Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#923520 by vlo_25
07 Jul 2016, 00:49
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was my first flight in premium economy in just over a year (I’ve recently been flying in economy), so I was really looking forward to it. Those who have read my trip reports before may know that premium economy is my favourite cabin- I even prefer it over upper class because I consider it better value for money. However, my opinion has sadly been changed by my experience on this flight.

I’d selected my favourite seat (19C) well in advance and check in was completed 24 hours before (Seq 1 :-D ). Bag drop was very quick at Gatwick as I was invited to check in at the Upper class desk, due to a small queue at premium economy check in. Premium security was slow as usual- it seemed every other bag was selected for secondary search! I decided to see if the Upper class lounge was allowing paid entry, but sadly they were too busy so I settled for breakfast at Costa and a wander around the shops.

The gate was displayed exactly one hour before departure and when I arrived they were letting everyone straight on the plane. I settled into my seat and was promptly offered a glass of prosecco, which I thought was a sign of good things to come. Sadly I was wrong. The entertainment system is still very good though and seemed to be working for everyone in our section. The seat was also as comfy as I remember, with plenty of legroom. That’s about the only thing that distinguishes premium economy from economy now though.

The pre-dinner drinks service came but there was no sign of my requested special meal. After asking a member of the cabin crew, I was informed there was no record of my request. Thankfully there were still some vegetarian meals left though, so I was given one of those. However I was shocked by what was presented as the premium meal service.
When I last flew in premium economy, the meals were served on white tablecloths, with a choice of fresh baked bread rolls and proper cheese and biscuits served on the side. This time the meal arrived on the same plastic tray as economy, with the same pre-packaged bread roll (cold) and tiny packet of cream cheese and biscuits. I flew in economy recently and recognised these as the exact same items offered in the economy cabin. The meal was of no better quality than in economy- a salad to start, a standard vegetarian chilli with white rice and a mango mousse. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. I also noticed that the small bottle of wine I was given with dinner was the same as that offered in economy, though I believe in the past this has been different.

Still, at least I had the after dinner brandy to look forward to… or so I thought. Tea and coffee were offered but there was no sign of the after dinner drinks. I thought that perhaps they were a little busy so I decided not to ask and wait a little longer. The duty free trolley came and went and then the fab lollies were brought round- apparently brandy was not going to be offered ;-( . The paid snack trolley came round later though, with the staff pushing the over-priced pringles and sweets. I was quite disgusted by this, because there was no mention of the wander wall with the free snacks they’ve had in the past. The staff also didn’t make it clear that the snacks were not free, which led to some embarrassment with other passengers.

Afternoon tea was slightly better, with a warm scone served alongside two little cakes and some finger sandwiches. Soon afterwards we started our descent into Orlando and arrived about half an hour early. This meant we just about managed to avoid being taken to a holding room and went straight to the immigration hall. It was the usual 45 minute wait for immigration, which wasn’t too bad but the queue for customs was just as long. Still, I managed to get to my hotel in just over 2 hours after landing, which is pretty good.

Overall, the flight would have been great if I was flying in economy, however it was a complete disappointment as a premium economy flight. The price is almost double that of economy and yet the only difference between the two cabins now appears to be the seat. This is just not enough to justify the extra cost anymore, especially because I could pay far less for an extra legroom seat in economy. I promptly contacted Crawley Towers about the issue, but received a very generic apology with no real explanation as to what has happened to premium economy. A goodwill gesture of 8000 miles was offered, but I was very disappointed that the only service they confirmed is still offered is the wander wall. There was no mention of a catering issue, which makes me worry that this is now the meal service we can all expect in premium economy. Next time I will be flying in economy again- much better value for money!

Thanks for reading :-)
#923529 by buns
07 Jul 2016, 05:45
Thanks for the TR

I have to agree that your experience was disappointing compared to the pre-austerity changes implemented by VS.

A common theme emerging is how it seems the crew reductions are hitting the 747 routes harder than the rest of the fleet. Given how these routes have been cash cows for VS in the past with premium prices due to demand, I think VS have made a grave mistake in diminishing the PE product at a time when there are other airlines snapping at their heels.

As the holiday season kicks in and the flights to MCO become full, VS could find themselves catching a cold and not get that repeat business all companies need.

Thanks for the warning about MCO arrivals :-(

buns
#923532 by hiljil
07 Jul 2016, 07:13
Thank you for your TR. I was sorry to read about your poor experience in PE , and, like Buns, I think VS could be making a mistake here.
#923542 by SlimpyJones
07 Jul 2016, 09:04
Thanks for the TR. Interesting that you had such a different experience in PE than anyone else has here (particularly food, paid snacks, etc). I flew PE to LAS only a week prior and had the usual dinner offering and no paid snacks trolley came round. Perhaps they're trialing something new?
I have to be honest though I don't remember a tablecloth ever being laid in PE.
#923557 by marshy11
07 Jul 2016, 11:13
Thanks for the TR. Paid snacks is a new one on me (but I haven't flown PE for some years).

Hope you enjoy(ed) MCO.
#923577 by julmops
07 Jul 2016, 13:09
Thanks for a very interesting TR. Flying that same route and flight in January next year in PE and getting a little bit concerned ...
I would have enough miles to upgrade both of us to UC but we are on non-upgradeable PE fare so will have to be happy with whatever comes but will make sure that the FSM is made aware of such issues if it happens to us.
#923588 by vlo_25
07 Jul 2016, 14:43
Thanks for reading everyone :) I was surprised about the paid snacks trolley too- they've always been available and are listed in the duty free magazine, but on my flight they came round with them on a trolley.

The tablecloths used to arrive already folded over the trays in premium economy, with the meal placed on the top. I always thought it was a nice touch but maybe this has been missing for a while...

I have to agree that if VS is diminishing the premium economy offering then it is a mistake. I've been a repeat flyer with them for many years in all cabins, but this recent experience has made me think again about staying with them. My hope is that they will carefully consider feedback and return the product to its former version, which was always excellent before.
#923590 by vlo_25
07 Jul 2016, 14:52
An update: Just as I wrote my previous post a second email has arrived from VS customer service. I followed up on whether certain items have been removed from premium economy now and they have responded that all of the following should still be offered: fresh baked bread rolls, linen tablecloths and brandy after dinner. They don't know why none of these were offered on my flight but hopefully everyone else flying in PE in the future should get these :)
#923637 by Amo
08 Jul 2016, 05:59
Thanks for the TR - it's a shame to hear the standard appears to have slipped.

vlo_25 wrote:An update: Just as I wrote my previous post a second email has arrived from VS customer service. I followed up on whether certain items have been removed from premium economy now and they have responded that all of the following should still be offered: fresh baked bread rolls, linen tablecloths and brandy after dinner. They don't know why none of these were offered on my flight but hopefully everyone else flying in PE in the future should get these :)

I think the CS advisor could be wrong in this instance - I flew in PE in April (just checked through my TR again!) and they definitely served me a cold stale roll a la Economy. I even felt the need to mention it in my TR!!

In this day and age VS really need to be convincing people to part with their money. When people are being left with the impression that actually economy is better than PE (apart from maybe the seat)....they should be worried.......
#923668 by tomthumb
08 Jul 2016, 20:15
MoJoJo wrote:That looks quite nice!

I agree, it does
#923671 by Hev60
08 Jul 2016, 21:57
Interesting TR and sad you feel the PE product has deteriorated. I also add to many others' comments I really couldn't recall that linen tray cloth but Dickydotcom has proved us wrong. What year was that photo from D?

I have just read your return TR and you sound far more positive. I've always loved travelling PE in the bubble as I felt it was very special, so now it appears the Economy section up there is a hit too.

I shall watch other PE trip reports with interest.
#923674 by joeyc
08 Jul 2016, 22:25
There should be a linen table cloth draped over the tray in PE. Not sure why it wasn't in this instance and I am sorry to read that your experiences were not up to scratch.

My last PE flight was back in November and I've just checked the photos, there was a table cloth on the tray. One of those things that people don't notice until it is gone I guess. Our bread was served from the basket too.

There isn't a wonderwall on the B747s but I do agree that for the crew to use the duty free trolley as a 'snack run' was inappropriate. I hope Crawley towers take your feedback on board for the future.

Cheers for the TR :cool:
#923725 by Hev60
09 Jul 2016, 20:00
dickydotcom wrote:
Hev60 wrote: What year was that photo from D?

It was 2014

Dick D

Amazing. I think the last time we flew PE was into Los Angeles and back from LAS in 2013 but I really cannot remember the try being so nicely laid out :-)
Virgin Atlantic