Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922579 by mdhayes
09 Jun 2016, 16:31
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hi,

First TR so here it goes.

Firs time flaying UC having only previously flow BA CW and AA business class. SO after being a long time stalker of this forum I was well informed as to what to expect generally but I know everyone has their own opinions. We stayed overnight in the mariott courtyard as there was a really good park and stay deal on there plus we've stayed before and the walk to the terminal isn't that bad an nothing like the 10-15 minutes they try and say when pushing the bus transport. Annoyingly the flight we were on was brought forward after we had booked it and all I could think of was time taken away from the CH. So I was up extra early on the day of the flight to squeeze as much CH time in as possible. My OH wasn't so thrilled when my alarm went off at 5.30am but I jumped out of bed very excited.

Check in was a breeze and priority security stickers placed on our boarding card as standard. The reason I specifically mention this as when we got up stairs there was an announcement that security wait time was 1-1 1/2 hours, it was utter chaos. Whilst trying not to be smug I dragged my OH past the very long line (with lots of children as it was half term) and straight to the front of premium security channel, this almost felt like we'd got value for money on our UC ticket just by jumping that queue. Through security and straight into the clubhouse, where some grumpy gentleman was arguing with the staff to be allowed access stating he has access to the virgin money lounges and he was sure it mentioned he was allowed in the CH. The ladies on the front desk were very patient with him and he was politely turned away. We were shown around the CH as it was our first time and initially sat at the tables for breakfast. I had eggs benedict and the OH a full english, which were both lovely if a little small on the portions (oh well you can just order more I thought). We moved over to the comfy seating area and ordered a redhead and a bellini again both were great. After these more food was ordered, some fruit and a chocolate waffle to share. Followed by a couple of glasses of lanson.

We didn't go on the first call and when we got down we had missed the premium/UC call so loaded behind the EC passengers which was fine. We were welcomed on board by a CC called K, she was lovely and the highlight of a mixed experienced flight. Champagne was offered and of course accepted and as we were missed a UC passenger (who had checked in and boarded but couldn't be found) we were all offered refills while the search took place. Turns out she was upstairs in PE talking to friends. Once this little mystery was solved someone was bumped up to UC who's wife was already there. Not sure if they paid on the spot, they were offering it for £1.3k when I walked through PE. Onto the start of our issues, there were 2 pax in UC who were extremely loud using not particularly nice language, I really had to stop my self saying something based upon how rude they were to the crew (more to come on these 2 later) loud and cheerful I can understand, especially being a vegas flight, but these were people that weren't very pleasant to be around this did make me wary for the upcoming 10 hours.

drinks were offered and accepted (a lovely G and T) and food orders taken, Im guessing everyone has seen the food menu but in short I had the parma ham and asparagus (lovely) followed by the chicken (best meal i've had on a flight) and cheese and biscuits. OH had same starter but went for the beef (against my advice) but said it was nice.

The cabin at this time was pretty quiet during food service and for a couple of hours after as the people across from us were having a snooze. I was praying they'd sleep the rest of the flight, oh how I was wrong!

They woke up a few hours into the flight and started drinking excessively, I know i'd had a few by this point but i was just watching a film and chilling out. Next thing they bought there friends up from PE and continued to drink, they also were helping themselves to the drinks behind the bar and at one point pouring drinks directly into their mouths from the bottles. This went out for a good hour with the CC saying nothing at all, they were mainly just gossiping in the galley. and K was no where to be seen (i'm guessing on crew rest). I could see lots of the UC pax looking at them and after being nagged by my OH i went to speak to the FSM. He was lovely about it and seemed shocked that there were extra people in UC, I'm sorry but there are only 14 people in UC its pretty obvious when extra people are there. As i'd just gone to tell the crew and them then coming out to ask them to leave it was very obvious that i'd complained making the rest of the flight very uncomfortable with them glaring at me across the cabin.

Once the extra people were removed the cabin did quiet down again and despite the stares I continued to watch my film. We ordered the tasting platter which was really nice and towards the end of the flight we had afternoon tea while I was sat on my OH ottoman. Afternoon tea was just ok, sandwiches weren't the best but the cakes were nice. Also as I have my tea black you could really yell it was over brewed but i know thats an issue with pre-brewed drinks on a fight.

Disembarking was quick and into an empty immigration hall. It was a little awkward at the desk as the immigration offer was asking us if we were brothers even after I said we were married (awks) oh well that was fine. Then straight into a cab and onto the hotel. We were soon by the pool sunning ourselves in the very hot desert sun.

I've sent my complaint/comments to virgin, not sure what they'll say though. I really don't think it should have been up to me to say something about the visitors, I don't even think this was due to lower staffing levels as there was always 2-3 crew just sitting in the galley.

Sorry for the long report.

The return was in EC so I won't bore you with it. Basically, food ok, seat ok, got home safe.
#922586 by Hoppy
09 Jun 2016, 19:23
Sorry to her about your experience, a trip in Upper shouldn't have these issues, especially with interlopers from PE.

This really does seem to be a recurring theme that the Upper class cabin is left to its own devices for long periods. I wonder is this due to the recent staff cutbacks or just a general apathy towards customers?

I'm hoping our trip in Upper to Vegas next week is significantly better.
#922591 by ScoobySu
09 Jun 2016, 20:39
Thanks for your trip report. I totally agree that the CC should have been on top of the interlopers. Such a shame that your first UC experience was spoiled.
Virgin Atlantic