Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#926455 by David
22 Sep 2016, 15:02
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The beginning of this trip wasn't quite 4 weddings and a funeral but more like 4 airports in a day.

This was another Ex-Dub job but a little different to the last one in that there was an overnight in Gatwick as opposed to Dublin.

I am one that likes to build in a bit of slack to any arrangements so this meant an early flight from Edinburgh to Dublin (with an option for a later flight should anything go array with the booked one. ) a long wait in Dublin in the lounge then onwards to Heathrow.

Picked up in Heathrow then a drive to Gatwick. As mentioned, I picked Tristar for the car journey. They were much the same price as the rest of the cars, it was a nice new Merc and you get a few miles into the bargain.

The flights were fine, the car journey was fine and all in all, it was a means to an end to get to the Hilton at Gatwick for an overnight stay before Mondays flight out. It did mean however, for the first time in a long time, there wasn't much rocking needed by the time I got to the Hilton.

Check in was quick, economy lines looked very quiet and soon onwards through the premium security channel to the lovely Gatwick Clubhouse.

Sitting thinking this could be my last time in this tranquility, I thought I would add some pictures for some wonderful memories.

IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG (162 KiB) Viewed 6000 times

IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG (128.27 KiB) Viewed 6000 times

IMG_0384.JPG
IMG_0384.JPG (153.94 KiB) Viewed 6000 times

There is a slim chance we might be able to squeeze another trip in before the end of the year but more than likely, the next visit to Gatwick will be the brand new Clubhouse in the north terminal.

Trip starting pinging along with messages from v-flyer and then of course the announcement of a small delay.

Loading had started but not in the upper cabin where the fault was do we were all told to remain in the Clubhouse and remain we did for the next 2 and a bit hours.

Soon I got bored and decided I'd take a slow walk down to the gate where they were still fixing what every was broke and still not letting upper class board.

The FSM came and spoke to us, offered us a soft drink and kept us up to date and soon it was indeed time to board

David
#926456 by marshy11
22 Sep 2016, 15:08
The photos made me smile. I really love the LGW CH. I shall be there in a few weeks. Until then, I'm happy to read and admire the pics.
#926457 by David
22 Sep 2016, 15:22
Quickly settled in

IMG_0386.JPG
IMG_0386.JPG (132.91 KiB) Viewed 5986 times

It was soon apparent that this was going to be a great flight.

The FSM organised his troops very well and we were soon off and onwards to sunny Florida.

With 450 onboard the flight was pretty much full but the delay had an effect on the crews hours. There was an announcement about service in economy having to be changed but this didn't seem to have any effect on the upper service.

The new menu has been shown already and I really enjoyed the choices on it.

Starter was spicy butternut soap

IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0387.JPG (159.19 KiB) Viewed 5986 times

Main was seafood linguine

IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (140.43 KiB) Viewed 5986 times

Missed out dessert and went for the cheese and biscuits.

The guys and girls worked very hard all through the flight with nothing being a problem.

As I had suspected, the films on this trip weren't too exciting although the flight didn't drag too much and all too soon, it was time for afternoon tea.

The usual was offered along with anything from the extra bite menu although to be honest, breakfast in the Hilton, breakfast in the clubhouse, lunch of the plane was enough for me and a lovely cup of tea or two was more than enough.

The landing, into a pretty phenomenal thunderstorm was now in the dark due to the delay but we were soon at the gate and with no waiting, soon through immigration and customs very quickly thanks to Global Entry

The weather is pretty perfect and Disneys Saratoga Springs nice a quiet.

All in all a 9 out of 10 with only the delay dropping a point.

Thanks for reading

David
#926459 by David
22 Sep 2016, 15:38
Here's a couple of pics of the pools at WDW Saratoga Springs

IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG (224.92 KiB) Viewed 5969 times

IMG_0391.JPG
IMG_0391.JPG (227.91 KiB) Viewed 5969 times

The weather is wonderful. Hot but no humidity, just a pity about the exchange rate.

You really notice the 20% drop when you change some pounds for dollars.

The return flight in 10 days will be interesting to see if I manange to make Expedias 2.5 hour connection time between landing in Gatwick and checking in at Heathrow for the flight back to Dublin. You never know ;-)

David
#926467 by buns
22 Sep 2016, 17:03
David

Many thanks for the TR and the super snaps of the Gatwick Clubhouse.

Like many admirers of the Gatwick Clubhouse (and remember it was the original one) I too am apprehensive about the move to the North Terminal as the surroundings have become so familiar to us over the past 12 years, that , like many, change will be difficult to adapt to. I know the staff will do their utmost, but I am trying to squeeze in one last visit.

Thanks for the pics of the cabin and the nosh and good to hear the FSM led his team well to cope with the 450 pax.

Enjoy Orlando - judging by the number of friends out there at the moment, it must be pretty busy

Buns
#926481 by tomthumb
22 Sep 2016, 18:51
Many thanks for the TR and I will be in the CH in 71 days, not that I am counting
#926486 by hiljil
22 Sep 2016, 20:29
Thank you for a most enjoyable TR with photos that made me feel very nostalgic. I admire your stamina and routing to get to MCO. I feel tired these days just on a direct non stop flight. Glad you had such a good flight. I expect the storm you landed in was the same one which earlier closed MIA & caused us a delay in landing.

Yes, gorgeous weather so far here too in the SW of Florida. Long may it last. :cool:
Virgin Atlantic