Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922674 by King of the Skies
12 Jun 2016, 01:00
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was written as I went along but only now having chance to post it whilst sat in the SFO Clubhouse waiting for my return journey... After an amazing week (but that's for another TR!). So, here we go... :cool:

So I thought a 'live' trip report might be interesting to have a go at. Writing it as we go along, so to speak, to hopefully capture some of the excitement and - hopefully - greatness of the trip.

So we start upon arrival at LHR from DUB (this being part of my first ex-EU trip - thanks for the tips) and navigating transfer from T5 to T3. It all went smoothly until arrival at T3 transfer security. You would think that the people at flight transfers (having clearly come from elsewhere) would know how to do security, wouldn't you dear reader? Apparently not, much to the frustration of the security staff (and me!) it taking about 25 minutes to get through 'fast track' security. That's one less Virgin Redhead, I tell you, do these people not know the delights of said cocktail?!

Quick trip via the transfer desk to get a proper Virgin boarding card (no British Airways card for me for a Virgin flight, thank you!) and check my bags were in their system (they were) and then via the shops to pick up reading material and some duty free delights. It's almost the law at an airport! Then, the piece de resistance: my long awaited return to the Clubhouse! It never disappoints. The lovely lady on reception apologised for keeping me waiting for a minute and was the epitome of loveliness. Head massage booked, Virgin Redhead ordered, obligatory wave from the Clubhouse posted, the holiday was here. Nothing seems too much trouble for the wonderful Clubhouse staff (I told them as much as well!) with drinks regularly refilled with such wonderful smiles and attitudes. The Clubhouse - as we all know - is a fantastic thing that raises Virgin well above its competitors - long may it continue. A sneaky mojito, trip to the showers (wonderful - clean, powerful and really gets you reinvigorated for a flight) and then time for the head massage.

Oh. My. Gosh. I write this in somewhat of a zen like state. The head massage was amazing. Some jokes with the lady about my propensity to drool when having a massage and then an amazingly relaxing massage. Really prepares you for a long flight. You can feel the muscles just relax. Amazing.

Wandering in this state to the lunch area, the next item on the agenda was indeed lunch. And the fantastic experience continues with a wonderful member of staff (doing a 0930 - 2230 shift to help her colleagues - ouch!) being fantastically friendly and doing everything to make it a great experience. Cheese on toast followed by... Guess what? Yes, the true V-flyer tradition continues with the infamous clubhouse burger, with mighty fine chips. Accompanied by grape juice. Of course. Again, really good to have this quasi- restaurant quality facility available. Brief retirement to The Lodge, which I have to myself, with the light streaming through the skylights. I could genuinely spend a week on holiday here and it would be a good trip!

Wandered down to the gate just before boarding commenced for the mandatory (for me!) secondary search at the gate. Good timing, it would seem as no sooner had my search been completed, it was time to board, so straight onto the jetway, picking up water en route. Lukewarm reception at the door, it's fair to say. However, pre flight sparkles promptly arrived. That said, the other side of the cabin were regularly offered refills. My side of the cabin was not. Which I was somewhat disappointed by (not that I like sparkles, oh no definitely not!). Inconsistency across a flight is not good. Particularly when so obvious. Although frankly if a glass of something sparkling makes or breaks it then that's more of a reflection on the reviewer, so an open mind continued.

First time in a Dreamliner - what were my thoughts, I hear you ask? First impressions were very good - spacious, high ceiling, great lighting, nice spacious feeling seat as large windows. Classy. The seats also move almost imperceptibly.

Excitingly, I was on the newest lady in the fleet: West End Girl. 185 passengers, 10 cabin crew and 4 pilots on board (as it turned out from meeting the crew at parkrun in SF 2 days later, one of whom was new to Virgin from Norwegian and in training) for our 10 hours 3 minutes flight to SFO. Pushback a few minutes after 1540, with take off about 30 minutes thereafter from runway 09R.

Shortly after takeoff, the service commenced with the drinks run with accompanying crisps. It's a shame to say that the lady working in my aisle did not seem particularly interested or excited. Nor did the FSM - more interested in tidying than in helping. The menu doesn't reflect what they have on board (particularly in terms of drinks) but it meant I ended up with a particularly tasty elderflower drink which wasn't on the menu but which was excellent. There seemed to be pressure to get things done quickly (due to the recent changes perhaps?) - orders for dinner were taken within 30 minutes of take off.

The menu was:

Starters
Marinated prawns with avruga caviar
Classic Nicose salad
Italian tomato and basil soup

Warm breads

Mains

Roast chicken and gnocchi
Fillet of beef and sweet potato mash
Roasted sweet pepper
Kiln roasted smoked salmon salad

Pudding

Lemon curd sponge pudding
Strawberry cream pannacotta slice

Cheese and port

I went for the prawns followed by chicken with the lemon sponge pudding (and port) to conclude. The prawns were really tasty. Great sauce with them, mightily fine. The chicken and gnocchi were both individually, good but as a whole the dish was very dry and it could have done with some kind of sauce with it. The dessert was excellent. As was the port (I'm sounding somewhat like an alcoholic at this point!). The crew were fine but it seemed like they were going through the motions rather than anything particularly special.

It turns out that at this point I was quite tired and missed most of the second film through snoozing. By snoozing I actually mean sleeping of course. By the time I woke, the cabin lights were down and it was officially 'night'. A brief wander to the bar, but a couple were engaged in conversation and efforts to chat were not reciprocated so I retired back to my seat to restart the film. With another elderflower cocktail in hand; it would have been rude not to!

A couple of hours before landing, we were offered bites from the graze menu and I fully indulged in a spot of afternoon/breakfast/evening tea - delicious as I remembered. However, from people I met whilst on my travels, it seems that economy and premium had a number of extra services: a pasty run, ice cream as well as the final sandwich before landing. You would have thought that Upper Class deserved as much crew time as others, but evidently not. It's quite disappointing I have to say. :-O

Landed just before 1820 local time and straight through immigration; with great credit to the airport, the bags were already arriving by the time I got through - so within 10 minutes. Through onto the BART station within 25 minutes of landing. Very impressed! :-D

Overall, I would say a great Clubhouse experience but the flight was mediocre. Nothing particularly wrong with it, it has to be said, but nothing particularly sparkling or memorable. Now very excited about my holidaying! :D
#922675 by hazban
12 Jun 2016, 01:54
Great and interesting report and observations on Virgin.
Have to agree with your comments on the Clubhouse, it is a jewel in their crown and differentiates it from many competitors. I was there a couple of days ago after an absence of two years, unfortunately like you my redhead consumption was curtailed for reasons outside my control.
Same menu offered on the flight to Washington, but my first choice of the chicken had run out. Perhaps because I had dropped from Gold to Red or the fact I was on a reward ticket they asked me to choose an alternative. Not really a problem. Have to say that the crew were extremely good, led by a very active and personable manager. Like you first impressions were poor with absolutely no greeting at the door, but they redeemed themselves mightily shortly afterwards!
Have a good flight home and hope you are treated like royalty.
#922676 by buns
12 Jun 2016, 05:36
Thanks for the amusing TR.

What shines through is your level of anticipation to once again savour all that is good with VS and that the visit to the Clubhouse did not disappoint ;-)

Shame then that the FSM on the flight was not able to be one of the 10% of FSMs who transform a flight experience into one that meets the jewel in the crown Clubhouse experience.

Thanks for wetting my appetite to book at least a weekend away soon

buns
#922682 by horburyflyer
12 Jun 2016, 07:51
Many thanks for the TR.

Agree with everything you have said about the Clubhouse - it really is a benchmark. I'm back in the Clubhouse this week so your TR is suitably time ;-)

Shame the FSM experience didn't come through as it should and that consistency was a factor on the flight. Looking forward to hearing about your journey home and really hoping it was all bells and whistles.

Please do share your feedback with VS. I know they are currently having frequent 'top-level' reviews of all feedback following the changes to crew levels and service delivery across all cabins so it would be worth sharing your experience with them too.

Jon