Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#927110 by flowerpot flo
07 Oct 2016, 13:40
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
The day for the eagerly awaited trip finally arrived. To celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, we decided to treat ourselves to a short trip to Vegas baby! Neither of us had ever flown better than Premium before and even that was only once, so the anticipation and excitement for this flight was off the scale. (Well, for me at least - my husband is a little more laid back ...)
The lady at check-in couldn't muster up a smile as she dealt with us, but she did slightly redeem herself by coming round to the front of the desk to hand us our boarding passes. Then through fast track security in a matter of minutes, dragged the old man through the duty free in record time (picked up my lipsticks and mascara, allowed him 2 minutes to buy a newspaper) and hot footed to the lounge so I could enjoy every last minute there. I've read loads about the lounge and couldn't wait to see if it lived up to the hype. We were welcomed by two lovely staff at the desk who seemed genuinely pleased for us to be enjoying our first visit there. We filled our table with coffee, orange juice, a Bloody Mary and a Virgin Redhead. Oh, and a full English ...
Then onto the comfy seats for another cheeky cocktail and some people watching. The staff were attentive, friendly and the service was very good. Just time for a green tea before boarding. Loved the lounge!
We boarded on time but took off late - problem with another Virgin plane's tow bar or something. No worries, champagne was served and we were busy marvelling at how much room we had compared to any other flight we've ever been on! Crew were friendly enough, thank goodness. I had worried that they may be miserable as I've read they can be on other trip reports. Service was great, food & drinks great although near the end of the flight when my husband was peckish for a bit of chocolate, they didn't have any left. Lesson learned, store a bit away at the beginning of the flight. Flight was uneventful (apart from an older couple near us bunking in together once they'd put the beds down - I mean I know it's roomy, but it's not quite a double bed ...)
Immigration was smooth at LAS. We had a really miserable looking immigration officer but looks can be deceiving - he told us we didn't look nearly old enough to have been married for 20 years! Big brownie points to him :D Then off to our hotel in the stretch limo (plus bottle of bubbly) to begin our short break and look forward to a lovely, comfortable flight home again.
Definitely won't be flying longhaul in anything less than Upper again - loved every minute :cool:
#927111 by marshy11
07 Oct 2016, 14:11
Congratulations on the anniversary, we are celebrating ours in Antigua later next month. 1996 was a good year for weddings!

Thank you for a most enjoyable read. I'm so pleased you enjoyed the build-up to the holiday, it's such a lovely feeling when the morning of departure arrives. Sounds like you made full use of the CH.

I don't think I've ever seen a "bunk-up" in an UC suite - how on earth did they manage it? Hardly enough room for one....

Enjoy your time away celebrating (if you are still there) and I will look forward to the return TR. Unfortunately it sounds like you've got the UC bug now too!
#927118 by VAflyer
07 Oct 2016, 16:06
Congratulations! Great read and so glad you enjoyed your first flight in Upper Class!

I do agree with Marshy11...how on earth did they manage to bunk up?! Never seen anything like it and I think if I had it would have brought me much amusement! How very strange?!

Thanks for the TR!
#927128 by flowerpot flo
07 Oct 2016, 17:46
Thanks Marshy11 & VAflyer - 1996, definitely a year built to last! Congratulations to you too Marshy, enjoy Antigua (how could you not?)
Earning and saving miles like a maniac now - Dubai looks good for a long weekend next year ...
#927138 by ColOrd
08 Oct 2016, 07:33
Glad you had a good flight, and enjoyed the UC experience - I have to third the comments about wishing I had seen these two trying to use a UCS for two people! Im shocked the crew didn't intervene!

Hope the holiday is everything you wanted!

Welcome to the Club! Make sure you're bank manager is your friend if you're getting into the Upper Class game :-P
#927139 by ColOrd
08 Oct 2016, 07:33
Glad you had a good flight, and enjoyed the UC experience - I have to third the comments about wishing I had seen these two trying to use a UCS for two people! Im shocked the crew didn't intervene!

Hope the holiday is everything you wanted!

Welcome to the Club! Make sure you're bank manager is your friend if you're getting into the Upper Class game :-P
#927202 by tomthumb
09 Oct 2016, 19:20
Great TR and always nice to celebrate a special anniversary in style.
Virgin Atlantic