UC Reward flight back home after a PE (EC->PE upgrade voucher) flight out and a wonderful 3 weeks in the sunshine....

We arrived at the airport just before 3pm for the 5:15pm flight. Checkin was smooth and UC was full, and I heard them offering to bump the passengers at the PE desk next to me, so I guess PE was overbooked.

No major delays at security (to be expected now it is not high season and no cruise passengers) and after a bit of shopping we went to the lounge. It certainly isn't a CH but there is food (nothing to write home about and no rotis) and a good selection of drinks (no fizz). A family with 3 young children came in the lounge and disturbed the peace and quiet, but they soon found the kids section and let the rest of us in peace (although you could still hear them). By the time our flight was called there were still quite a few people at the gate but we went through the priority lane with only a short queue, and onto the aircraft.

As the family with 3 young kids boarded in UC I felt myself inwardly groan, but they were actually very quiet once they had got their iPads out and remained that way for the whole flight. However, the single 2-year old with her parents in 1H had different ideas. She screamed and cried and screamed and cried for the whole flight. Despite my noise cancelling headphones she still disturbed any sleep - this is a first! Needless to say I saw her by the baggage collection belt at LGW and she was sitting there happily playing, so at least she wasn't ill.

Fizz provided and dinner/breakfast/drinks orders taken pretty efficiently after boarding. We were held on the ground and were 45 mins late taking off due to water/fuel checks during which time we didn't get another drink, which was a shame.

Finally in the air and the service was fine. I'm not sure why but the crew member serving me seemed to have something against me - she walked past me when she could see I was struggling to convert my bed (another passenger assisted me in the end), ignored me at breakfast time so I was the last served and then didn't deliver what I had ordered. I was so tired by this point I couldn't be bothered to raise it.

Overall the food was very good. I had miso salmon to start which was delicious, followed by vegetarian cannelloni and cheese and biscuits. I stuck to vegetarian breakfast - scrambled eggs, mushrooms, tomato and potato rosti. It was all pretty good apart from the potato which was soggy, but good considering it was served on a plane!

We arrived later than scheduled at Gatwick, about 25-30 mins late, but the bags started to come out shortly after we got to the carousel. Two of our bags came out fairly quickly with the other UC bags but the last one got held up and took ages. When it did arrive it had lost its UC tag, so not sure f that was the reason why.

Taxi located in the car park and we were back home by about 8:30am. My plan to get on with the full day went to pot after lack of sleep so we had a couple of hours kip then I started to attack the washing mountain and try and get my head around the fact that the next day was back to work (ugh!).
#922346 by marshy11
03 Jun 2016, 20:23
This is a route we do often, thank you for posting. I know that feeling when you see little people in the lounge and then in the same cabin. Such a shame the noise was invasive.

Poor crew to make you feel like that too. Hope your next flight is much better.
#922544 by tomthumb
08 Jun 2016, 19:51
Thanks for the TR - can't believe it was just over 5 weeks since I did that same trip - where does the time go ....
#922622 by LucyLu
10 Jun 2016, 12:57
I've been back nearly two weeks now and it feels more like 2 months! I need to get organised and sort out the next trip, but my To Do list has just gone mad at the moment, everything seems to be breaking down/needs renewing etc all at once
#922625 by LucyLu
10 Jun 2016, 14:16
I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't go at least once a year!

We looked at a place that we are considering buying, which would be fantastic, but I'd just have to give up work so I could go out there more.
If only I had bought somewhere when I went out there originally (1989) I would have saved a fortune on hotels over the years!
Virgin Atlantic