Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#939347 by Francis007
29 Oct 2017, 18:29
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
On the same flight as Meg and Tom ( Roadrunner ) and met them in the CH and had a nice chat.

We arrived at the UC Wing at about 14.30. using our own driver as our tickets were Sale tickets and not eligible for a Virgin car. The whole process of check-in went seamlessly as usual. No one at all at the Private Security Channel and we were in the CH inside of 10 minutes of arriving at Heathrow. Now we are both retired ,we only afford to do this once a year on our vacation but it really is quite special still and I don't think we will ever get blase or tired about it. We both realise how special the whole thing is and how lucky we are to be able to use it

I know there has been some criticism of the CH and the changes made in the last year or two but we found it charming and enjoyable as usual. Maybe because of the time, it was pretty empty with plenty of spare room in all parts of the CH.

We found our usual table near the Bar and my Missus made her usual appointment to have a manicure. Whilst she was doing that, I ordered my first glass of champagne. When she got back we ordered a chicken curry followed by a fresh fruit salad . All of it delicious and beautifully served

The flight was called at about 17.00 and we walked to the Gate and we were waived through the final security at the Departure Gate and boarded and got to our seats.

I think as Meg has already mentioned our plane was changed from a 787 to a A330 a few days before although we retained the same seats. The UC cabin was almost full with only 1 spare seat.

The flight was good and the Cabin Crew friendly and efficient. After having lunch at the CH I wasn't too hungry so just ordered the cheese course with a glass of port. My Missus who is a slightly anxious flyer had her bed made up and slept almost the entire way.

Even though we had been warned that the flight would arrive in Boston over an hour late because of strong winds we actually arrived on time.

Can I just add as many other have before that the old A330 is just about ok. This was an aircraft with the old 1-2-1 configuration and clearly means that the cabin is very cramped. However I think the biggest grouch is the lack of overhead bins for the centre seat passengers. Also the outside bins aren't too deep. We tried to stow our 2 smallish leather holdalls widthways ( does that make sense ! ) to make room for other passengers bags but they just didn't fit so we had to stow them lengthways.

Although we arrived on time at about 19.35. we met an absolute scrum in the Arrivals Hall because our flight got in behind 2 other arrivals. The self check machines in Immigration were only open to American passengers so we were made to queue behind about 300 plus other International passengers to be manually checked and vetted by an Immigration Officer. It took about an hour to get to the front of the queue to be met by a serious looking and extremely slow and careful Immigration Officer.

Finally collected our bags and met our pick up car and got to XV Beacon hotel just after 21.00. It was a hot and humid night in Boston town so we decided to have a little stroll around Boston Common and went for our usual first drink in the little Irish Bar opposite the hotel. ( Think it's called the Emmit Bar and Grill )

We agree with Meg that the new later departure time for the VS11 now makes it a very long day. I think in previous years before Delta nicked the earlier departure time, we would depart Heathrow at 14.30 and arrive Boston around teatime. That used to give us time to have a cuppa at our hotel , and then have a nice stroll and a first evening in Boston and have a dinner somewhere. Usually 75 Chestnut just off Cambridge Street

The next morning at 9 am we arranged for the hotel car to take us to the Hertz desk back at Logan and for the first time in 13 vacations , Hertz almost had the car we actually ordered and we were promised. Booked a Land Rover Discovery and we were allocated an Evoque so quite pleased.

Then we headed off for our first week in the town of Kerhonkson in New York State where we had rented a house.

I will try to write a trip report on our stay there if anyone interested
#939378 by marshy11
01 Nov 2017, 08:30
Thanks for the TR, sounds like you had a good flight despite the aircraft change. I read your arrival experience with interest as I'm off to BOS shortly and we're due to land at 7pm. I guess it will be what it is.
#939379 by Francis007
01 Nov 2017, 08:57
marshy11 wrote:Thanks for the TR, sounds like you had a good flight despite the aircraft change. I read your arrival experience with interest as I'm off to BOS shortly and we're due to land at 7pm. I guess it will be what it is.

Morning Marshy.

I think we were just a bit unlucky coming in behind 2 other arrivals. Also the fact that they had closed off the " do it yourself " machines to everyone other than American passengers. It was rather a long queue and wait but always worth it we think when you finally get through and my Missus and I turn to each other and say....we are in the USA again ! We will never tire of it.

I wish you a great flight to Boston and a wonderful time there. Also hope you get a 787 and not an old configured A 330. It does make a lot of difference I think

Frank
#939380 by marshy11
01 Nov 2017, 09:40
Thanks Frank.

We are on a 787 but a BA one :blush: . It will be our first First, which is very exciting. Only 8 seats in the cabin so I have high hopes. I never used to mind the A330 in UC, it is cramped but it's perfectly acceptable. Our best UC flight was in the nose of the 747.

Immigration will be busy and we'll just have to go with the flow. Like you say, it's when you're through the other side that you can enjoy where you are.
#939387 by buns
01 Nov 2017, 12:58
Thanks for the TR

Interesting what you say about Immigration. We flew to Orlando on the same day and like you, the machines were only available for US passengers. We were fortunate as there were no aircraft in front of us and were through in half an hour, however passengers on the earlier flight took 3 hours :-O

Thanks once again

buns
#939390 by Francis007
01 Nov 2017, 19:35
marshy11 wrote:Thanks Frank.

We are on a 787 but a BA one :blush: . It will be our first First, which is very exciting. Only 8 seats in the cabin so I have high hopes. I never used to mind the A330 in UC, it is cramped but it's perfectly acceptable. Our best UC flight was in the nose of the 747.

Immigration will be busy and we'll just have to go with the flow. Like you say, it's when you're through the other side that you can enjoy where you are.

Oh dear Marshy, you are going up a step or 2 from our very common a muck UC seats in VA !!!! First in BA eh. Please let us know how it went when you can.

Also,looking at your future flights, I see you are a bit like me and my Missus and like watching big blokes playing with rather odd shaped balls ! :cool: You are off to Rome to watch the 6 Nations. Very very envious
#939391 by marshy11
01 Nov 2017, 21:45
Francis007 wrote:
marshy11 wrote:Thanks Frank.

Oh dear Marshy, you are going up a step or 2 from our very common a muck UC seats in VA !!!! First in BA eh. Please let us know how it went when you can.

Also,looking at your future flights, I see you are a bit like me and my Missus and like watching big blokes playing with rather odd shaped balls ! :cool: You are off to Rome to watch the 6 Nations. Very very envious

Frank, the BA F is nothing more than a few flights (to Europe where Virgin don't fly) coupled with a fairly healthy churn of BA Amex cards *and points.

As for Rome, yes we are lovers of odd shaped balls in this house - despite me being the only female (not counting the dog or the chickens!). He tells me the tickets were cheap - having had more than a few trips to Twix I can only hope they were.
Virgin Atlantic