Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#926930 by stevebrass
03 Oct 2016, 22:13
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Returning home from nearly three weeks in the States. Our trip had included Las Vegas, Grand Canyon South Rim, San Francisco, Yosemite, a wonderful train ride down the coast to Load Angeles and 7 great days doing not much in Santa Monica. Oh apart from really enjoying the Getty Centre and Getty Villa and buying an iPhone Seven for no 3 son.And see the shuttle Endeavour.
Shuttle.jpg
Shuttle.jpg (26.5 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
The Strip.jpg
The Strip.jpg (23.89 KiB) Viewed 4465 times
Grand Canyon.jpg
Grand Canyon.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 4465 times

We had mixed advice about using the Amtrak Pacific Coast Starlight but all I can say is in sleeper class it is an experience not to be missed. Sure the Amtrak needs investment and it shows in the age of the rolling stock, but what a pleasure to meander down to LA, snoozing in the sleeper car than relaxing in the parlour car watching California go by. If you get the chance - do it!

Any road up - our return flight - on Ruby Tuesday - was a paroxysm of efficiency and ease. On time, good crew, reasonable food. Why even Manchester airport managed to get the bags off in priority order. Thirty minutes from gate to car park is okay I think!

The gate manager at LAS was a gem. A tall chap with a wonderful way with managing the 440 souls around him. One classic line sticks in the mind (addressing the many who feel that milling around the gate is the best way to get everybody on board). "Folks, you gotta make like the Red Sea and Part". Imagine the voice of a a drill sergeant from Heartbreak Ridge but with humour and finesse!

So thank you VS and thank you good folks of the USA - everybody we met were simply welcoming and helpful (except for that dodgy looking fellow in the iPhone queue - you know who I mean!)
#926942 by TimCrawley
04 Oct 2016, 11:30
Enjoyed the TR, thanks for posting, sounds like you're enjoying the retirement !

The Amtrak trip is one to add to my list for March/April next year so appreciate the tip.

I think I might have heard that drill sergeant at LAS last year but can't remember the exact words he came out with but got a few laughs and a big cheer followed by some working space for people to get through so probably the same guy.
#926972 by pjh
04 Oct 2016, 20:56
Thanks for the TR. I like your description of the rail trip - very romantic. We're off to see Billy Bragg and Joe Henry do their train songs set in a few weeks, but I'm not sure the west coast sleeper features... :)

I like the sound of the guy at the gate.