Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#924424 by buns
01 Aug 2016, 22:18
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
For avid readers of the series "Buns and the Trip Reports of Doom and Excellence" you will have already caught the spoiler that this was an excellent trip :)

However, this will not get converted into a stage show unless I put some meat onto this teaser (although there will be a shock at the end), so I best start with a prologue:

Mrs Buns and I had been holding off booking a full length trip due to a combination of family and work commitments, so when a window of opportunity opened, it was going to be at pretty much full price and at a time when we do not normally travel to Orlando - and as much as I admire those of you that do the ex-EU method, we could do without any more stress - so we bit the bullet and booked UC returns in June for travel in July.

The day could not come quick enough and so at 8am the trusty Tristar Driver was waiting at our door to whisk us the 30 minutes to Gatwick - as many of you may recall, this was the hottest day of the year, so the air conditioned comfort of the car (which was to feature as our journey progressed) was welcomed and I was able to guide the driver through a shortcut, that kept us away from the M25!!

One of the benefits of using Tristar as opposed to local taxi firms, is that they can gain access to the upper level of the South Terminal, so once we bade our farewell to the driver, it was a short walk (aided of course by a moving walkway as there was no way of running on such a hot day) to the Upper Check In. All the desks were occupied with some large family groups, so we did have to wait a short while before we were summoned forward.

A pleasant enough encounter, but nothing really memorable, and we were soon on our way up the escalator at the rear of Zone A and heading towards the Premium Security Channels and I have to say, the process seems to get more and more slicker every time I use it. After scanning your passport, you are directed to a specific section (just like a Disney ride) where you disgorge your stuff into a bin before going through the scanners. Very slick and something the TSA at MCO could do well to learn from :-(

All approved, we then cut through the corridor at the back and made our way to the Entrance of the Clubhouse - something we did notice at the entrance was two pop up signs directing customers for the Club Rooms elsewhere. It later transpired that the staff at the Clubhouse have been inundated with customers of the No1 Lounge facility and had to resort to getting the signs erected to prevent further confusion. I do wonder if the same will be the case when the move to the North Terminal ??

As always, we were warmly greeted as we approached the desk and waved through and we took our seats at the brasserie to get that first glass of Champs and order breakfast. The Acting Manager soon came up (as she had been on the phone when we had arrived) and greeted us personally. I know I sound like a broken record, but I will always say the service in the Gatwick Clubhouse far exceeds that in its larger sister Heathrow even though the former will never have that "wow" factor. Loyalties to ones own House can never diminish ;-)

As we consumed our full breakfast, we were offered a second glass of fizz and I immediately noticed a difference - fearing Lanson was in the process of being replaced by the dreaded Gardet weaselling its way into the Clubhouse, but in fact it was Jacquart :cool:

We then retired to our usual position in the snug and the Clubhouse was pretty full until the Caribbean flights had been called. One of the benefits on this particular day was the main airside terminal was rather hot and the air conditioning of the Clubhouse at the entrance area was struggling a bit, so being at the back was very much cooler. Indeed, this may be one of the only times I had not ventured out during a stay in the Clubhouse. Had a long chat with the shoeshine man as he was having a slow time with everybody seeming to wear flip flops on such a hot day!! He is a really nice guy and has the knack of putting everyone at their ease from those who are visiting the Clubhouse for the first time, through to those who are regular guests - he mentioned how SRB always has his shoes shined and had done so on the day the VS A350s were announced. Also, the bar kindly let me watch how to make a Bramble ;-) A new edition to the repertoire :-P

After customary spa treatments (Mrs Buns going the full nine yards) it was time to leave the Clubhouse ;-(

As we made our way to Gate 32, I recalled the old days when the Clubhouse had a private lift down to the little monorail that took you to the Satellite Terminal 8-)

Warmly greeted as we boarded Jersey Girl and for those who read my last ex-LGW TR, you will understand my trepidation, but I was soon reassured when the opening FSM Announcement said that she would be in charge of the Upper Cabin. It later transpired that the CSS who was supposed to be working the Upper Cabin had phoned in sick at 11am that day and it had been too late to get a replacement, so she stepped up to the plate and this clearly influenced the crew as they all performed marvellously during the entire flight.

The UC Cabin had only one seat free and PE was pretty full too so the total of 355 passengers suggested there was a little space at the back. Push Back was on time and after a swift taxi we were soon in the air.

Cabin service started quickly and it was soon apparent that whilst everyone in the UC cabin was being looked after, Mrs Buns was being given that little bit of extra attention - i should perhaps explain that I had moved her from 12K to 8K to give her a chance to rest, so was seeing things from a distance. Drinks and crisps soon served followed by dinner orders being taken - here both Mrs Buns and I were asked first as we seemed to be the only Golds in the Cabin.

The June UC menu cycle for Gatwick fleet is as follows:

Starters
Marinated prawns and Avruga caviar
Classic Nicosia salad
Italian tomato and basil soup (v)

Mains
Fillet of beef and sweet potato mash
Roast chicken and gnocchi
Roasted sweet pepper (v)
Kiln roasted smoked salmon salad

Pudding
Lemon curd sponge pudding
Strawberry cream pannacotta

Cheese
Brie
Applewood wedge
Stilton

I skipped the starter, but Mrs Buns went for the salad and said it was very good. We both had the steak and unlike my last trip, this time I had a full portion - again we both found this very good (given the limitations of an aircraft presentation). I then went on to have the pannacotta, followed by the cheese.

Seeing now the new style of serving in the UC Cabin, using the trolley to undertake the table laying gives a better sense of crew interaction that the individual service of old. Here I have to say that seeing how it was supposed to be as opposed to what i was presented with last time means that I can take back a bit of the criticism of VS Management as it is now clear that my crew in May were well below standard (which you may recall VS Customer Service initially refuted).

Throughout the flight the CC engaged with everyone in the UC Cabin and i have to say this impressed me - there were two young children in the cabin and they managed to keep themselves entertained and the rest of us really wanted for nothing.

In between watching the films - Hail Caesar and Dads Army (the latter being surprisingly good in comparison to the original), both Mrs Buns and I had chance to individually chat to both the FSM and the other Crew. I was left with the impression that I had the VS of old - real engaging, interesting and responsive. This is something i will be writing to Crawley Towers about. Mrs Buns was taken aback as to how much the Crew respected the amount of travel she had down with VS and wondered why they knew this??

After taking afternoon tea - which was also good - the crew cleared down the cabin and it was soon time to land at Orlando. As we pulled up to Terminal B, I saw four 747s lined up and feared the worse. However, after bidding farewell to one of the best crews we encountered, we got to an empty Immigration Hall and were through Immigration and customs within 45 minutes and were out before our driver had arrived.

All in all one of those flights that becomes memorable for the right reasons - super service in the Clubhouse followed by recognition onboard by a super FSM making it one of those flights where VS get it right and cannot be beaten.

Oh, the surprise? Upon checking whether the miles and Tier Points had been added (we had registered for the promotion to added TPs and Miles) Mrs Buns is now a Gold for life with no need to re-qualify!!! I on the other hand have to carry on ;-)

Thanks for reading.

buns
#924430 by Bretty
01 Aug 2016, 23:55
Thanks for the TR buns, it sounds like all was as we've come to expect from VS and that you had a great flight. Having now had my first experience of a VS crew that one could say was "meh" (still haven't done my TRs), I appreciate even more just how good the whole experience can be when everything is right.
#924431 by honey lamb
02 Aug 2016, 00:08
What a lovely TR, buns and congratulations to Mrs B on attaining Gold for Life.

Also, the bar kindly let me watch how to make a Bramble ;-) A new edition to the repertoire :-P

YAY!! Can't wait to try one :D

All in all one of those flights that becomes memorable for the right reasons - super service in the Clubhouse followed by recognition onboard by a super FSM making it one of those flights where VS get it right and cannot be beaten.

I agree! It's yet to be beaten.

Glad you had such a great trip and are truly refreshed after your break
#924434 by hiljil
02 Aug 2016, 07:01
Thank you for such an enjoyable TR. How good to be able to read such a glowing report & congratulations to Mrs B on achieving her gold for life.

Oh yes, I remember that private lift from the CH. The final wow factor before reaching the plane. :-D
#924436 by jfenney
02 Aug 2016, 07:47
Thanks for a very informative TR Buns and glad you had a great crew and service. Well done to Mrs B for achieving Gold for life not jealous at all :-D
#924439 by ScoobySu
02 Aug 2016, 10:33
Thank you Buns for a wonderful report - so pleased to hear that you had a great crew and flight after your dismal Dubai flights!

So pleased to hear that Mrs Buns was being looked after as well ;-)
#924463 by buns
02 Aug 2016, 15:47
Thanks for all the kind comments - indeed a remarkbale flight crew and it certainly makes a difference, irrespective of class flown.

Currently working on the return TR ;-)

buns
#924488 by tomthumb
02 Aug 2016, 20:17
Many thanks Buns for the TR and Mrs B a Gold for life - wow
#924626 by buns
07 Aug 2016, 11:40
iforres1 wrote:Top TR Buns and great to read of Sandra's Gold for Life, I am sure she will make good use of it :-)

Iain

Thanks

I am sure that Dubai will feature at some point in our future travels ;-)

buns
Virgin Atlantic