Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#925303 by mitchja
27 Aug 2016, 17:45
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
This was my super-cheap ex-DUB flight to Boston which I'd booked several months ago.

I'd managed to book it so the BA flight from DUB was the evening before and the returning flight back to DUB was ex-LGW.

I'm booked an EI flight from MAN to position to DUB and had just over 3 hours in DUB before the my Club Europe BA flight to LHR. Flight from DUB on BA was fine.

Once at London, I stayed at my usual Crowne Plaza hotel, being Platinum I was upgraded again to a club level spa suite this time which was nice.

With the VS11 not departing until 13:05 the next day I didn't have to get up at silly o'clock so had a nice leisurely morning with breakfast in the club lounge. Jumped on a hoppa bus around 8am and was soon at LHR T3.

I had been ever so slightly panicking as I was unable to OLCI for my VS flight for some reason. Tried several times the previous day and again this morning and every time it just came back as 'Sorry unable to check you in, please check-in at the airport'. The first BA flight of the booking worked OK, just not the next VS flight.

Headed to the VS Upper Class desk where there was no-one waiting. Checked in my a super agent. Very friendly and professional. Checked-in without any issues so no idea why I couldn't OLCI!

Headed up to the Clubhouse, the Upper Class wing was quite busy, however, the queue moved quickly. Warmly welcomed at the Clubhouse was didn't seem too busy considering it was a Bank Holiday weekend. Headed straight for the spa desk to book a haircut for 10:30. Had a bit more breakfast whilst I waited and went and sat outside for while up in the patio area was was great in the nice weather. After my haircut I sat in front of the bar area and as soon as it got to 11:30 I ordered a couple of the small bites from the menu which was nice.

IMG_0319.jpg
IMG_0319.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 6919 times

The service was great in the Clubhouse the whole time I was there.

The VS11 was called around 12:15 so I said my goodbyes to the Clubhouse and made my way to gate 17. Priority boarding was working well and by the time I got to the gate, there weren't many people left to board. 2 jet-bridges in use so Upper Class was boarding from door 1. I was warmly welcomed on board G-VFIT and directed to my seat 12K. The suite looked in pretty good condition, however, the arm rest was broken and wouldn't stay locked in the up position, not that you get much use out of the arm-rest on the A346's anyway as it's too far back.

I was soon offered a pre-departure drink and was welcomed on-board again by the crew working in this section. It didn't take long to get everyone on-board. There where around 10 empty seats in J. We had a total of 270 pax and 15 crew on today's flight. The CSS came round and introduced himself to everyone greeting everyone by name.

IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG (380.73 KiB) Viewed 6919 times

The doors where soon closed and we pushed back at 13:04. Today's flight would take exactly 7 hours. Short taxi and we rotated at 13:18. We where behind a Qantas A380 so had to wait a little longer to take-off.

My IFE headphone socket was very hit and miss and I had to get the plug in just the right was to get it to work properly. VERA on-demand was turned on as we pushed back form the gate.

After take-off and once the crew where released they came round and took drinks orders. Dinner was served about a hour later. Turns out my table was completely inoperable so I just moved across the aisle to an empty seat to eat dinner. Even the good old fashioned 'the crew try and force the table out using a knife' trick didn't work with my original seat table. It was well and truly jammed in.

I had the tomato & basil soup followed by the fillet of beef finishing off with the Strawberry cream pannacotta slice was was all very tasty. My duty free pre-order form was taken and duly delivered to me. note to self - remember to manually claim the miles this time (all my previous duty free spend mileage has now been added to my FC account)

G-VFIT is one of the VS A/C with newly fitted WiFi, however, it's still not in use yet.

Watched a few films on VERA on-demand, trying a few times to touch the screen and then remembering it's not the touch-screen system!! The screen quality isn't very good on VERA on-demand and I still don't like the user interface. It was much better back when it was V:Port.

The FSM whilst keeping a lowish profile was still visible and around during the flight, helping out with the meal service.

I ordered a extra bite around 90 mins before, though it turned out the crew where just about to go round and serve the formally known as afternoon tea service anyway. From the menus it's not overly clear how the crew present the second meal service as it reads as if you have to order it yourself, however, it's still offered to everyone about 90 mins before landing. I ordered the burger which I throughly enjoyed at the bar. There was also sandwiches, cakes and scones available.

I used a bar a few times, which never seems to get too busy.

Before long the cabin was being secured for our arrival into Boston. Have great views of the Boston bay area as BOS had incoming arrival delays so where sending around the bay. This added about a 15 minute delay, however, we still landed on time at 15:30 local time.

We where soon on stand parked next to a Lufthansa B747-8 which I'd not seen before:

IMG_0324.jpg
IMG_0324.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 6919 times

Said my goodbyes to the crew and it was only a short walk to immigration, which was very busy. So busy in fact a member of staff was actually holding back people back off our flight from entering the immigration area. Anyone with Global Entry though can just go through and follow the GE signs. Global Entry at BOS is right at the far end of the immigration hall.

Through GE in no time and was first at the baggage carousel. Bags started coming off within 10 minutes. Used the GE Customs exit lane and I was outside at the Silver Line bus stop just before 16:00 :-D

The crew where fantastic again on this flight and nothing was ever too much trouble. In fact every member of VS staff that I came into contact with on this journey was all brilliant and where all a credit to VS. Another fantastic VS flight :cool:

I've marked the seat down as 12K on G-VFIT is pretty knackered overall.

Currently at the InterContinental Boston enjoying the sunny weather here in Boston (which is a very short walk from the free Silver line transfer Boston South station stop).

Double promo miles and extra TP's already posted for this flight was is a bonus. I believe this promo now runs right up to the end of this year as well.
#925306 by buns
27 Aug 2016, 18:08
Thanks for your customary detailed TR James. You are making this Ex-EU trip malarkey a bit of a habit :-D

Nice to get the upgrade at the Crowne Plaza and very good to see the on board service was up to par.

Enjoy Beantown and look forward to your next TR

buns
#925335 by David
28 Aug 2016, 11:16
mitchja wrote:
Double promo miles and extra TP's already posted for this flight was is a bonus. I believe this promo now runs right up to the end of this year as well.

Great TR James.

Do you know if you can still register for this promo if it's been extended ?

Thanks

David
#925404 by mitchja
29 Aug 2016, 20:01
David wrote:
Great TR James.

Do you know if you can still register for this promo if it's been extended ?

Thanks

David

My apologies David. I was getting confused with the Upper Class 300% miles on a full fare promo. It's only that one that has been extended....sorry :blush:
#925599 by tomthumb
02 Sep 2016, 20:00
Great TR - shame about the seat
Virgin Atlantic