This area is set aside for off-topic discussion. Everything that's absolutely nothing to do with travel at all... But please, keep it polite! Forum netiquette rules still apply.
#17229 by pjh
14 Jan 2007, 23:04
Until my dearly beloved passes on to me some OFSTED related typing to do, here's a question.

At the moment I'm sat on a bed in a pub on the Fylde that has 18 bedrooms. As standard they provide free wifi access in a nightly b&b rate that would pass unnoticed by most expense managers. Why is that in chains such as the Hilton (SAS Radisson a noticable exception) I have to shell out a king's ransom for the same service?

Yrs aye

Paul
#154725 by Decker
14 Jan 2007, 23:17
I'm im Galway with an equally free WiFi connection at the Harbour hotel. Interestingly last time I stayed here was an SAS Radisson and I don't remember it being free? Not to say it wasn't just that I don't remember it. It's all about target markets and market value. If you're paying 3x the rate for a room chances are you won't blink at 15Û for wifi.

I was very pleased to find it free here.
#154727 by preiffer
14 Jan 2007, 23:19
Funnily, HI Expresses in the US provide it free. Full service HI's typically do also.

Crowne Plaza and IC's (>2x the price in each case) typically charge $10-15/day.

Same with Marriott Courtyards vs. Full Marriotts. BAD form... [n]
#154729 by Nottingham Nick
14 Jan 2007, 23:20
It's also free at the Thames Hotel in Maidenhead - yet another reason to come to the V-Flyer PCP - details below. [8D];):D

Nick
#154735 by Bazz
14 Jan 2007, 23:33
Beat me to it Nick. :)

It was also free in the Holiday Inn, Buena Park, CA. However at The Signature in LAS it was included in the $15 per night Resort Fee and in the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental in SFO it was and extra at c. $12 per night except for certain room rates where it was included FOC.
#154741 by Pete
14 Jan 2007, 23:41
Does that mean we'll all have our laptops out at the Post Christmas Party, blogging the event 'live' onto the site...?
#154743 by pjh
14 Jan 2007, 23:50
Originally posted by Bazz
Beat me to it Nick. :)

It was also free in the Holiday Inn, Buena Park, CA. However at The Signature in LAS it was included in the $15 per night Resort Fee and in the Mark Hopkins Intercontinental in SFO it was and extra at c. $12 per night except for certain room rates where it was included FOC.

I must be tired; I read that as the "Mary Hopkins International". Those were the days...

Paul
#154744 by mcmbenjamin
14 Jan 2007, 23:51
Originally posted by pixuk
Does that mean we'll all have our laptops out at the Post Christmas Party, blogging the event 'live' onto the site...?

Why blog when you can webcam?
#154754 by fozzyo
15 Jan 2007, 01:05
And then there is the charging 12noon to 12noon to get the most amount of money possible from you!

The Hilton Olympia charge the pricey sum of £15 for the privilege of surfing there, and its not even wireless! The Palmer House Hilton Chicago has free internet access for those in Executive rooms - apparently. Will report back after our stay in May.

And the one I find interesting is the Wyndham group. They charge you for internet access, unless you sign up to their frequent stayers ByRequest programme. Which is of course free and easy to sign up for - when we were their last time for over a week that was a benefit we were very appreciative of.
#154757 by David
15 Jan 2007, 01:17
The Hilton @ WDW charges $10 per night, but the Hilton Grand Vacation Club (the one next to the Premium Outlets and literally round the corner from the first one) gives you free wired / wireless ??

David
#154768 by PVGSLF
15 Jan 2007, 03:58
and best of all.... some of the ones that charge you a kings ransom for access, then block VPN connections AND Skype.
#154773 by mcmbenjamin
15 Jan 2007, 04:24
Originally posted by fozzyo
The Palmer House Hilton Chicago has free internet access for those in Executive rooms - apparently. Will report back after our stay in May.

Dude I have had to pay at the Palmer House when I have been there on the Exec level or normal. Did get a wicked upgrade to this 950 sq. ft. suite with two bathrooms, dining table, bedroom, living room and full (unstocked) bar. And the rate I paid was $85.00. Pimp.
#154776 by catsilversword
15 Jan 2007, 06:40
I always feel it's worse than the sky high charges most used to charge for local calls. That was always pure profiteering in my eyes, but the who bb thing - no doubt they all pay a flat rate to receive the service, as most of us do, do they don't actually incur any charge themselves when you use it. Grrrrr.....[V]
#154777 by catsilversword
15 Jan 2007, 06:42
I've also been looking at hotels in the Cotswolds (short break need coming up!) and I noticed many of them mentioned free access. None were chain hotels - just adds fuel to the argument really.... I've noticed billboards in the US advertising some lower end hotels - they all include breakfast and free internet access. There really is no excuse for not providing this now....
#154789 by Bazz
15 Jan 2007, 10:00
Not an Hotel (although the length of time some v-flyers spend there [:I] you could be forgiven for considering it one) but isn't it time VAA provided this in the CH? Or is this "Off Topic" ;)
#154816 by VS075
15 Jan 2007, 12:38
Originally posted by Bazz
Not an Hotel (although the length of time some v-flyers spend there [:I] you could be forgiven for considering it one) but isn't it time VAA provided this in the CH? Or is this "Off Topic" ;)

Can't see any off-topicness here...but I agree VS should provide free WiFi access.
#154818 by HighFlyer
15 Jan 2007, 12:49
Originally posted by VS075

Can't see any off-topicness here...but I agree VS should provide free WiFi access.

Absolutely! In the SFO Clubhouse there was a mention of the Internet access on the menu - T-Mobile, for which you have to pay for! It's just not good enough for a business lounge.

Thanks,
Sarah
#154851 by MarkJ
15 Jan 2007, 15:28

Why don't we web cam it for those who cannot attend?[}:)]

EDITED!!
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by mcmbenjamin

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why blog when you can webcam?

Sorry Ben - should have read the whole thread!!!

Great minds anyway!!
#154857 by MarkJ
15 Jan 2007, 15:53
This is a particular bugbear of mine - I have read some articles in the Caterer Magazine recently where hoteliers talk about setting up Broadband in their establishements, there's one here and one here

There were a number of "follow-up" letters discussing thge cost v the benefits.

Personally if they can at least get some form of free wireless in the lounge area then I am encouraged to go to those hotels that have this when I am out on business. Im sure the IT bods on here can let us know the cost of such systems.

Surely one day it will just be built into the neighbourhood or house where we live? Dont some local councils run such schemes already?
#154860 by HighFlyer
15 Jan 2007, 16:03
SFO have free wireless, you can log onto 'Feeva Free' or 'Union Square Wireless' in the Union Square area. Its not exactly lightning fast but its better than dial-up, and its completely free. I cant see why holidaymakers would pay the fee for in-room WIRED broadband when they can get free wireless. In my hotel (Grand Hyatt) you could pay $9.95 for 24 hours wired broadband, or log onto either free provider. I ended up paying a few days as i can expense it back to my employer but for holidaymakers, with the Apple store down the road, i see no reason for them to even think of stumping up the hotel charges.

Thanks,
Sarah
#154863 by mitchja
15 Jan 2007, 16:17
I think the reason why lots of hotels (and this also includes the LHR CH) dont offer free Wifi is beacuse it's very difficult to restrict it to the users it's there for ie they can't stop every Tom Dick or Harry from logging on to it from beyond their boarders.

One answer is to give users a password. The Club America lounge at MIA requires a password from the staff to use the free WiFI there. Mind you if you didn't know to ask for the password to get free access, I would think some people might end up paying for one of the other WiFi providers there as there where several to choose from.

Regards
#154865 by HighFlyer
15 Jan 2007, 16:30
Good point James, though at non-shared lounges its not difficult to have a sign up saying 'Free WiFi = SSID: X Password: X. They could change the password at odd interims too to stop the leeches that travel frequently.

Thanks,
Sarah
#154877 by Bazz
15 Jan 2007, 17:11
McCarran offers free WiFi throughout the airport [y][y][y]
#154900 by vizbiz
15 Jan 2007, 18:12
Originally posted by PVGSLF
and best of all.... some of the ones that charge you a kings ransom for access, then block VPN connections AND Skype.

I'd be very interested to know which ones block Skype? That's not on...[V]
#155000 by PVGSLF
16 Jan 2007, 03:29
Originally posted by vizbiz
Originally posted by PVGSLF

I'd be very interested to know which ones block Skype? That's not on...[V]

It was a couple of the big names I've stayed at in Hong Kong and Beijing.
But then again I hear that entire countries in the middle east block VOIP. This is becuase of the large, highly paid expat communities, and the fact the the national Telcos are also the ISP's and it's in their interest to force the expat community to use their phone lines rather than free internet calls.

I guess as Sarah says, the big hotel names charge what they like for internet knowing that most people on business will simply expense the charge and consider internet access essential these days. Anyone paying for their own stay probably isn't too interested in 24hr in room internet access anyway!

But I reckon putting free wifi in lounge and bar areas could be self financing. I was staying in the Pheonix Hotel in Singapore. The in room wired broadband was painfully slow (but free!), so I spent most of my time in the bar, where there was much faster free wifi, and I could work and drink beer in comfort!
Virgin Atlantic