Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#924785 by Katcool
10 Aug 2016, 15:44
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was the homeward leg of our ex Dub trip which was an UC flight from MCO-MAN. The trip had started with a one way Ryan air flight to Dublin before the ex DUB route started. We then flew BA to LHR, staying overnight in the Heathrow Marriot and then flew VA to LAX. We had a fabulous week in Anaheim seeing the sights of LA and Disneyland. I booked a separate Delta flight to MCO and we’d spent two fabulous weeks at the Grand Floridian.

I would have preferred to have been on the earlier flight to MAN which departs at 18.30 but the ex DUB routing would only offer the later time of 19.55. After arriving at MCO the check in staff welcomed us but I noticed that our luggage had been checked through to Dublin. We had an ‘overnight’ stay in Manchester which I then explained and the check in lady apologised for her mistake and reissued new luggage labels. We were amazed at how quickly we managed to negotiate security and were sitting in the Delta lounge within ten minutes of entering the airport. The Delta lounge is very pleasing although the food quality isn’t huge – soup, snacks, popcorn, biscuits etc but there’s enough to stave off hunger pangs and the time passed very quickly. We had a quick wander around duty free and bought the usual couple of litres of vodka!

We’d chosen our favourite seats of 6, 7 and 8 and were offered a welcome drink on boarding. As on the outward journey the FSM didn’t appear to be anywhere around but the CC was doing a stirling job of keeping drinks topped up. The captain informed us that that the flight time would be 7 hours 20 minutes but that it could be a little bumpy on the way out (this proved to be for the first two hours!) and we were soon on our way. I ordered a vodka and lemonade although had to drink it really quickly to avoid any spillage on the table due to the bumps! That’s my excuse and it was quickly topped up! UC was full with three families and a couple and after a few hellos everyone settled down for the flight.

I opted for a sleep suit and changed immediately however DS and DH decided not to bother. Orders for dinner were taken quickly, my choice being the asparagus soup and the beef filet. I found the soup to be excellent and really enjoyed the beef and as I do enjoy my meat on the well done side. DS opted for the curry and said it was delicious. None of us opted for the cheese trolley as we were all completely full by now.

As soon as dinner was finished the cabin lights were dimmed and most of the cabin decided to sleep. I watched the movie Race which was excellent. During the film the excellent CC came through to ask if I needed anything so I opted for an amarula! By this point sleep was calling so I put the seat into bed mode and managed to grab a couple of hours before I was being wakened with breakfast. I’d ordered rice krispies and waffles which went down a treat. DH had the full works as usual and DS fruit and porridge. We were soon landing into a dreary Manchester and our excellent CC wished us goodbye. I thanked her for her excellent service – she was a credit to VA and I’ve already sent an email to Crawley.

Again, there’s nothing that I could find fault with about the flight but it just didn’t have the wow factor, I feel mainly due to the absence of the FSM. He appeared to spend a great deal of the flight completing his paper work and had very little interaction with any of the passengers.
We were through immigration within minutes and our luggage was already waiting on the carousel ready for our ‘overnight’ stay in Manchester.
#924796 by buns
10 Aug 2016, 18:51
Thanks for a super brace of TRs :)

The absence of the FSM does have an impact on the service and when you have a good FSM who makes it their job to interact with passengers, the rest of the crew follow and usually the "wow" factor appears. I sincerely hope VS review the decision to reduce staff levels.

Hope you enjoyed your stay in Manchester ;-) Well Done!!

buns