Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#923347 by JasonLewis
04 Jul 2016, 17:43
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
PLEASE NOTE: This report is for flight VX941 -- not 949 -- but, again, that option is not available on the pull-down menu.

The 90-mile drive from Santa Barbara to LAX took three hours! Fortunately I had (somewhat) allowed for that, and we were not that late in arriving for our flight. Not sure why, but Sunday at 5:30 pm is apparently a good time to hit Security, because the lines were a) short, and b) our TSA Pre-Check got us through in no time at all.

LAX is indeed somewhat depressing -- I don't think Terminal Three has gotten a face lift since it was built in the early 1960s! The ground crew was bored, as they were throwing around a tennis ball (different gate than ours; nothing for them to do, apparently), which I wouldn't have minded so much if they were good at catching it. (One doesn't expect to be hit with a tennis ball at Wimbledon, much less LAX!) Boarding began about 15 minutes past the scheduled time, but all went smoothly, and we made up the time while in the air.

The flight was smooth, the service up to its usual high quality, and the time passed quickly. All in all, a fine time . . .
#923358 by JasonLewis
04 Jul 2016, 20:44
Welcome to LA . . .

When I used to live there, Santa Barbara was 90 miles away and it took an hour and a half (90 minutes). Our drive up (LA-SB) took 2.5 hours! It was just bumper-to-bumper almost all the way up (and when we were able to hit the accelerator, we were able to do so for no more than 1-2 miles before hitting the brakes and doing 15-30 mph).

We thought we'd play it safe and figure on 2.5 hours back, but it took a full three hours! Traffic was even worse. When we mentioned it to the driver who took us from the rental car agency to Virgin America @ Terminal 3 (we rented from Silvercar), he said, "Yeah, that's about typical."