Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922711 by David
12 Jun 2016, 20:59
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
My last trip report DL MCO up to JFK ended up in the Clubhouse where all of a sudden the cloak of invisibility had landed on me.

At one point, I even though about sticking my foot out to trip someone up to try and get some attention (joke :blush: ) but eventually all was well and while sitting watching the planes arrive, realised that we'd been upgraded to an A340-600 VBug.

There was a slight delay in leaving, we were waiting on transferring passengers who eventually didn't arrive but unfortunately their bags had so had to be offloaded. This of course required new paperwork etc etc, then it felt like we were driving to Heathrow as we seems to shudder and pause and judder along till we were eventually number one for take off.

The plane change had caused a bit of musical chairs - it still amazes me how a computer can assign two or even three people to the same seat. The staff, who were at their "legal minimum of ten" did there best to sort out the issues that probably weren't helped by one guy in particular trying to shuffle seated people about instead of taking his party and sitting at the bar as he had been asked to do while everybody else boarded.

There were around 220 onboard so not too bad although we were asked to have a little patience due to the short staff numbers.

The menu which I can't seem to find at the moment seemed pretty poor. One starter, I think 2 or maybe 3 mains and a dessert. I just had the salmon for the main which was a bit dry and a lovely, very hot mug of tea and then beded down for the night.

The IFE had been started while we were waiting for the non appearing passengers and I took the opportunity to watch the new Dads Army film. A great fan of the originals and although this one wasn't too bad (it certainly wasn't great) it lacked a lot of the humour of the classics.

The IFE on the 600's is beginning to show its age when you are used to touch screen and slightly higher def pictures which is why I marked it down. It's amazing how many times you still touch the screen even though you know it's not touch screen.

At six and a bit hours, it really is a quick flight especially with a huge tail wind and by the time you've eaten, bedded down and then woken for breakfast and landing, you've really only got time for 3 or 4 hours max sleep.

Into Heathrow without too many circles and a quick visit to the extremely worth while and very much needed revivals and to pick up on the tragedy that was unfolding in the city that I had just left that morning.

The debate about guns in America is certainly not for this forum !

After a wonderful breakfast and a quick trip on the Heathrow Express it certainly wasn't a quick check in at T5 and with BA, back upto Glasgow.

All in all, about a 7.5 to 8 - good considering the short staff and very quick flight.

Next up back to Orlando in September and just maybe a wee extra long weekend in Dubai before that.

Thanks for reading

David.
#922730 by SlimpyJones
13 Jun 2016, 11:37
Glad all was well in the end David. I've sometimes found service can be a little slow in the JFK clubhouse (less so in the morning than the evening), but it's usually offset by the food and drinks being exceptional when they arrive!
Was VBUG one of the refurbed A346s? :)
#922750 by horburyflyer
13 Jun 2016, 19:59
Thanks David, I wondered how you would get along.

I have a A346 flight this week (one way) and a 789 the other so it will be chalk and cheese really. My last couple of A346s flights have been a real let down due to the failure of the IFE and on one of them a really poor crew, I have high hopes for this week!

You're right about these quick east Coast trips back to the UK. Sleep is really a premium.

Happy booking your next trip...

Jon
#922938 by David
18 Jun 2016, 20:28
Slimpyjones

Yes I think she had been refurbed. Cloth panel on the left of the seat, but still chips and gouges in places.

Jon

The IFE is really getting past its best, non touch screen, fuzzy picture and a little temperamental, although I'm guessing they were great when new, but the refurbed 747's and the new Dreamliners are so much better.

Strangely enough, I've just realised we flew out on Ladybird and flew home on Lady Bird :-D

Roll on the next one. I just wish VS would give us a little clue when they silently match BA's sale prices.

David
#922944 by hiljil
19 Jun 2016, 08:36
Thank you for the TR. Overall it sounded a not too bad flight . Good luck with managing to get a bargain in a VS sale.
Virgin Atlantic