Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922550 by horburyflyer
08 Jun 2016, 21:23
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
....arriving into the F concourse from the planetrain was seamless. I do find Atlanta so easy to transit through (despite my Memorial weekend experience)..

I was welcomed by name and found a seat across from the bar which is quite rare. I enjoyed a couple of sweetwater 420s which I really like and picked at some items from the buffet which included the usual spread of cookies, fruit, veggies, salads, breads and dressings. The hot dishes included Chicken breast, pasta and two types of soup.

I left the Skyclub at around 1800 to head across to F2. Boarding was suppose to be underway but had been delayed until 1825. I think the CC were late reaching the aircraft.

Cash Upgrades were offered at the gate with few takers...I tried to overhear the prices but couldn't, though some people did go up to the desk, only to return after politely declining.

Boarding was underway at 1830 with UC called first. I was welcomed at the door and walked passed a crew member who didn't acknowledge anyone. I had the awful feeling he was looking after my side of the cabin and thought the worst.

Champagne was quickly offered and refilled too. The amenity kit and menu were already on the ottoman and a new menu selection at that too. A water bottle was there too.

Newspapers and sleep suits were offered. The FSM came along to welcome me by name and introduce himself and told me to ask for anything I needed.

So with everyone on board. It was full in Y and W and we had 22 in UC. A flight time of 7hrs56mins was promised on board Lady Love.

We left the stand at 1906 and were airborne at 1918 after a short taxi saying cheerio to a Lufthansa Cargo 777 as we thundered down the runway for a long take-off run.

Hot towels were quickly offered. Drinks and crisps followed and refills were proactively offered. The CC member who I had passed on the way in was actually really good. He was professional friendly and attentive. I didn't need to worry at all. He was working along side 4 other CC members in UC (which included the FSM) who was leading the service.

Tables were laid for dinner about one hour in. The FSM had really struggled to get the IFE working so after a couple of reboots it finally started to cooperate. That said we were also on a Wifi enabled aircraft which pleased the several DL elites who wanted to watch a basketball game but couldn't as the streaming was a tad slow.... ;-)

So to the menu. The menu was launched on 1st June and the following is valid for VS008, 024, 020, 042, 044, 952, 086, 104, 116, 110 & 164.

Summer vegetable broth
Seafood Cerviche - Shrimps and scallops with roasted corn and jicama.
Strawberry and mozzarella salad
Beef fillet -Green beans, carrots and mashed potato with a spiced chimichurri sauce
Tropical chicken and quinoa - mango and pineapple salsa
Salmon fillet - squid ink fettuccini and broccoli
Cobb salad - roasted coconut, blue cheese and egg
Pecan Pie
Chocolate chip cheesecake
Cheese and port

I enjoyed the Strawberry and Mozzarella salad (though this was served with a lemon olive oil and not balsamic glaze as advertised, no big deal. It was also very small which the CC said they had noticed and made a note of too. It also came with toasted almonds which wasn't mentioned either..)

The Beef fillet was tasty and quite large though a little too spicy for me on an evening flight but I just didn't fancy any of the other options.

The chocolate chip chessecake was excellent. Nothing else to be said.

image.jpg
image.jpg (369.69 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (363.04 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (269.49 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

The new cocktail list includes: Raspberry Mojito, Pink Sparkler, Sapphire South side, Appleberry Julep and Cuban cooler.

I finished things off with a hot chocolate which came with shortbread biscuits. The cheese trolley wasn't brought around though I did see a few cheese plates making their way around the cabin. I watched a little of the entertainment and finally settled down.

With the lights out (and the bar closed) the CC also made up 5 beds for CC members too and we all settled down. When I woke up and used the washroom a CC was quickly there asking if I needed anything.

Breakfast options were served an hour out of Manchester. The usual offerings - fruit, bacon rolls and a full English were on offer with Peach Crepes as a seasonal option. I enjoyed bacon, sausage and scrambled eggs which was delicious.

Tea, coffee and juice were offered and refilled. We were promised an ontime arrival into MAN approaching over the beautiful Cheshire countryside landing on 05R. We had some wonderful views of the North Wales coast and Liverpool. We then took up the 'Mersey' hold for 15mins as MAN was very busy.

It was interesting to see other aircraft below us in the stack too. Remember the Lufthansa Cargo 777 at Atlanta....well he was in the hold too and had clearly overtaken us in the night and landed just ahead of us.

We touched down at 0820 on 05R and reached the gate around 10mins later as we had to wait to cross 05L and then taxi across to T2. We reached stand 208 and after a quick goodbye to the CC I was quickly off and using the automatic passport machines without any delay.

I had a train at 0906 and wondered if I would make it....the bag was through in super fast time and I raced across to the railway station making the 0906 train home to West Yorkshire.

After some initial reservations the CC were very good. Not as engaging as the way out as they were exceptional but they were friendly, attentive and did everything they should. I left feeling quite refreshed and ready to go.

The new menu was interesting and welcome. I'm thrilled VS are expanding out of MAN and it's clear the Atlanta flights are doing rather well.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
Last edited by horburyflyer on 11 Jun 2016, 20:53, edited 2 times in total.
#922597 by whiterose
09 Jun 2016, 22:05
Thanks Jon, always enjoy your TRs, interesting and informative. This one was amusing too, is there a shortage of restrooms at ATL? ;-)

horburyflyer wrote:....

I left the Skyclub at around 1800 to head across to F2. Boarding was suppose to be underway but had been delayed until 1825. I think the CC wee late reaching the aircraft.

Jon
#922667 by horburyflyer
11 Jun 2016, 20:54
whiterose wrote:Thanks Jon, always enjoy your TRs, interesting and informative. This one was amusing too, is there a shortage of restrooms at ATL? ;-)

horburyflyer wrote:....

I left the Skyclub at around 1800 to head across to F2. Boarding was suppose to be underway but had been delayed until 1825. I think the CC wee late reaching the aircraft.

Jon

:blush: Thank you!
#922683 by Maximus
12 Jun 2016, 08:27
Thank you for the great TR.

I have to say the menu does not inspire me, though the food in your pictures looks well presented, it's just not to my taste with scallops, spiced steak, squid ink (black food rarely looks appetising) and coconut and blue cheese salad (ewwwww). It would be soup and 2 puddings for me, and I am not usually that fussy!

Hopefully the menu will change again by September.
#922945 by hiljil
19 Jun 2016, 08:39
Thank you fir a most enjoyable TR. You made the food look very appetising.
Virgin Atlantic