Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#922978 by horburyflyer
20 Jun 2016, 16:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
I arrived at Heathrow from Wimbledon at just before 5pm. I struggled to find the UC check in desk. Well I found where it was on my last flight out of LHR a few weeks before, but they were switching over the screens so I ended up getting checked in at support desk with an an apology for the confusion.

I took the lift upstairs and through the private security channel which was quiet. I even managed to have a few laughs with the security team there as they seemed keen to chat.

I arrived into the CH with a warm welcome and having missed lunch found a table for something to eat. The CH menu has recently changed. I enjoyed some breaded pickles and Lamb kofta which were delicious.

image.jpg
image.jpg (336 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

The Sweet and Sour chicken was outstanding.

image.jpg
image.jpg (311.63 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

I also enjoyed the Homemade Williams GB Gin & Tonic and Elderflower sorbet which was refreshing and soooooo enjoyable!

image.jpg
image.jpg (283.76 KiB) Viewed 9282 times

I also tried after having my arm twisted to do so....the delicious Warm doughnut which was amazing and if you pass through the CH do try it...very good indeed.

With Wimbledon around the corner, a lanson promotion was underway with the pool table converted into a table tennis table and large tennis balls around the CH too.

Service throughout was attentive and friendly ( I have a full copy of the latest LHR CH menu if anyone would like me to share this?) My time in the CH was spent enjoying a couple of redheads, had a haircut and left the CH on the first call at 1930.

Reached Gate 19 quickly now that the moving walkways are back in use. Boarding was underway so made my way, down the air bridge (handed a small bottle of water) and then through L1 onto 'Varga Girl' where I was welcomed warmly at the door.

I already knew UC would be full so took my seat quickly and settled in. Champagne, OJ or water were quickly offered. This was soon followed by sleep suits, newspapers and magazines.

The menu was already on the ottoman along with the amenity kit. Refills of drinks were offered as an impressive thunderstorm was taking place outside. Sure enough the airport was closed to departures (though not arrivals) and we were kept informed of progress.

With the all clear given we pushed off the stand at 2112 so quite a wait. During the ground time, drink and food orders were taken on the ground saving time in the air. Hot towels were also offered on the ground.

Take off came at 2127 with a flight time of 7hrs7mins promised. Both UC and PE were full though a few seats were available in Y. A flight crew of 2 and a CC of 13 were onboard.

Drinks were quickly dispatched with crisps and missing the Elderflower Collins which was on the last menu cycle I have a new favourite...the Sapphire South side which a mix of gin, raspberry and mint topped with raspberries. Delicious.

Tables were quickly set for dinner after a top-up of drinks. I should mention the CC. The FSM was wonderful. She was a natural leader, oozed personality and showcased her crew. She stopped by to introduce herself and referred to me by name throughout. Small things but which make a difference, a big difference. She was very visible.

Sadly the CSS who I didn't interact with very much (and she was an FSM acting as the CSS and leading the service in UC) was very different. She hardly smiled and huffed and puffed at certain times of the flight. When she did interact with me and I used her name, she smiled and was ok.

The flight would have been very different I am sure had she been in charge!

I won't recycle the menu as its been mentioned before but I skipped a starter as I was still full from the CH and the choice didn't grab me. I picked at the Roast Chicken with gnocchi which lacked a sauce of some description but tasted quite bland.

The strawberry creameaux pannacotta slice was light and sweet and hit the spot. The cheese trolley was brought around but as it was now past 11pm and I was stuffed it was time to wave it on by!!

I will say the CC did a great job of keeping glasses topped up and three offers of bread were made. This really was an engaged and team focused CC.

Lights out and we settled down. The IFE on the A340-600 is below par compared to the A333s and 789s and I just can't help but touch the screen and look a complete fool for doing so!

The seat was in good shape and was comfortable. The bar area was quiet and when I visited the washroom I found the CC making flowers for their hair from the red napkins, it was that kind of flight and crew and they did all wear them for the rest of the flight!

Drinks were regularly offered and the snack basket was brought around too which is filled with jelly beans, olives, crisps, biscuits and chocolate.

About an hour out of JFK the Extra bites menu options were offered. Not many takers though I did enjoy the burger and some mini cakes which were not on the menu but the crew mentioned they had been loaded. It was all delicious and washed down with hot chocolate.

Touch down came at 2320 local and we finally reached T4 at 2342. A few cheery goodbyes to the crew and we were off to be through immigration quickly ( a first for me at JFK)

Delays happen and I got the time back on the return as we were over an hour early but this was a good flight with a great crew. The menu doesn't stand out to me which is always the case when I have a few flights coming up!

Thanks for reading (I'll post some further photos in the comments below...)

Jon
#922979 by horburyflyer
20 Jun 2016, 16:49
This was the famous CH warm doughnut that I raved about....the photo doesn't do it justice! So a warm doughnut filed with clotted cream ice cream and strawberry jam...

image.jpg
image.jpg (259.94 KiB) Viewed 9278 times

...and once on board my new fav the 'Sapphire South Side'

image.jpg
image.jpg (383.39 KiB) Viewed 9278 times
Last edited by horburyflyer on 20 Jun 2016, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
#922980 by horburyflyer
20 Jun 2016, 16:53
....not a great photo as the cabin was quite dark....but Roast Chicken and gnocchi (Lemon and thyme chicken with asparagus and ricotta gnocchi, wilted spinach and blanched asparagus and herby tomato)

image.jpg
image.jpg (403.32 KiB) Viewed 9278 times

....and the dessert of Strawberry creameaux pannacotta slice.

image.jpg
image.jpg (404.06 KiB) Viewed 9278 times

....and the burger and mini cakes from the Extra bites menu.

image.jpg
image.jpg (380.21 KiB) Viewed 9277 times
#922984 by buns
20 Jun 2016, 17:34
Jon

Thanks for the detailed TR and the super snaps.

One of those flights where VS casnnot be beaten it would seem - despite the CSS ;-)

If only we could check the Crew through expert flyer 8-)

Thanks once again

buns
#922987 by ScoobySu
20 Jun 2016, 18:19
Many thanks Jon for such a great report - that doughnut looks so yummy!
#922995 by David
21 Jun 2016, 08:26
Jon,

Another solid trip - you must be racking up the tier points of late ;-)

Does the timings of that flight help with the jet lag or make it worse ?

thanks again

David
#923003 by Fabflygirl
21 Jun 2016, 17:25
Thank you for taking the time to post your trip report! That doughnut looks fabulous. If you wouldn't mind posting the new LHR CH menu, I would love to see it. I am eager to see what is in store for my next trip. :-D
#923012 by horburyflyer
21 Jun 2016, 22:44
David wrote:Jon,

Another solid trip - you must be racking up the tier points of late ;-)

Does the timings of that flight help with the jet lag or make it worse ?

thanks again

David

A busy flight period for sure David.... :-D

I actually like the VS25. Personally if I don't sleep on the flight I sleep well in New York and feel quite refreshed the next morning.

If I fall asleep....it can turn things upside down somewhat!!

Jon
Virgin Atlantic