Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#924659 by horburyflyer
07 Aug 2016, 21:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
So I was connecting from NYC and was worried about the weather....check in at JFK was just ok. No smiles or chit chat and then I was off to security which for once at JFK was quick. That said it was before the evening rush!

The JFK SkyClub was busy and had just switched from the breakfast to lunch offer. A quick G&T and then it was downstairs to the gate. The MD88 was on the stand and we were invited to board. Pre-flight beverages were offered and the flight was solid.

A flight time of 1hr50mins and a pretty seamless flight - quite rocky in places which I quite like and a round from the snack basket which included chips, chocolate, hummus and the usual Delta offer of pretzels, peanuts and biscoff cookies. We then arrived into Atlanta at the start of a thunderstorm which closed the airport shortly after our arrival.

Many flights were diverted of course and I started to wonder if we would leave ontime. The VS aircraft had all made it in safely before the storm. The Delta SkyClub at the F concourse is pretty good. On offer was pasta, chicken, two types of soup, salads, fruit, a seasonal treat of poached peaches, snacks and a full bar.

Boarding began at 1820. I already knew the flight was due to be full in J but on boarding I was one of the first on. The CC quickly sprung into action and offered Champagne, OJ and water. The menu and amenity kit were already on the ottoman.

Refills were offered as we sat in the ground waiting for the missing passengers. The airport had reopened at 1815. In the end we left behind over 100 passengers who were either on diverted flights or simply wouldn't make it.

Whilst we waited drink and dinner orders were taken on the ground. We pushed back at 1906 and were advised that we would need to take our place in the queue for departure.

The Captain promised a flight time of 7hrs20mins and advised the CC would need to remain seated for the first 30mins as we would need to take a route to avoid a line of thunderstorms in the area. A total count of 110 passengers and 12 crew detailed the number of people who had been left behind. Rather than been full we had 24 in J.

We actually skipped the line and departed at 1921. True enough it was rocky after departure and the seatbelt signs remained on for about 45mins. The CC were eventually released from their seats and service commenced. Hot towels were offered first and sleep suits were also offered.

Drinks quickly arrived. I have quite a taste for the sapphire southside which came with crisps.

image.jpg
image.jpg (297.33 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

The menu is the same for all flights from ATL, LAS, LAX and SFO currently.

Summer vegetable broth
Seafood Cerviche
Strawberry and mozzarella salad
Beef fillet with creamy mashed potato, chimichurri sauce, green beans and carrots
Tropical chicken and quinoa
Salmon fillet with squid ink fettuccini
Cobb salad with eggs, olives, roasted coconut, blue cheese and cherry tomatoes
Pecan pie
Chocolate chip cheesecake
Cheese and Port

I enjoyed the Strawberry and mozzarella salad, beef fillet and chocolate chip cheesecake.

image.jpg
image.jpg (375.38 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (381.31 KiB) Viewed 3919 times

The trolley set up service worked well once again and the CC were attentive throughout. The FSM was overseeing the service and nothing was left to chance.

Wine and water were regularly topped up. You will see that Gate Gourmet must have thought the cheesecake required two slices!! It was delicious.

It was then time to settle down. The CC provided a turndown service for those passengers who required this and used the lavender spray as a final touch. It was then lights out.

I did think (and it was G-VKSS again!) that the washrooms were in a poor state. They didn't have any hand wash and they were not dirty just heavily worned. The bar area was also heavily marked. I'm sure these will be rectified at the time of the refresh. The CC quickly placed the hand wash into the washrooms when alerted it was missing.

Breakfast service began around 1hr15mins out from MAN. Sadly the chocolate filled pastries hadn't made it onboard so settled for some coffee and a smaller plate of the hot items - well bacon, sausage and scrambled egg which were very good indeed.

No holding today and after a final round of hot towels and a goodbye to the CC who had been looking after me during the flight. They came and said thank you and goodbye which I thought was a lovely touch.

We touched down on 23R at 0730 and after a slow taxi we arrived onto stand 210 at 0743. I was the first off the aircraft and immigration was horrendous.

I darted towards the automatic machines which were not open but as I approached them I was directed to the front of the long line....pure luck I am sure but the guy who was following me couldn't believe his luck. I think he thought I was some kind of celebrity as it looked and felt like they had waited for me to arrive and direct me to the front...right place right time that's all.

The luggage was quickly off and I was waiting for my train at the station at 0815 so pretty quick indeed!

Another great VS experience. A solid friendly CC who were attentive throughout and worked as one team with an on the ball FSM who remembered me from a flight to MCO last summer.

Thanks for reading.

Jon
#924703 by tomthumb
08 Aug 2016, 19:39
Nice solid trip - thanks for the report
#924752 by buns
10 Aug 2016, 06:14
Jon

Thank you for yet another super TR :)

Mrs Buns always wonders why I book connecting flights with a huge layover - I showed her this TR so she understands!!

The trolley set up service worked well once again and the CC were attentive throughout. The FSM was overseeing the service and nothing was left to chance.

VS ought to paste that comment in big letters at The Base in Crawley :-D
InterestingThanks once again

buns
#924929 by horburyflyer
14 Aug 2016, 11:22
buns wrote:Jon

Thank you for yet another super TR :)

Mrs Buns always wonders why I book connecting flights with a huge layover - I showed her this TR so she understands!!

VS ought to paste that comment in big letters at The Base in Crawley :-D
InterestingThanks once again

buns

Thanks buns. I was very lucky to just make into ATL before things closed down...otherwise I would have been one of those getting left behind!

I've been lucky to have some great FSMs on my recent flights, long may that continue. :-D

Jon