Please use this forum is for Virgin Atlantic trip reports. There is a subforum for other airline reports.
#939746 by Trax
20 Nov 2017, 20:16
Ground Staff
Food & Drink
Entertainment
Seat
Cabin Crew
Hi,

Thought I better get to our 'return' report from our recent trip to DisneyWorld.

As can be expected, we had a fantastic 10 days in the Disney Beach resort, right next to Epcot, so great location. Weather was not too bad, with the odd cloudy day, and a bit of rain.

On the Sunday we headed to Disney Springs to check the luggage, which was totally painless, with no one waiting, so very quick. Then it was a drive back to Magic Kingdom, for a few rides on Thunder Mountain and Seven Dwarves Train (the rider swap trick meant we all got three goes with one Fastpass.....). Then it was some last minute princess pictures, for Rain of course, not me. :cool:

We drove back to MCO relatively early, hirecar rental drop off was easy. We went to the priority security, (had to ask a VA member where to go - and was direct to the 'Clear' entry). Through that section was quick, we then joined the masses to go through the rest of security, which took something like 45 mins, again a nightmare.

Because of this we didn't get the few hours we expected in the Delta Lounge, but it was a nice lounge, which was busy when we entered, but soon cleared.

We ambled down to the gate about an hour before departure, and was ready to board, onto Tinkerbell. Again we had the three front seats (6 A&K and 7A), the UC cabin was again full. Economy wasnt, as an announcement was made to say don't spread out to fill spare seats until after take off. The only difference I noticed from our VS15 out (don't know which aircraft), is that Tinkerbell's bar didn't have any seats, and you could not go behind it - i.e. the bar/table went back to the bulkhead. Still 14 seats I believe.

Again the limited overhead cabin didn't help, as we had bought lots of stuff on our last day, so had a few bags of shopping carried on. It wasn't helped by some 'miserables', who seemed to think the lockers above their seats were their own personal ones, just for their one bag......

The usual champers was accepted, and we settled down for take off, without any delay. We had a slight problem in that Rain decided she wanted to get out her seat as we were taking off, but I don't think anyone noticed. Only problem with the seat layout, in that we couldn't stop her undoing her belt, and coming to us...... :-O

Shortly after, menus where provided, including breakfast menu for later, and we were asked if we wanted to be woken. I turned Rains seat into a bed, and she promptly went to sleep, pretty much until breakfast was served. So that was good news, better than outward when she only fell asleep on approach to MCO.

So Mummy and Daddy had a nice 'date night' meal together at my table. I cannot remember starters, but I had soup. Mrs Trax had a curry, which smelt very nice, and I had something I cannot remember, but it had dauphinoise potatoes, it was nice either way. The pudding was something chocolaty. I had a red wine with the meal, followed by some port with the cheese course. All very nice, and civilised. There was an issue with the menus, as Mrs Trax ordered then I wondered why my menu had different options, she originally wanted asparagus wrapped in parma ham for starter, which was not on my menu. It quickly transpired that my menu was the correct one - and only one they had, and everyone else had been given the wrong one. Luckily we the first to order (as seems to be case of our experience being in the front seats), so my 'one' menu was passed back for people to correctly select from.

It was at this point we bought a few duty free products, which was a straight forward experience, thought why didn't have any Hennessy XO, which seemed a reasonable price.

I did try some cocktails from the list, and followed with a bit of brandy, before changing both our seats to beds. I was soon of to snooze land, and didn't even manage to watch a film. Though the entertainment system was, well I assume older than the outgoing one, as it was not touch screen, and the picture quality was poor.

We were woke up for breakfast, though I don't think I slept very well, as I didn't feel refreshed at all. Breakfast was nice, and we all enjoyed it, especially the tea in mugs. The lights remained on night setting until later, so it was a bit of a strange experience, eating breaky in the dark.

After landing, we were soon off, and quickly through passport control to the baggage reclaim, for which we didn't have to wait long until our luggage came. The Trollies take a pound coin, but the change machine for these, doesn't take new notes..... just a heads up. I am sure I had left some change somewhere for exactly this scenario, but couldn't find it.

It was great to be home, but unfortunately we had a longish drive back to the North, which wasnt helped by my tiredness. I didn't know why, bit it seems I only must have dosed for like thirty minutes in the air, so not sure if the flight was really quick, or the that I may have had too many brandies so didn't sleep well, but I expected to come of the aircraft feeling fully refreshed and ready to go. Perhaps I was expecting too much, and should have slept straight after take off, waking just for breakfast, like some (probably seasoned travellers) appeared to do - well, its what our daughter did :-D

Overal, the experience was again fantastic, and we were very happy, but something makes me think we got far more with the outward trip going UC. Maybe it was the longer flight, which was spent awake, and the Club House, plus meeting Max Verstappen...... who knows, but if we were limited and had to choose UC one way, and PE the other, I would likely to UC out and PE back. Then again, we were spoiled with PE coming back from Vegas-Man about 6 years ago, with the front two seats in the bubble, when it was all PE.

Anyways, back to saving for our next UC flights.....

Cheers,

Jonathan.
#939762 by buns
21 Nov 2017, 06:11
Jonathan

Thank you for a super TR.

Yes, I have to agree, the return experience can be somewhat different to the outbound. To my mind, it is a combination of being downhearted of going home and a tired crew (who invariably have only been in Orlando for 24 hours :-O

I suspect your Rain will be pressing you to get another trip to see the Princesses and "go on the plane where I can have a sleep on the way home" :-) :-)

Thanks once again

buns
#939767 by dickydotcom
21 Nov 2017, 09:06
Thanks for the TR.
I must admit going Upper one way and PE the other is a hard choice.
Outbound stay awake and enjoy the Upper experience, or homeward bound and enjoy the flatbed.
Personally we have gone for the PE out next year and Upper back. Unless my bid manages to buy us a cheap upgrade.

Dick D
#939804 by Trax
22 Nov 2017, 18:40
buns wrote:Jonathan

Thank you for a super TR.

Yes, I have to agree, the return experience can be somewhat different to the outbound. To my mind, it is a combination of being downhearted of going home and a tired crew (who invariably have only been in Orlando for 24 hours :-O

I suspect your Rain will be pressing you to get another trip to see the Princesses and "go on the plane where I can have a sleep on the way home" :-) :-)

Thanks once again

buns

Cheers Buns, I guess its a combination of the lot which made the trip home not as special, and as we had dinner and a few drinks, there was only a couple of hours asleep before being woken for breakfast. Rain will definitely be expecting it all the time now....

Thanks.
#939805 by Trax
22 Nov 2017, 18:46
itisme wrote:Oh wow meeting Max?! That's awesome. Nice to know he flies Virgin. Hopefully I am that lucky one day. Go the Dutch :cool:

I know, wow. It did set the experience up very nicely. I couldn't believe it when I noticed him, in fact I didn't recognise him in normal attire, until I heard him talking and had to do a double take...

He didn't spend long in the lounge, just time for a breakfast order before dash for the aircraft, which was on its final call shortly after he, and is girlfriend finished breaky. He did have time for a photo though, which I waited until he was leaving before asking for.
#939806 by Trax
22 Nov 2017, 18:49
dickydotcom wrote:Thanks for the TR.
I must admit going Upper one way and PE the other is a hard choice.
Outbound stay awake and enjoy the Upper experience, or homeward bound and enjoy the flatbed.
Personally we have gone for the PE out next year and Upper back. Unless my bid manages to buy us a cheap upgrade.

Dick D

Tough choice. Before travel, I would have always thought inbound for UC if it had to be a choice, primarily for the bed on the overnight flight, now I am not convinced, as I think I could have got the same two hours or so light sleep in PE.
Virgin Atlantic